32K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 3.1K     0 

Duck Lightning

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Calgary
The Saddledome isn't ideal in lots of ways. The arena was designed primarily for hockey and the poor acoustics, small lower bowl, and low roof load limits make it an overall terrible music venue. The new arena will be an overall better venue for sports and especially concerts and because the Saddledome needs major repairs it's almost assured to be demolished.
I think the only way the Saddledome isn't completely demolished is if a plan is made to convert it into a smaller secondary venue with a new ordinary arena roof. I imagine it would be cheaper to demolish everything above the main concourse and install a new roof rather then to build a sizeable secondary arena for the Wranglers and Hitmen from scratch.

CalgaryTiger

Member Bio
Reaction score
The Saddledome isn't ideal in lots of ways. The arena was designed primarily for hockey and the poor acoustics, small lower bowl, and low roof load limits make it an overall terrible music venue. The new arena will be an overall better venue for sports and especially concerts and because the Saddledome needs major repairs it's almost assured to be demolished.
I think the only way the Saddledome isn't completely demolished is if a plan is made to convert it into a smaller secondary venue with a new ordinary arena roof. I imagine it would be cheaper to demolish everything above the main concourse and install a new roof rather then to build a sizeable secondary arena for the Wranglers and Hitmen from scratch.
I don't see this city needing a secondary venue. If it gets one, it will be at Foothills Athletic Park as part of its Fieldhouse complex. On that note: I heard back from a councilour's office on the Foothills Athletic Park Redevelopment Assessment Committee... The Social Return on Investment Analysis is complete and will become public at the committee's next meeting that isn't scheduled yet but will occur before December.

Just a reminder, "the Social Return on Investment Analysis will identify the social value that would be created based on capital dollars needed to implement the Foothills+McMahon concept plan". AKA is it worth it.

Joborule

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Calgary
I don't see this city needing a secondary venue. If it gets one, it will be at Foothills Athletic Park as part of its Fieldhouse complex. On that note: I heard back from a councilour's office on the Foothills Athletic Park Redevelopment Assessment Committee... The Social Return on Investment Analysis is complete and will become public at the committee's next meeting that isn't scheduled yet but will occur before December.

Just a reminder, "the Social Return on Investment Analysis will identify the social value that would be created based on capital dollars needed to implement the Foothills+McMahon concept plan". AKA is it worth it.
Spoiler alert: It will be.

Rollerstud98

Member Bio
Reaction score

New library/multi use facility for downtown Airdrie

adamyyc

Member Bio
Reaction score
Would like to see what the side facing the street looks like, but overall, it seems like Airdrie is taking the lead by putting the building close to the main street, and placing parking at the side of the building rather than the front. Obviously in a car-centric town like Airdrie, having no on-site parking would be difficult, but at least the number of parking spots seems reasonable. There is a sea of parking lots all around after all. Hopefully an additional entrance/exit is not required give Council’s comments.

darwink

Member Bio
Reaction score
Would like to see what the side facing the street looks like, but overall, it seems like Airdrie is taking the lead by putting the building close to the main street, and placing parking at the side of the building rather than the front. Obviously in a car-centric town like Airdrie, having no on-site parking would be difficult, but at least the number of parking spots seems reasonable. There is a sea of parking lots all around after all. Hopefully an additional entrance/exit is not required give Council’s comments.
1663863550050.png

1663863702295.png

source, which includes all aspect elevation drawings: https://pub-airdrie.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=15155

Attachments

• 1663863338767.png
    1663863338767.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • 1663863476211.png
    1663863476211.png
    314 KB · Views: 25

The Familia

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Calgary
I’ll wait until the final finished product, but as I assumed from the renderings, this plaza is going to look like shit. Two years and they are not even close to finishing. This thing looks value engineered already. They couldn’t be bothered to use any type of coloured, exposed, or stamped concrete let alone any fancy pavers to match the river walk promenade which I quite like. Basic broom finished sidewalk concrete, how special for what is probably the cities premier or second premier downtown plaza. You know something is wrong when University District can absolutely nail their new Central Park/plaza and this thing looks like it was dug up from the bargain bin.