8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Observer Walt

Member Bio
Reaction score
I haven't seen it mentioned here, so I'll put this into a new thread. It looks like the TTC has finally decided to put garbage containers back into the subway stations at platform level. On my trip downtown today it appeared that each station from Kipling east to (I think) Keele had them. About time! Dare I hope that we might have slightly cleaner trains from now on? :rolleyes:

I saw some being installed at Keele Station by the Indian Grove exit. Put this in the about bloody time file.

I haven't seen it mentioned here, so I'll put this into a new thread. It looks like the TTC has finally decided to put garbage containers back into the subway stations at platform level. On my trip downtown today it appeared that each station from Kipling east to (I think) Keele had them. About time! Dare I hope that we might have slightly cleaner trains from now on? :rolleyes:

It was stated during a presentation at TTC meeting that garbage containers would be place on various platforms starting in May. It was to cut down on the number of tunnel fires as well cleaning the track.

It would help to get people to dump their food and etc into the containers, not the floors of subway cars and platforms.

Bloor was to be the first one.

Seen them at a number of stations, yet you will still see people throwing things onto the tracks as well the platforms.

Time will tell how well clean station and cars are.

so they took away all the old ones because they were scared the terrorists were gonna put bombs in them and now they bring back the garbage cans? why don't they just go grab the ones they threw in the leslie spit and reuse them instead of buying new ones?

What they need is TTC having by-law officers doing random spotchecks and give out fines for the offenses (which in turn should be raised). Having garbage bins at the platform level helps, but ultimately if the individual truly cares about littering, they wouldn't have disposed on their trash on the vehicle even if the bins aren't available. The fact that they did suggests to me they didn't care in the first place.

AoD

What kind of bins are they installing? I really don't mind the see through bags but something with a small opening like the ones on the streets would be enough to deter explosive devices from being thrown in.

Now that I think of it though, the problem was probably about potential terrorists gaining access to the keys to open the bin and hiding a bomb in there.
Regardless, if they were to go through that kind of trouble, they could hide them on the train itself.

The problem with the old bins was that the fact that they were ceramic.

The army has a special name for a ceramic or metal container with explosives inside - they call it a grenade. The damage from a grenade doesn't come from the explosives, it comes from the shrapnel flying everywhere.

Clear bags solved that problem, and the fact that you can see into the bags is bonus.

That's why, Prometheus, they can't use the old ones.

How about plastic? A soft rubber-like plastic would bulge and burn rather than blow up into shards.

How about plastic? A soft rubber-like plastic would bulge and burn rather than blow up into shards.

There are some plastics used in the grain industry that do just that. Grain silo explosions can be devastating.

There are some plastics used in the grain industry that do just that. Grain silo explosions can be devastating.

Again, plastic containers shrapnel flying everywhere and it will do damage in one form or another.

A plastic bag goes poof.

^ Read the comment again. Plastics can be engineered to bulge like rubber rather than to break apart.

Now that RedRocket191 mentioned it in that context, I remember having pig food barrels in my farm as a kid that were made of that soft plastic. That leads me to believe that such a plastic isn't expensive.

Garbage bins can be designed to not only not break into shrapnel, but to also contain an explosion – making them a poor choice to hide such a device.

Trash receptacles in TTC Subway stations...

Everyone: Here in the NYC area the MTA has placed blast-resistant waste containers in places like Grand Central Terminal and NJ Transit has see-thru wastecans with clear bags. At one point NYC Transit back in the 90s placed locking steel waste cans so people could not open them-like homeless people looking for 5 cent deposit beverage containers.

When waste containers were removed the litter problem got to be so much worse-I remember the TTC subway being known for its cleanliness. The chance of anyone using those waste cans is so remote for any bad intent.

Speaking of waste cans-does Toronto still have those street waste containers with the swingplate on the front embossed:
"RICKY RECEPTACLE SAYS THANK YOU"
I always that was a neat touch-for trash cans. LI MIKE

The problem with the old bins was that the fact that they were ceramic.

The army has a special name for a ceramic or metal container with explosives inside - they call it a grenade. The damage from a grenade doesn't come from the explosives, it comes from the shrapnel flying everywhere.

Clear bags solved that problem, and the fact that you can see into the bags is bonus.

That's why, Prometheus, they can't use the old ones.

got it. if they use new blast resistant bins or ones that provide more safety, disregard my past criticism.

Back