News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Where do these riders come from? Waterdown? Ancaster/Dundas? Burlington?
Hamilton too! It's a huge percentage (double-digit) of all those cars. It is only a 8-minute drive from the Hamilton 403 onramp to the Aldershot GO parking spot! Also a lot of McMaster University students.

For more information about the large Hamilton demand for improved GO service, read my GO megaseries:
www.raisethehammer.org/article/2672
www.raisethehammer.org/article/2720
These are targeted to local residents, but are educational for those not in the know.

Oct 22
Plan on getting shots of Bronte Station on the way home, but ended up on track 3 instead than the normal 2. Pouring tar on the accessibility roof with the east still to be done.

No one working on Burlington Site today, other than Lion Demo. The old station is completely gone now, other than the tunnel stair.

Only can shake my head at what should be completed as I took a walk around the inside of the new station.

The 2 elevators are not install at all and the new ticket area is almost complete other than the software and machines. Washroom block off.

No info on the platforms to inform riders to use the west stairs since the east is closed off.

More photos up on site
22408848341_a762f3d472_b.jpg

22372049596_fe4b293c24_b.jpg

22398021395_edb69e0062_b.jpg

22210311638_9ff5ea63c6_b.jpg

21776921623_72b8fa9158_b.jpg

22211192579_d1e23cf3a2_b.jpg

22371977956_eb8c2f1492_b.jpg

22209977680_bd90055ff9_b.jpg

I used the mid-day Mount Pleasant GO for the first time yesterday, and noticed that Platform 4 at Bramalea was torn up and being redone.....why, I don't understand, it was in decent shape.

Work seems to have slowed down considerably at Bloor. There was activity aroun the new underpass, but the platforms themselves aren't progressing very quickly.

The Georgetown corridor as a whole has a really unfinished feel to it - waste and leftover construction material sitting all along the line, and the sound walls and fences have plenty of gaps.

On the plus side, midday GO ridership looked quite substantial, so the money spent on all this is well spent.

- Paul

I used the mid-day Mount Pleasant GO for the first time yesterday, and noticed that Platform 4 at Bramalea was torn up and being redone.....why, I don't understand, it was in decent shape.

- Paul

Adding a snow-melt system to the platform.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Only can shake my head at what should be completed as I took a walk around the inside of the new station.
Impressive photos!

My takeaways
-- This station is so slow being built.
-- This station is nicer than I expected.
-- This station is so de-prioritized in construction for some strange reason.
Must be fixed budget and resources spread thin, e.g. PanAm priorities.

Hopefully the upcoming infrastructure spending surge will put things right back on track.

Is there a reason that GO Stations are starting to look like airport terminals? Based on this forecast ridership is only expected to be 3,500 by 2031? Seems like a lot of space that will sit empty even if the area is built-up.

If you look at the Bloomington Station plan as well it too seems grossly overbuilt for where it is and what it is. Maybe one of you can shed some light on why they seem to be building such gigantic stations now?

Is there a reason that GO Stations are starting to look like airport terminals? Based on this forecast ridership is only expected to be 3,500 by 2031?
3,500 daily riders is a full freeway lane for 2 hours, or two full peak-period freeway lanes at an average 2 seconds between cars. We build freeways to try to solve only that ONE hour: Overkill, overkill, overkill -- very empty at 4:00 AM -- just to be clogged full at 5:00 PM. The cost of building one or two extra freeway lanes, in many cases, is more expensive than the cost of of building the GO station. This is a two-track corridor capable of moving more people during peak hour than a 6-lane-freeway during peak hour, even if there's no offpeak service today. On this basis, it seems still money well spent, although I admit sometimes the station size seem slightly overkill. But it's a long-term building; 50+ year lifetime, 100+ year for really good quality buildings.

But it's also worth considering that 2031 is only something like 10 years away after guesstimated construction completion (thinking of delays, Burlington-style). Ridership could double beyond 2031, with appropriate expansions, for example. And Richmond Hill might be part of RER Phase II, who knows? That's still within the station's own lifetime. If it's good, then there will be no need to teardown and rebuild in 20 years. Some GO stations are old but nice -- such as the 1930s style Hamilton Downtown GO station. Build it well, it will last.

Spending priorities is a legitimate argument, for sure (which stations to build first, which lines to enhance first, resource assignment, etc). Maybe Bloomington was a bit early, overbuilt, too big, or at least only at first. Maybe not, I'm not familiar with that part of the GTHA region. But the above perspective helps.

And another consideration is what will Bloomington area looks like in 50 years -- developments, densification, etc. In an era of Richmond Hill 2-way service by the mid 21st century, we might even see a new small CBD pop up. Mississauga was practically farmland not that long ago...

It's the usual "Taxpayer waste today, big taxpayer revenues tomorrow" argument. All the new revenues from all the new commuters who now live in new profitable businesses/developments/etc as the areas of Bloomington grows. Goverments (any color) are so short sighted, to the point that Bloomington is a far-sighted development. Its mere existence helps justify and accelerate further GO expansions.

In fact, the cost of that GO station won't even build 100 meters of subway. 3,500 people served by the cost of Bloomington GO versus the cost of 2 more peak-period freeway lanes?

Continually as a car owner, I'm amazed and shocked how much money we spend on roads, even as a car driver, it's really, really eye opening. That 16-lane wide, over a one hour, 401 only carrying 1,700 cars per lane during peak period? And we spent all of that to build that, expand a lane, etc, just to save five to ten minutes per day of commute that quickly disappears in a couple years as developments expand??

Bloomington GO looks brilliant spending literally in comparison, even if it's bit too early/longerm for shortsighted governments and the politics of completing electrification (thankfully, electrification is now finally but assured, since shovels will occur before next election, and since all 3 levels of government is aligned despite minor nitpicking like academic smarttrack-versus-RER terminology). You know, large EMU/DMUs (large EMUs more likely) can double the number of people pushed per track corridor, so while stupendously expensive, it's like doubling the width of a freeway without doubling the physical width.

That's why electrification is so tempting, properly done, it massively increases capacity, especially if bottlenecks are worked on (e.g. USRC resignalling + reopen all still-closed Union tracks + doubleberthing west of York + shorter subway-style dwell time at Union + triple size GO concourse + six times the waiting space due to shopping mall underneath the whole Union footprint). Platform crowding will remain constant thanks to optimizations like the above, allowing twice the number of people will board trains during peak hour at Union -- without doubling the crowds per platform. Obviously, the new additional PATH connections all need to be fully open, so we have twice-the-number-total-meters-of-width of PATH openings into Union, than there was (I mathed it out: it comes to approximately double); so that Union pedestrian throughput can successfully double during peak. I'm impressed how much more Union is able to handle, once I completely analyze the theoretical post-megaproject numbers. I just wish they wouldn't dillydally on the USRC switch upgrades; it can push twice as many trains in-out of Union berths if upgraded to European standards or even just simply New York Penn standards. Penn station is roughly the same same number of tracks and platforms as Toronto Union, and would be roughly identical number of berths if including potential double-berths west of York. (Opposite-direction routes such as Milton-RichmondHill can easily double berth with no delays). Yet New York Penn (which is electric-only) is able to handle twice the number of peak-period commuters.

This is a stupendous GO megaprojects lasting a long time, and eventually a 4-track underground corridor will be needed somewhere (mentioned in the Metrolinx 2031 document from a few years ago). The silly SmartTrack/DRL tunnel talk is nothing new, as is the interesting UPX/SmartTrack/transit merger ideas, I just wish funding was a little more efficiently allocated more quickly; but any initiatives that expand the entire GO network into an all-day 2-way frequent (15-min-or-better) regional public transit network with good TTC/local connections (including --yes-- future driverless cars) -- is all wholly welcome.

If RER electrification does not proceed, post-revitalization Union will be very empty during offpeak, and stores go bankrupt in the malls under Union. The Union expansion pretty much guarantees RER will happen, and our governments has now already aligned to make sure that happens.

If you look at the Bloomington Station plan as well it too seems grossly overbuilt for where it is and what it is. Maybe one of you can shed some light on why they seem to be building such gigantic stations now?
In the RER era, and all-day service on the entire GO service, we're pretty much doing a megaproject of upgrading GO into a bona-fide surface subway network (even if not as frequent as subways). Mega stations are a part of RER goals.

I must admit that the Richmond Hill line, which will won't be electrified this time, it's a bit of a big project as it will require raising the rails at least one meter higher to get above the Don River flooding level. But it could happen fairly early within the projected lifetime of the Bloomington GO station.

Last edited:
Bramalea Station is in line for a rebuild, but the amount of time it's taking to rebuild Burlington makes me shudder.

The work at Bramalea is needed - the small passenger station building, built in the 1980s, is much busier, largely thanks to the bus connections on the 407 corridor. The bus loop is also to be rebuilt, in a way that would make it easier for GO and BT/Zum buses to enter and exit from Steeles Avenue, which absolutely necessary if passengers are going to be dumped here if Metrolinx ends up terminating RER services at this spot. (I'd love to see the Bramalea Road interchange completed, at least so GO buses can get in and out even faster.)

Bramalea Station is in line for a rebuild, but the amount of time it's taking to rebuild Burlington makes me shudder.

The work at Bramalea is needed - the small passenger station building, built in the 1980s, is much busier, largely thanks to the bus connections on the 407 corridor. The bus loop is also to be rebuilt, in a way that would make it easier for GO and BT/Zum buses to enter and exit from Steeles Avenue, which absolutely necessary if passengers are going to be dumped here if Metrolinx ends up terminating RER services at this spot. (I'd love to see the Bramalea Road interchange completed, at least so GO buses can get in and out even faster.)

Have any plans been unveiled for the revamp of Bramalea? I've seen it on the long-term schedule (starting in 2017, IIRC), but have yet to see what they plan to do there.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Hamilton too! It's a huge percentage (double-digit) of all those cars. It is only a 8-minute drive from the Hamilton 403 onramp to the Aldershot GO parking spot! Also a lot of McMaster University students.

For more information about the large Hamilton demand for improved GO service, read my GO megaseries:
www.raisethehammer.org/article/2672
www.raisethehammer.org/article/2720
These are targeted to local residents, but are educational for those not in the know.

But I guess these are mountain residents that find West Harbour and Hamilton GO inconvenient, and live close to the LINC. So would a solution (to reduce parking and riding) involve a fully built A-line? T-Line?

But I guess these are mountain residents that find West Harbour and Hamilton GO inconvenient, and live close to the LINC. So would a solution (to reduce parking and riding) involve a fully built A-line? T-Line?
If they have a car, then by end of this decade, Mountain residents can drive to either West Harbour GO or Stoney Creek GO free parking lots. The West Harbour parking (300 cars) will gradually open 2016-2017. Both would be closer than Aldershot GO and Burlington GO respectively.

Yep, the A-Line LRT is probably the first mountain route, since there are development opportunities (large parking lot malls that can densify, brownfield, greenfield, the airport improvement lands, and the International Airport). The question is simply a matter of timing -- funding, developer interest, etc.

Our Hamilton LRT advocacy will lobby/advocate for appropriate expansions (A-Line) when the time is right (e.g. 2018 and 2022 elections), now that the B-Line LRT is all but assured now with all 3 levels of governments now consistent (with a few possible Mountain dissenters; but not nearly as divided as Brampton).

We observe that Hamilton/Metrolinx announced its first Hamilton LRT job opening as of today. We know that the Hamilton LRT office is growing to 100 employees by construction time (combined City/Metrolinx employees working together in a combined downtown Hamilton office; confirmed in the Sept 23 city meeting), so it will ramp up really fast and get the LRT vehicles/construction contracts signed before next election (of /any/ of the 3 governments).

With other cities getting LRTs, we have to make sure Hamilton is not left out for their main starter route. LINC/RHVP now provide a StoneyCreek-Dundas bypass, and a ring road for the area, so the Main/King "urban expressways" status quo now need to be given back to the Lower City. For example, perhaps 5-lane 1-way Main being turned into a 4-lane 2-way road (with either a center turning lane or bike lanes). Many car owners won't like that, but remember it's 2023, not 2003 -- a full generation worth's of car ownership decline as now 50% of the new generation is opting out of car ownership nowadays. Even most Mountain residents have accepted the James St N and Supercrawl (4-lane 1-way James St was uglier than many sections of today's Main/King, now it's a 2-lane 2-way street with widened sidewalks and narrower streetside parking with bumpouts).

It is probable that A-Line is really more than a good car lifetime's away (10-15 years), though in future favourable governments, we may "see an Ottawa happen" (Phase 2 LRT approved before Phase 1 LRT finishes construction). The core LRT network is important to start things off. If you don't have a car, then definitely Mountain might as well almost be Nunavut, given the poor state of HSR. The peak HSR bus service on the best corridors are good -- with the new sleek modern articulated HSR buses -- but not everyone lives on these corridors. Off-peak off-artery bus service in Hamilton is, relatively speaking, very abysmal.

I know that B-Line Express buses only run until 7:30pm weekdays, and they do not run weekends. Instead, you have to catch other buses, or the allstop buses that take forever to go crosstown. We need more bus funding too, and a new bus garage, and hopefully this is forthcoming over the years. All not mutually exclusive with the already-funded LRT, which will free up the beautiful B-Line articulated buses for use on other lines (their lifetime won't yet be half over in ~2023) including feeder/connector routes. But we still need more buses above and beyond that, for better local transit.

I have a spouse who constantly complains about after-work HSR bus service (trying to meet me downtown after work, for a 7pm or 8pm restaurant or coffee). Waiting 20, 30 minutes for bus, things like HSR buses passing by without stopping, things like walking to downtown before any bus arrived. With the LRT, predictable 24/7 service (or at least 5am-1am service) no less frequent than 10-15 minutes offpeak, 3-5 minutes during peak, the B-Line will easily meet its projections of triple ridership based on every.single.neighbour (we're 1 block off the route) I've talked to. It ain't a UPX, that is for sure.

Ironically, many mountain residents has complained that none of their neighbours want the LRT because it doesn't serve them, etc. The Hamilton LRT has gotta start *somewhere*, to grow off over the years. I hope A-Line doesn't become our DRL: Postponed for over 100 years. There was an A-Line proposal in the 1970s with the GO-ALRT proposal (like the Scarborough RT) which Hamilton turned down back then. The density (to justify LRT) is probably more iffy than the B-Line but by 15-20 years, the downtown should be sufficiently densified to justify the A-Line ridership.

Last edited:
Have any plans been unveiled for the revamp of Bramalea? I've seen it on the long-term schedule (starting in 2017, IIRC), but have yet to see what they plan to do there.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I've only seen mentions about a new station building in GO Transit documents and learned about plans for the new bus loop with discussions with Brampton Transit staff. Nothing more than that, I'm afraid.

Levels of autonomy for self-driving cars.
Source: NHTSA.gov

Level 0 -- your old manual gearshift
Level 1 -- simple cruise control
Level 2 -- combo, such as cruse control, adaptive braking and automated lanekeep
Level 3 -- you must monitor and takeover if car demands you to (alarm/shaker). Can legally text/work.
Level 4 -- permitted to drive empty; self-valetting, can drive your kid or drunk person. You can even sleep!

The latter level 4 is required for empty Ubers/Avis/Hertz/Zipcars/Taxis to go between rides, or self-park themselves somewhere (e.g. parking garage) when not in use. Basically, full complete automation with enough intelligence, on unfamiliar roads, in the worst weather, with some damaged sensors, fully safely. Trusting your car to drive your children for you, by itself!

The new Tesla Autopilot, the most advanced now available in consumer hands, is somewhere between Level 2 and Level 3 in capability.

Level 4 is required before a car can drive somebody who doesn't have a driver's license. Or solo car occupant legally sleeping in the car during a long, overnight drive. Or driving somebody who's drunk. Etc.

Automation would make buses much cheaper to operate.

1 lane of automated buses on a highway can easily carry several times as much a subway. This is prohibitively expensive with human drivers.

Automation would make buses much cheaper to operate.

1 lane of automated buses on a highway can easily carry several times as much a subway. This is prohibitively expensive with human drivers.

Especially if it's on an exclusive or semi-exclusive ROW with only a minimal potential for interference from cross streets.

Automated buses will be a major upgrade on current buses, as they can provide a more comfortable ride with less braking, aiming to keep people standing without grabbing handles.

That said, I'd expect it (for technical, liability and legal reasons) not to happen till after 2060+ for open roads. But it could happen sooner for an exclusive ROW.

Much sooner could be small shuttle vehicles on private property, which has already started to happen now -- e.g. Navia Driverless Shuttle Vehicle -- http://www.popularmechanics.com/car...e-first-autonomous-vehicle-you-meet-16367628/

It's a heck lot simpler if it doesn't have to interact with human drivers on the road.

Back