8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Fresco

Member Bio
Reaction score
The land is reclaimed from the lake by putting piles of dirt into the water and raising the level of the land. Unlike Holland, for example, where much of the country is actually below sea level and the water is kept out by dykes
I'm Dutch, and we did the same in Ijsselmeer. They are called "polders."
I have even suggested the City do the following:

Tear down the Rogers Centre. Use the land to build a mix of condos, office towers and retail buildings.
In turn use the revenue raised from that to dry up land near Bishop airport, build a polder, and put the new Rogers Centre there.
That solves the problem of no space available to build a new stadium downtown and they wont have to build it around Ontario Place.
And you'd also essentially get the new stadium for free.

So Rogers Centre would go in red circle

polder.jpg

I'm Dutch, and we did the same in Ijsselmeer. They are called "polders."
I have even suggested the City do the following:

Tear down the Rogers Centre. Use the land to build a mix of condos, office towers and retail buildings.
In turn use the revenue raised from that to dry up land near Bishop airport, build a polder, and put the new Rogers Centre there.
That solves the problem of no space available to build a new stadium downtown and they wont have to build it around Ontario Place.
And you'd also essentially get the new stadium for free.

So Rogers Centre would go in red circle

View attachment 405490

That idea begs a few questions; I take it you know that's within the exclusion zone for the Island Airport, so you would have to shut down the airport for that to work. (I wouldn't oppose that)

There's also the matter of how you get access to the new stadium, not just for people; touring shows bring in lots of trucks full of sets and production equipment.

That idea begs a few questions; I take it you know that's within the exclusion zone for the Island Airport, so you would have to shut down the airport for that to work. (I wouldn't oppose that)

There's also the matter of how you get access to the new stadium, not just for people; touring shows bring in lots of trucks full of sets and production equipment.
1. How big is the exclusion zone around BB airport?? Looking at the map I think they can work around it.
2. Build mixed use pedestrian/vehicle bridges from current Rogers Centre parking through Queens Quay and into the stadium.

6217186_orig.jpg

If there's enough space you could even build a theme park with rollercoaster rides......etc.
Maybe even move Ripley's aquarium there??

Putting this back on topic... the roller coaster theme park should go in the lower don lands, along with the Ferris wheel and the monorail!

Reactions: max
All great ideas were at first ridiculed

Your proposal, whatever its merits, is well west of the Lower Don Lands. We all get off on tangents from time to time, that's ok, as long as we don't wander too far off for too long.

At the very least, a new spot for a baseball stadium belongs in the correct thread.

That said, I'm not completely dismissive of the principle idea (building a man made island; that's what Ontario Place is after all. )

Rather, I think the obstacles are considerable, and moreso at the specific spot you identified.

The inner harbour doesn't just have the airport; but also Enwave Infrastructure, Ferry routes, marina spots etc etc. which make that particular spot very problematic.

But rather than discuss a better spot here; or examine the practicalities in greater detail, may I suggest moving this discussion to a more suitable thread.

All great ideas were at first ridiculed
...that's assuming the idea was "great" to begin with. As it's been demonstrated through history that great ideas tend to be a rarity. /shrug

So is the City eventually gonna tear down the entire Gardiner, or are they gonna leave it up??

So is the City eventually gonna tear down the entire Gardiner, or are they gonna leave it up??

'Eventually' is a very long, open-ended time period..........

While it may one day be removed, there are no approved or under consideration plans to do so.

The Gardiner will be with us for many years to come.

That sucks!
Not really. As an eyesore as it is...it keeps most of the commuting traffic from clogging up the lake shore. So if it's going to be removed, it should be replaced with something that's not going to allow that...and that's where it starts to become really expensive, to my understanding.

Back