News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I completely agree with this article. A GO service to Bolton makes infinitely more sense than this non-service they are offering Londoners. No one in London would ever be stupid enough to take this train to Toronto and God knows it's useless for commuters. At least the Bolton service would actually provide a needed service and is money far better spent.

This new GO service to London is already the butt of jokes in the city so you might as well provide the service where the citizens will actually appreciate and use it.
Hm, I've written opposition to Bolton GO in the past - your points do make sense though. CP would be the limiting factor in this case - would need more tracks, and there's not much room there.

I completely agree with this article. A GO service to Bolton makes infinitely more sense than this non-service they are offering Londoners. No one in London would ever be stupid enough to take this train to Toronto and God knows it's useless for commuters. At least the Bolton service would actually provide a needed service and is money far better spent.

This new GO service to London is already the butt of jokes in the city so you might as well provide the service where the citizens will actually appreciate and use it.
Not to mention the area where the line would be has grown massively since the decade old feasibility study was done. Idk why they don't give it a reassessment. Caledon clearly wants it and would use it. Vaughan and North York as well I'm certain would love more service. Building up the core of the network first should be priority #1, and especially before leaving the GGHA. We have so many places like Bolton, Uxbridge, etc that do not have service. as well many places in Metrolinx' mandate area have bare minimum service if they even have them at all.

The North Western part of Toronto (Etobicoke/North York) is horrendously underserved by transit.
FWLRT will fill the gap for Etobicoke, and YR frequent bus service is probably more cost efficient at this point - if it's successful we can implement GO Train service (I'm doubtful of the need for a GO train to serve under 200,000)

FWLRT will fill the gap for Etobicoke, and YR frequent bus service is probably more cost efficient at this point - if it's successful we can implement GO Train service (I'm doubtful of the need for a GO train to serve under 200,000)
GO Rail to Bolton could potentially serve (other than Bolton) a much large amount of people than 200,000

Kleinburg, which has grown substantially. Go take a drive up HIghway 27.
Woodbridge
Islington/Steeles
Finch/Weston Rd
Wilson/Weston Rd

Not sure how well used it would be, but I believe an updated study is warranted. Development, especially in the northern parts of this line has proceeded tremendously in the 10 years since this study was done originally. The 427 extension will only accelerate that.

The North Western part of Toronto (Etobicoke/North York) is horrendously underserved by transit.
Yup, people need to stop focusing on whether ridership will be high at the termini of Lines and instead look at the coverage. This is a part of the city that is underserved with rapid transit, with quite a few connecting surface transit routes, pockets of density, and if well-planned with commuter rail, high development potential.

Problem with assuming that YRT will fill the gap is that it’s YRT. As well, I’d argue a regional rail line serves a different purpose to a street running tram.

Problem with assuming that YRT will fill the gap is that it’s YRT. As well, I’d argue a regional rail line serves a different purpose to a street running tram.
Emphasis on this part; the area can certainly support much improved surface service, and a VIVA on on 50, Islington or both makes a lot of sense, but there is still a glaring gap in genuinely regionally oriented service that the rail corridor is perfectly placed for.

Finch and Eglinton LRT's won't address north-south travel in Etobicoke. There needs to be a spine (Kipling).

I wonder if there's a way of extending Finch West south on Kipling, somewhere south of the new Woodbine GO station.

I believe the long term plan was to have the FWLRT go to the Humber college campus and eventually to the Pearson Transit Hub. However at that point it's too far West of the core N/S corridor of Etobicoke. I'd say either Kipling or Islington would better serve as the N/S transit spine of the region.

I believe the long term plan was to have the FWLRT go to the Humber college campus and eventually to the Pearson Transit Hub. However at that point it's too far West of the core N/S corridor of Etobicoke. I'd say either Kipling or Islington would better serve as the N/S transit spine of the region.
I'm not sure how much demand there would be all the way to Pearson, compared to further east. They could do a split service. Half the trains from Finch West to Airport, and the other half to Humber and onto Kipling.

Could run a Kipling to Pearson service too I suppose ... or just a spur straight up Kipling.

The Bolton line may show up in the final version of the 2051 GGH plan.

1636141512806.png

Attachments

• 1636141512919.png
    1636141512919.png
    73 KB · Views: 78

Back