News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

With foresight, the changing exhibiton space will have been designed to accept graceful dividers for when the inevitable more delicately detailed and intimately scaled exhibitions appear.

Conversely, it's a great space for an end-of-season little-leaugue father-and-son banquet.

Two slightly tipsy matrons tried to saunter into that gallery from the restaurant lobby, drinkies in hand, when I visited on opening day.

I am happy to report that, as I was there not 15 minutes after yourself, that only the ladies were smashed, and not the ceramics.

This place is stunning at night. You can see right inside from University. Very impressed.

JG

When I came out from the ROM last Friday evening it looked stunning in the half light, with people sitting outside on the patio in full view, like actors on a stage.

I wonder if it was a dry night? Because it is still a construction site, sometimes diners are told that no alcohol can be served. Fortunately, they tell them when they book.

I've also heard that the food is good, but not as orgasmic as some may assume.

The Gardiner's new permanent galleries will open to the public on September 15th.

The same day, from 1:00 to 9:00 p.m., they show a series of international films about ceramics and ceramists.

On September 30th / October 1st they're part of Nuit Blanche.

Admission is free every Friday from 4:00 to 9:00 p.m. ( like the ROM across the street ), and all day on the first Friday of every month.

February 24

Featuring the Tiger Eats Man exhibit. More popular than the Dog eats Shoes exhibit at the Bata Shoe Museum.
2289266139_5ec4f50deb_b.jpg

hey CSW2424, thx for this and for all the other updates! some terrific pics! :)

There's a lecture at the Gardiner tomorrow night at 6:30pm entitled "Manufacturing Neighbourhoods" moderated by Christopher Hume. I'm looking forward to it and for my first visit to what is one of my favourite buildings in the city (at least from the outside).

From the Facebook event profile:
A panel discussion on the ways to create and maintain vibrant, healthy, sustainable neighbourhoods in which to live, work ,and play.

Panelists are David Hulchanski (UofT, Urban Institute), Ken Greenberg (Planner/Architect), Bruce Hinds (Architect/OCAD prof), Shokofeh Dilmaghani (Community Development Worker), and Gillian Booth (Medical Professional, St. Michael's) Guest Apperance by Adam Vaughan (City Councillor).

Moderated by Christopher Hume, Urban Affairs Writer for the Toronto Star. Sponsored by the Ontario Healthy Communities Coalition and Health Canada.

Seating is limited so please come early! Thanks to the Gardiner for the use of their gorgeous Terrrace Room. It will be a full house!

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=8216928027

A friend was almost mauled by a big cat last week at a photo shoot. Ribs were cracked, though not his.

There's a lot happening in that part of town tonight - I'm off to a classical concert at the Japan Foundation in the Colonnade at 7 pm.

Interesting to compare CSW2424's recent photo with the one Alvin took in July 2006 - the limestone discolouration has become more pronounced, which I've also noticed during visits.

Limestone!? Wasn't the example of FCP enough to warn of what can happen to limestone facings in a polluted urban environment?

(Some types of limestone last longer than others, but all limestone will eventually degrade under downtown Toronto air quality.)

The Gardiner used Indiana limestone.

The ROM's 1933 wing, across the street, used Queenston limestone below the first floor windows and Credit Valley limestone for the upper rusticated levels. Our local limestone is, apparently, more durable. The Ontario government insisted that materials obtained in Ontario must be used in the building - it was a labour-intensive makework project during the Depression. They even dug the foundations using manual labour in a way that was less efficient than the method used in the earlier, 1914, wing.

Limestone!? Wasn't the example of FCP enough to warn of what can happen to limestone facings in a polluted urban environment?

(Some types of limestone last longer than others, but all limestone will eventually degrade under downtown Toronto air quality.)

FCP is faced with Carrara Marble.

Marble is just limestone squeezed by Superman (he usually would squeeze a lump of coal into a diamond).

Builders please remember your Introductory Geology: Sedimentary, Metamorphic, Igneous.

Choose Igneous (eg. granite) for your cladding. As FCP will now do... or so it's rumoured.

Back