News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

If Canadians move every seven years on average why then don't these immigrants who knew no better correct their errors and relocate closer downtown similar to a lifestyle they knew back home? Or why don't the ones who made mistakes warn their families and friends when they decide to move over? I think we're giving a lot of people a pass. Instead it seems far more likely that north Americans simply have different priorities and those that move here generally like those same priorities.

Unfortunately even though most people talk about walkability and culture when visiting Europe. When they have the opportunity to buy something in Canada they tend to go for the biggest bang for the buck. I think people who sometimes immigrate from countries which are super dense see these huge houses that they could never have back home and then gravitate towards them even if it will completely change their lifestyles.

Because Europe ain't perfect either. Just as we are stuck with sprawl, Europeans have a ton of housing stock that they are stuck with that isn't ideal for them. This is where Asia offers a better example. Where they are building a much more family friendly form of high rise housing.

The ideal here isn't necessarily less space. But the same space stacked. Build 2000 sq ft 3-4 bedroom condos in 20 storey buildings. And you'll get decent density and housing that people actually want.

If Canadians move every seven years on average why then don't these immigrants who knew no better correct their errors and relocate closer downtown similar to a lifestyle they knew back home? Or why don't the ones who made mistakes warn their families and friends when they decide to move over? I think we're giving a lot of people a pass. Instead it seems far more likely that north Americans simply have different priorities and those that move here generally like those same priorities.

Canadians moving every 7 years does not mean some immigrant family settling in Scarborough or Brampton is moving every 7 years. For example, since my family immigrated to Canada in 1990, my parents have moved twice.

Back