News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

India seems to have figured this out...

India is phasing out diesel trains. They didn't have a choice but to figure it out.

China has a few extremely busy (thousands of trains per day) double-stack electrified corridors too, primarily carrying coal to power plants.

Here's the Weston-ite perspective. If they were to contemplate a frequent service along a second tack on the CP corridor, I think it would have to be grade separated. That would mean slotting it into the 4 tracks of the existing tunnel (with the necessary grade change, and with the scheduling complications of cutting into the 2xUP, 2xKitchener tracks within the tunnel).

Going into the Weston tunnel from the north, this would likely necessitate a grade separated crossing at Oak St.

Coming out of the tunnel into Weston station, it could theoretically move to the outside of the new Weston 3rd platform, as there is space over there, then follow the CP overpasses over Dennison (new one pre-built to accommodate 4 tracks), etc. Maybe it could terminate at Weston, but likely Eglinton for the connections, if it wasn't interspaced into the Kitchener traffic right to Union.

I do not think that a station at Pelmo would happen, unless Smart Centres offered to build one in its redevelopment of Crossroads Centre.

As for power, you could potentially do hybrid locos on this run, switching to catenary if it files into the existing Kitchener corridor at Weston.

Wonder why they wouldn't want it in the corridor

Because doing so would complicate their maintenance and disaster recovery operations.

And since they own the track, their word goes.

Probably due to the double stacked container units being taller than the catenary wires

This is not true at all.

India seems to have figured this out...

You don't have to go that far. Freight trains carrying double-stacked containers and autoracks run under the wire in the Philadelphia area every day.

Dan

Btw just wanted to comment that full electrification and using RER style EMU trains at least to Humber Summit would be possible if the full Missing Link was built.

You'd then need a separate express service with diesel (or bi mode) operating past that. But that would make sense to do anyways with these service patterns.

1673461121287.png

India also has people sit on top of the trains and run on and off of moving trains...

What's considered safe and acceptable in India isn't necessarily here
Oh! Like people don't do crazy stuff here? - I'm not sure if you have ever lived or driven in Canada, LOL...Get Well Soon, My Friend

Something being done Vs something being safe and acceptable are two different things. It's easy to comment from a position of privilege.

Oh! Like people don't do crazy stuff here? - I'm not sure if you have ever lived or driven in Canada, LOL...Get Well Soon, My Friend

Something being done Vs something being safe and acceptable are two different things. It's easy to comment from a position of privilege.
Well, that's a tad dramatic. People doing "crazy stuff" is one thing. People doing state-sanctioned, or at least state-acquiesced crazy stuff are also two different things. How some kind of privilege enters into it is beyond me.

This discussion started out comparing overhead catenary with double stacked freight. Can it be done? Probably (it's apparently done in the US). Would safety margins likely be high - possibly higher that in other countries? Probably. Will we likely see it? That's entirely up to the host property owners.

Well, that's a tad dramatic. People doing "crazy stuff" is one thing. People doing state-sanctioned, or at least state-acquiesced crazy stuff are also two different things. How some kind of privilege enters into it is beyond me.

This discussion started out comparing overhead catenary with double stacked freight. Can it be done? Probably (it's apparently done in the US). Would safety margins likely be high - possibly higher that in other countries? Probably. Will we likely see it? That's entirely up to the host property owners.
I agree. It's illegal to travel on top of the trains in India too, so is moving in between running trains.

For the sanity of this forum, we should limit the discussion to technical feasibility without belittling a country (assuming Canada is on Top, that's where privilege comes in).

Living in Canada is a privilege, but assuming being privileged is narcissistic.

I like how Vaughan will have a go line and a subway line but Mississauga should be happy that maybe one day they get 15 minute frequencies on the cooksville line. That makes sense for the 6th biggest city in Canada.
There is Lakeshore West line that passes through Mississauga and Kitchener line also has a station in Mississauga. And there is Hurontario LRT as well.

In terms of highways, Mississauga probably is the most connected satellite city of Toronto with 401, 403, 407, 410, 427, QEW passing through it. Vaughan only have 400, 407 and 427 passing through it.

Milton Line will have 15 min frequency not because Metrolinx doesn't care about Mississauga but because it's a CP mainline and it would be the toughest GO line to expand. Including it in the GO Expansion would probably slow down the entire project.

I am saying this as someone who lives in Mississauga and uses Milton line.

Last edited:
Milton Line will have 15 min frequency not because Metrolinx doesn't care about Mississauga but because it's a CP mainline and it would be the toughest GO line to expand. Including it in the GO Expansion would probably slow down the entire project.
Working on coming to an agreement with CP need not have any impact on the rest of GO expansion program.

Working on coming to an agreement with CP need not have any impact on the rest of GO expansion program.
Will an agreement with CP cost money? If yes, then it will have an impact on GO expansion. Funds are always limited and adding one new project will reduce the available dollars for other projects.

Back