rdaner

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is a development in downtown Cambridge (Galt) that I hope will interest forum members. Most intriguing is the inclusion of Conestoga College that will boost the student population of the downtown area. The 400 units of housing should increase activity as well. Overall a great boost for the urban fabric of the western GTA!

http://www.cambridgetimes.ca/news-s...aslight-district-project-on-southworks-lands/

I'm back with more Waterloo Region threads, this time presenting the ugliest development in the region (figured I might as well get it out of the way)

Gaslight Condos (horrible name) are situated just on the edge of downtown Galt on the site of the former southworks mall.

southworks.jpeg

(credit yelp)

main-outlets-antiques-img2.jpeg

(credit southworks website)

main-outlets-antiques-img3.jpeg

(credit southworks website)

This area has already seen some significant redevelopment in recent years. Right next door to this is the somewhat new Hamilton Family Theatre

Dunfield_Theatre___Super_Portrait.jpeg

(credit cambridge times)

hamilton theatre.jpeg

(credit yelp)

On the other side is another somewhat new development, the seasons retirement community.

Cambridge-CurtClayton0216-Exterior-opt-430x415.jpeg

(credit seasons retirement)

20210806_142151.jpg

There was also a walking bridge across the grand river that was built specifically to facilitate this development, and it is a really really nice bridge.

pedestrian-bridge-cambridge.jpg

(credit cbc)

PedBridge.png

(credit city of cambridge)

20200930_193509.jpg
20200930_193846.jpg

Now as for the building itself, it was supposed to kickstart the revitalization of downtown Cambridge. And while there definitely has been some other new growth and projects near to the site that I'm not featuring in this post, the building itself is a disaster. I think the pictures I have (though a couple weeks old) say more than words ever could about this development. It's as cheap as you can possibly get and HIP does not have a good track record.

20210806_140527.jpg
20210806_141733.jpg
20210806_141712.jpg
20210806_141819.jpg

(to be continued)

Gaslight condos (continued)

20210806_141909.jpg
20210806_141715.jpg
20210806_142004.jpg
20210806_142054.jpg
20210806_142057.jpg
20210806_142312.jpg

Surprisingly I actually think they did a somewhat decent job in the restoration end of things. I think the upgrades to the original mall look good, but they are completely overshadowed by just how awful the building truly is.

20210806_142440.jpg
20210806_142557.jpg
20210806_142553.jpg
20210806_142548.jpg
20210806_143121.jpg

Here are some of the original renders just to nail home how much of a letdown this development truly is.

gaslightrecord.jpg

(credit the record)

Gaslight_Super_Portrait.jpeg

(credit toronto.com)

HIP_GL_Rendering.jpeg

(credit orchard design)

PHOTO-2-GD-C2-RiverView-170905_FINAL-HR.jpeg

(credit aba)

I've seen worse...but it's certainly not Distillery District caliber if that's what they where going for. I agree the restoration part looks pretty good though.

Gaslight condos (continued)

View attachment 349821View attachment 349822View attachment 349823View attachment 349824View attachment 349825View attachment 349826

Surprisingly I actually think they did a somewhat decent job in the restoration end of things. I think the upgrades to the original mall look good, but they are completely overshadowed by just how awful the building truly is.

View attachment 349829View attachment 349831View attachment 349832View attachment 349833View attachment 349834

Here are some of the original renders just to nail home how much of a letdown this development truly is.

View attachment 349840
(credit the record)

View attachment 349841
(credit toronto.com)

View attachment 349842
(credit orchard design)

View attachment 349843
(credit aba)

With that name, it’s probably trying to convince you that the ugliness and awfulness is all just in your head.

I haven't been down to Galt in a while so in honor of this thread I did a little evening walk to take some photos and see the area now that it's evolved.

It's nice finally seeing something next to the theatre here as the plaza out front felt out of place next to a large parking lot. The overall urban form here is filling in, Grand Ave S is starting to get an urban street wall, albeit with a few holes and not many doors.

PXL_20210920_231016723.jpg

But here's where I will drop my negatives before some of the more light hearted stuff. The podium design is so totally brutal and overbearing for no reason, and I'm really only angry at the podium in particular here. I like the towers, but oh boy the podium makes me upset. It's so terribly suburban feeling. While finishes are still coming, the overall podium massing is so laughably bad. I'm not sure if this is specifically the architects fault, but man does it scream incompetency.

There is zero reason for the podium to be so fat, the bottom floor units stick out even more like they aren't meant to be there. These look like a temple idolizing our car dependency where we are too cheap to bury the parking where it counts (especially next to heritage buildings). This is supposed to be a destination but these overbear said destination so hard that it risks ruining it completely.

And that's what worries me. The developer (HIP Developments) had something great to start with, it wouldn't be too hard to make it a mini distillery district style destination. Yet they chose to make parking the aesthetic focus on the towers, so much so that I'm worried this will just end up much more sterile and dead than it was before, even with all the new residents around and landscape improvements. The design of the podium itself is so incredibly incongruent as well. It's not modern, but it's very not traditional either, so what the heck is it trying to be? It's not a contrast, and it's not a mimic on style, it's just a hodgepodge of ideas.

The podium should be wrapped with units to the top with retail at the base, not just crappy townhouses that deaden the street. Where's the friggin retail for your so-called destination? Some of the townhouses are supposed to be for artists, which sound nice in theory, but just should be retail plainly and simply.

*end rant*

If the retail here ends up non functional, I hope the foot traffic makes its way over to downtown galt anyways, because the core streets have lots of potential.

Just a note, the architect on the towers and podium itself is ABA as stated here. The blame should go more to them in this case.
This project involves the contribution of two architectural firms. ABA Architects is responsible for the design of the residential towers and associated parking podiums.

PXL_20210920_231234845.jpg

This project in Hespeler (also in Cambridge) is pretty similar in heritage and with the same architect, but didn't feature the same ugly parking podium (or better put, it's concealed better)

1632201198550.png

As I said before, Grand Ave S actually has quite a pleasant urban form filling in, alongside the nice repurposed stone warehouse buildings. Along with this project, there's also a little infill on the right of this photo, and the new assisted living apartments hidden on the left side. The parking lot in the middle off frame will ideally be buried to finish this area up.

The long line around this development is actually for the polling booth!

PXL_20210920_231626139.jpg

Now as I said before, I actually like the towers, while they are simple it makes for good infill that doesn't try to take the spotlight off the public spaces (unlike the awful podium). It would've been nice if they tried a bit more, but with how bad the podium is I'd rather they keep it simple than fail on anything more complex.

From the riverside trail. It should be mentioned Galt has a lot of hidden history and nice architecture that's underappreciated.

PXL_20210920_231747722.jpg

I thought this perspective was also quite neat, as none of the buildings in this photo existed a couple years ago (the smallest one did, but quite abandoned before)

PXL_20210920_234418163.jpg

Now from the actual river, it's quite nice to see an urban form take hold somewhere in Cambridge. Funny that the smallest core, Hespeler, has seen more investment until now.

PXL_20210920_233226253.jpg

And to finish it off, a shot on the now pedestrian only street in downtown galt. Like I said before, galt has lots of potential, with intimate storefronts and a solid three story street wall. The stone architecture, like in guelph is unique and has lots of depth (and big windows, boy I'd love an apartment with those huge windows). It's really just missing the people to use it.

While this photo was taken on a Monday night, I would hope it not to seem totally empty. There is a real need for staple restaurants here, more draw than there is right now. I'm hoping with the developments on the books right now, slowly Galt will see what Kitchener and Waterloo are seeing, as the investments are already being made with some building upgrades underway (you can see in the photo). But what needs to happen is a focus on pulling the developments towards the core, because the Gaslight district, and other projects won't create significant retail buzz here if it's too far away.

PXL_20210920_232815277.jpg

EDIT: another note to my point just above, there is an early proposal at 69 Ainslie Street South next to the bus terminal that is also on the books.

Last edited:
I'd just like to point out the building in the foreground on the right here with the stone and brick is brand new (like built within the past year) it is a perfect example of how a new building can easily fit in nicely with the surroundings while adding density

uh that building is extremely ugly

40040558_1.jpg

Most of the public realm is now finished up now, with "opening" in a few months, so here's a little bit of a review of the space as it stands. It has some glaring issues I'm thinking will hold it back from the potential it could've had.

To start, there is a huuge screen hiding the behemoth of a podium...

This is real life satirical architecture, genuinely goofy. This picture doesn't do the size justice, it could literally fit in at Dundas Square it's that big. (The website claims it's bigger than the one at Maple Leaf Square..!)

Actually noticing it now, there is a lack of night lighting in the 'plaza'... I guess the screen will act as that..? Either way, that's one way of pretending the podium wasn't an afterthought!

PXL_20230121_201924568.jpg

Facing the other way is more pleasant (when the podiums are hidden, this project feels at its best), I do wish the space had more trees around the outer edges though, maybe a couple gardens, a water feature? The marketing website does say there are a few large interactive art displays to come.

I imagine with market stalls and the like this space could be vibrant, but from what I recall, there likely wont be enough retail units here for regular vibrancy, especially in winter.

PXL_20230121_201751761.jpg

Standing here in particular, it's really nice being surrounded by stone buildings. If the rest felt like this spot (with the added density, more foliage) it could've been a mini distillery district.

PXL_20230121_201859285.jpg

PXL_20230121_202006244.jpg

These utility doors are above average, it's the little things.

PXL_20230121_201813383.jpg

Here's where things get rough, because the potential for this space was there...

The massing caused by the above ground parking is rather problematic. In a way it makes it a cozy, sheltered space, but the materiality is bad.

It's just not a space I can see becoming a 'destination', which is what the vision was aiming for. The parking podiums just look silly, in what should've been trying to mimic the style and feel of the context.

PXL_20230121_202026986.jpg

There are functional gas lamps around, neat touch, in an otherwise weird space.

PXL_20230121_202023079.jpg

Those live work studios are uh, something...

PXL_20230121_202155411.jpg

TLDR: I conclude with: good urbanism isn't hard, this isn't it. This project feels like it's reinventing the wheel. That could be on regulations too, but the parking here was poorly handled and detracts from every other aspect.

If I'm around again I'll check it out in an open state when it warms up.

Attachments

• PXL_20230121_201553109.jpg
    PXL_20230121_201553109.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Most of the public realm is now finished up now, with "opening" in a few months, so here's a little bit of a review of the space as it stands. It has some glaring issues I'm thinking will hold it back from the potential it could've had.

To start, there is a screen hiding the behemoth of a podium...

This is real life satirical architecture, genuinely goofy. This picture doesn't do the size justice, it could literally fit in at Dundas Square it's that big. (The website claims it's bigger than the one at Maple Leaf Square..!)

Actually noticing it now, there is a lack of night lighting in the 'plaza'... I guess the screen will act as that..?

View attachment 451726

Facing the other way is more pleasant (when the podiums are hidden, this project feels at its best), I do wish the space had more trees around the outer edges though, maybe a couple gardens, a water feature? The marketing website does say there are a few large interactive art displays to come.

I imagine with market stalls and the like this space could be vibrant, but from what I recall, there likely wont be enough retail units here for regular vibrance, especially in winter.

View attachment 451729

Standing here in particular, it's really nice being surrounded by stone buildings. If the rest felt like this spot (with the added density, more foliage) it could've been a mini distillery district.

View attachment 451730

View attachment 451732

View attachment 451733

Here's where things get rough, because the potential for this space was there...

The massing isn't the problem, it's quite a cozy, sheltered space in that regard and the way it's being used, retail, lobbies, is pretty standard.

The real issue is the effort to accommodate cars here is the downfall, it's just not a space I can see becoming a 'destination', which is what the vision was aiming for. The parking podiums just look silly, in what should've been trying to mimic the style and feel of the context.

View attachment 451735

View attachment 451737

View attachment 451757

TLDR: I conclude with: good urbanism isn't hard, this isn't it. This project feels like it's reinventing the wheel. That could be on regulations too, but the parking here was poorly handled and detracts from every other aspect.

Great tour of what's there! It does make one wish that some other choices had been made. The old walls are beautiful and the red painting in that one corner are great. I hope that over time they figure out how to overcome the weaknesses here.

To start, there is a huuge screen hiding the behemoth of a podium...

Actually noticing it now, there is a lack of night lighting in the 'plaza'... I guess the screen will act as that..?

View attachment 451726

I imagine with market stalls and the like this space could be vibrant, but from what I recall, there likely wont be enough retail units here for regular vibrance, especially in winter.

View attachment 451729

View attachment 451730

View attachment 451732

View attachment 451733

The massing isn't the problem, it's quite a cozy, sheltered space in that regard and the way it's being used, retail, lobbies, is pretty standard.

The real issue is the effort to accommodate cars here is the downfall, it's just not a space I can see becoming a 'destination', which is what the vision was aiming for. The parking podiums just look silly, in what should've been trying to mimic the style and feel of the context.

View attachment 451735

View attachment 451737

View attachment 451757

Excellent, thorough report and analysis! Thanks!

Back