News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Many years ago, I flew Nationair from Hamilton to Gatwick. I think there was free bus service from the Royal York to Hamilton airport with proof of an airline ticket. It was a breeze.

If you are a family of 4, and you can save over $400 on a flight to Florida, Buffalo is more than just a wave or fad. I know friends who have been doing this for years and they cannot see themselves changing (and they have a nice new terminal there too).

Funny thing, I had to make the decision for this weekend whether to fly into stansted or heathrow. The prices for business class is similar, though their are better options (companies like eos) flying into stanstead), but, its too much of a hike for the business traveller, especially when cost is of little issue.

If you are a family of 4, and you can save over $400 on a flight to Florida, Buffalo is more than just a wave or fad. I know friends who have been doing this for years and they cannot see themselves changing (and they have a nice new terminal there too).
Yeah, I agree. We're going on LA in December and I found that the price from Toronto is $200 more per person than a flight out of Buffalo. For a family of 4, it's even worth it staying in a hotel the night before for a 6am flight. Most of the hotels in the BUF area offer Park and Fly packages where you can stay in a hotel before your flight, get breakfast in the morning, parking for 2 weeks and a shuttle to/from the hotel for under $100. The lack of competition in Canada combined with the higher taxes makes it well worth it to fly out of Buffalo.

I checked out Heathrow's new Terminal 5 yesterday.

Like Pearson, it has plenty of natural light, a neutral grey/white colour palette, minimal signage and clutter, and large structural supports that double as decorative elements.

Pearson's top floor "big wow" is a long, snake-like check-in building with windows at both ends ... that you exit in order to reach the departure lounges and retail.

The top floor "big wow" at Heathrow is a larger rectangular departure level with windows at both ends ... that's split lengthwise by the check-ins and has to accommodate more functions, including retail. The arched span of the ceiling is wider that Pearson's undulating ceiling. But half of Heathrow's departure level is beyond the check-in area, so you can't explore the whole room - I felt a certain frustration with this design approach and the "big wow" was diminished.

Public art, which is an integral part of our new terminal, wasn't much in evidence at Heathrow. But the vertical connections between floors were handled better. Nice concrete ceilings ( like our Museum station ) in the subway station below.

no the Buffalo alternative is soon going to be dead as it costs $20-$40 alone on Gas to get there.

that's doubtful--i flew in from san diego last week into buffalo and i'm flying out to germany in a few days. if i had gone straight to pearson, i would have paid more than $2000 vs the $1400 i paid going through buffalo.

likewise, i'll be back in september and the cost of SAN-BUF is only $260 while SAN-YYZ is $600. there's no way you could convince me to fly into toronto directly ever again unless someone else is paying for the ticket...

Vacation time permitting, it's cheaper for the family to drive all the way to Florida.

Back