8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Fresco

Member Bio
Reaction score
Should this parking ticket officer be fired for his comments??
Or is it freedom of speech??

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...ccount-that-appears-to-belong-to-officer.html

Toronto police investigating racist, anti-immigrant Twitter account that appears to belong to officer

Toronto police are investigating a Twitter account that appears to be that of a city parking enforcement officer — a personal account making anti-immigrant and racist remarks, including that Muslims shouldn’t be allowed to immigrate to democratic countries.

Toronto police confirm their professional standards unit — which conducts internal investigations into the conduct of employees — is examining the now-deleted Twitter account of a user named Scott Murphy.

A Toronto police spokesperson confirmed a Scott Murphy is employed as a parking enforcement officer. Photos posted on the Twitter account show the same man pictured in a LinkedIn account belonging to a Scott Murphy who identifies as an officer with the Toronto Police Service.

Kyle Ashley, a former Toronto police parking enforcement officer, said he worked in the same platoon as Scott Murphy and said he is the same person seen in photos posted by the Twitter account. Ashley was among the first to draw attention to the account earlier this week.

The Twitter account was closed as of early Thursday, a day after the Star asked Toronto police about the posts.

The Star made several attempts to contact Murphy and outlined the allegations in this story in phone, text and email messages, but did not receive a response.

Reached Thursday, Mike McCormack, president of the Toronto Police Association, said the union has been made aware that the officer is under investigation for tweets made on a private account.

“Wake up people all Muslims need to be stopped from immigrating to any democratic country,” read one tweet from the account, posted in February. “They come, they take advantage of all we have to offer, then try and say they’re victims. I don’t see any other religion waging war on democratic countries.”

“Immigrants don’t belong here… they are welcome to come here. Big difference!!!” reads another, responding to a Toronto Star article. “It would be fine if they merged with our culture and society but they don’t. Some/most come here and take advantage of our laws and good will.”

The account also shared a graphic video of a Black man being shot by police. The original tweet, which the Murphy account retweeted, says: “There’s too many folks in the Black community who do not respect authority. They push things so far that police officers have to shoot them. #BlueLivesMatter.”

The Murphy account added: “Don’t forget that after this happens all of the kids are portrayed as alter (sic) boys in the media. Good job by this officer!!!! Keep the blue line boys!!!!”

In response to recent news that three Toronto safe-injection sites were in limbo after the Doug Ford government did not approve them, the account tweeted: “Sorry if I’m not crying for funding cut to an organization that basically takes tax payers (sic) money to help the lowest form of people on the planet. If you use drugs you assume the risk of overdosing. The rest of us shouldn’t be responsible because you’re an idiot.”

In yet another tweet, responding to an article about a proposal to add heaters to TTC bus shelters, the account wrote: “Ya great idea, all those shelters will be taken up by homeless s--- rats.”

Ashley called attention to the Murphy account on Twitter earlier this week, saying he was mad and “anyone against xenophobia should be” as well.

Ashley said in an interview he’s “outraged” and “embarrassed” as someone who was once a “proud” public servant, “because I vehemently stood up for these kinds of things, and against these kinds of things.”

Ashley became a popular online advocate for cycling and road safety in 2017, through his Toronto police parking enforcement officer Twitter account.

Viewed as a hero by cycling proponents and praised by city leaders including Mayor John Tory, Ashley’s outspoken tweets — which typically called out motorists for blocking bike lanes — prompted his managers to investigate the “appropriateness” of some of his tweets following what a Toronto police spokesperson said were “numerous complaints.”

The Toronto Police Association filed a grievance over Ashley’s treatment. He later resigned.

In another tweet, the Murphy account responded to an announcement from Marvel saying there will soon be an openly LGBTQ superhero, saying: “Here’s an idea, why don’t you worry about making a good movie as opposed to trying to make marvel movies liberal (social justice warrior) bulls---!!!”

The account also used the word “trannies” — an offensive and disparaging reference to trans people — and, when former Ontario premier Kathleen Wynne lost the provincial election, wrote: “Ding dong the witch it (sic) dead.”

There is absolutely no doubt Twitter (as a whole) is becoming increasingly toxic (and that police officer is just one of millions who make the website cringeworthy). Yes, I know that it is often a valuable source of news, but even such valuable sources are being bombarded with toxicity and Twitter relies on the sale of personal information to advertisers for revenue (just like Facebook, but not as obvious) and advertisers rely on brand image. Who wants to be associated with a hatemonger?

At least Twitter is not at Reddit stages of toxicity yet, but is quickly approaching it. Twitter needs much more moderators (and can easily afford an entire army of them).

Would you be asking "is this free speech?" if it was targeting you? Try to think harder
If he was acting on his hate, yes I would. But he's not AFAIK, and freedom of speech should be just that, freedom to say whatever you want so long as you're not acting on your hate.

There is not one person alive who hasnt hated on someone else (or a group of others).
Anyone who says they havent is a hypocrite

I vehemently disagree that you can go around posting hate-filled rhetoric and it's all A-ok so long as you don't "act" on it. But, isn't the very act of posting it, acting on it? And what if someone else acts on something you said?

I vehemently disagree that you can go around posting hate-filled rhetoric and it's all A-ok so long as you don't "act" on it.
By acting on it I mean assaulting someone or even going as far as terrorism

And what if someone else acts on something you said?
They are still responsible for their own actions, regardless whether or not they felt empowered or encouraged by someone else's hate speech.

Let me ask you, do you think everyone who tweets hate speech against Trump supporters should also lose their job(s) or be charged with a hate crime??

Last edited:
I find it interesting how conservatives go out of their way to defend Faith Goldy. Ever since pretending that she wasn't a white supremacist to run for mayor, she is back to that kind of nonsense.

They are still responsible for their own actions, regardless whether or not they felt empowered or encouraged by someone else's hate speech.

Sure, no one is suggesting that someone who commits an assault or a crime is free from blame or legal responsibility.

But neither is the person who encouraged or facilitated such behavior by dehumanizing an entire group (or groups) of people so as to suggest they are some how lesser and less worthy of equal and fair treatment.

Clearly the purpose of such language is to foment hatred and hatred begets discrimination and violence.

Not only unacceptable, illegal under Canadian law.

As it should be.

If you don't get that what Hitler said about Jews (amongst others) led to the holocaust ...............

Let me ask you, do you think everyone who tweets hate speech against Trump supporters should also lose their job(s) or be charged with a hate crime??

If they advocate violence then they should be charged. Period, end of discussion.....

If they say they hate 'one person' that is not hate speech as defined in law.

That's an opinion. Its hate speech when a whole group of people are lumped together by a characteristic such as 'race' or 'ethnicity' or 'sexual orientation' etc. and then demonized or devalued as a group.

Last edited:
I find it interesting how conservatives go out of their way to defend Faith Goldy. Ever since pretending that she wasn't a white supremacist to run for mayor, she is back to that kind of nonsense.

And then act completely shocked when you call them out on it. “I’m not a racist I just support people with racist views...cuz you know...free speech”

He should be fired. Be it white supremacists or Islamic fundamentalists and each hating each other they just don’t see that they are the same side of the same small-penis coin

Radical Islam= anti-Semitic , anti-women, anti-minority, anti LGBT, anti-democracy,

Alt Right = anti-semitic anti-women, anti-minority, anti LGBT, anti-democracy.

The only reason for Alt-Righties to reject Islam is that it's foreign, I guess.

Let's take a look at Reddit.

It is easily one of the most toxic mainstream websites on the Internet, and toxicity is the result of the website's belief in absolute free speech (with very few exceptions, most of which are implemented recently).

There are no shortages of controversial subreddits, many of which are thoroughly analyzed by mainstream news media.

Please don't view these subreddits if you value sanity.

Back