News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I agree that would be preferable, and likely the case had the historic station footprint been preserved, however the land surrounding the intersection of rail line and woodbrige avenue is essentially all single family homes. The ability to construct a station, nevermind a decent level of TOD would be very limited here

View attachment 499133

The historical station is actually located closer to the proposed station, south of the Woodbridge foam plant. The tracks were shifted east to their current location at some point.

The other historical railway station was along the Humber river which was part of the Toronto suburban railway.

Regardless of the existence of sfh in the area. Station construction will be difficult given the terrain and grade differences between the road and railway

Let me bring that forward for those lacking previews and/or the Click-averse:

1692644983051.png

Having a spur off the MacTier into Caledon (as part of a passenger project) might provide options for shifting aggregate extraction from road to rail. It wouldn‘t address all the issues with that activity, but given the rate of construction in the GTA presumably aggregates have to come from somewhere

Having a spur off the MacTier into Caledon (as part of a passenger project) might provide options for shifting aggregate extraction from road to rail. It wouldn‘t address all the issues with that activity, but given the rate of construction in the GTA presumably aggregates have to come from somewhere
Only marginally and at significant cost. There needs to be handling and storage facilities at both end (where in Toronto - particularly downtown - would you put that?). You still need to truck it to and from the source to railhead and from railhead to destination.

Only marginally and at significant cost. There needs to be handling and storage facilities at both end (where in Toronto - particularly downtown - would you put that?). You still need to truck it to and from the source to railhead and from railhead to destination.
Yeah… when I wrote that I was thinking somewhere in the vicinity of St Mary’s Cement in Leaside, just NE of CP Leaside Yard, but there is less open/available land in that area at present than I guessed.

Yeah… when I wrote that I was thinking somewhere in the vicinity of St Mary’s Cement in Leaside, just NE of CP Leaside Yard, but there is less open/available land in that area at present than I guessed.
The way Toronto and the GTA is growing, there really is no one good spot and it would concentrate the 'last mile' trucks into one area. It also assumes a single supplier and source. Pits are owned by a number of companies, and Caledon is only one of the source areas.

Back