News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Isn't this a placeholder until they build the new bus loop? I thought I saw a drawing indicating this is where the bus loop was moving to once the new track was installed.
That what I also thought as it the site is large to do both.

The issue for the new south platform is the elevator as it will require taking haft of Railroad St for the new track.

Even taking the office building, still cannot see a larger terminal there with the new track there.

Regarding Milton, how much freight traffic currently operates on the Galt sub in Mississauga? I suspect it's less than on CN between the York Halton sub and Bayview. I used to live in London and would listen to the RTC giving OCS clearances to trains on the scanner, there were usually less than 10 freight trains passing through to/from the Windsor sub in London on a typical day, and some of these were service between the Toyota plants and the US which would never enter Toronto. There also would be interchange traffic to CSX in Buffalo and whatever rail served industries are left in Niagara, but this can't be more than a handful a day.
I watch the ATCS quite frequently and I usually see maybe 1 per hour? Ill need to check again at some point. But these trains are quite long. Halton seems to get more freight traffic.
Station stops typically add about 2 to 3 minutes to GO schedules, depending on the speed limit. Breslau is in a 70 mph zone so I'd guess slightly over two minutes.

The Kitchener Expansion BCA describes a 90 minute travel time for express trains including extra stops at Breslau, Malton and Woodbine (Pearson Junction). Today the travel time is 101 minutes, though I expect that to drop to around 98 minutes in the next timetable.

A more optimistic theory is that GO is assembling properties on the south side of the tracks to make room for another pair of tracks. And the surface parking lots are just a placeholder until that happens.
I'm guessing the last 8 minutes are from Georgetown improvements?

I'm guessing the last 8 minutes are from Georgetown improvements?
Considering that lifting the 1 mile 10 mph slow zone in Guelph saved just under 5 minutes, lifting the much shorter slow zone in Georgetown would save less than 5 minutes. Perhaps 3.

The report in question describes a 90 minute travel time for a stopping pattern which, according to my calculations in an earlier post here, would take 107 minutes with the current (April 2021) tracks. So even with 4 minutes saved in Guelph starting December 2021 and 3 minutes saved in Georgetown at some point in the future, that still leaves about 10 minutes of travel time savings unaccounted for. For that amount of time they would need to find savings along the entire length of the route. Keep in mind that the longest station-to-station time is only 18 minutes to begin (Guelph to Kitchener).

My very rough ideas for where the 10 minutes of travel time savings may have been allocated:
4 min- Increase line speed from 70 mph to 90(?) mph west of Georgetown
2 min- Something with CN between Georgetown and Bramalea? Perhaps increase line speed from 60 mph to 70??
2 min- Organise track layout east of Bramalea to avoid the need for express trains to switch tracks (and thus slow to 45 mph)
2 min- Union Station Rail Corridor improvements enabling 45 mph operations all the way into the platforms.

Last edited:
That what I also thought as it the site is large to do both.

The issue for the new south platform is the elevator as it will require taking haft of Railroad St for the new track.

Even taking the office building, still cannot see a larger terminal there with the new track there.
I don't think they're taking half of Railroad Street, I think they're buying all the properties on the south side so they can eliminate the street entirely, or realign it further south.

Considering that lifting the 1 mile 10 mph slow zone in Guelph saved just under 5 minutes, lifting the much shorter slow zone in Georgetown would save less than 5 minutes. Perhaps 3.

The report in question describes a 90 minute travel time for a stopping pattern which, according to my calculations in an earlier post here, would take 107 minutes with the current (April 2021) tracks. So even with 4 minutes saved in Guelph starting December 2021 and 3 minutes saved in Georgetown at some point in the future, that still leaves about 10 minutes of travel time savings unaccounted for. For that amount of time they would need to find savings along the entire length of the route. Keep in mind that the longest station-to-station time is only 15 minutes to begin (Guelph to Acton).

My very rough ideas for where the 10 minutes of travel time savings may have been allocated:
5 min- Increase line speed from 70 mph to 90(?) mph west of Georgetown
2 min- Something with CN between Georgetown and Bramalea? Perhaps increase line speed from 60 mph to 70??
1 min- Organise track layout east of Bramalea to avoid the need for express trains to switch tracks (and thus slow to 45 mph)
2 min- Union Station Rail Corridor improvements enabling 45 mph operations all the way into the platforms.
I know the speed between Malton and Bramalea used to be 80 mph at one point but currently it's only doing 50 mph, about 3 years ago it was 30 mph max.
Downtown brampton the speed limit is 50 mph but increasing it won't do much since the train usually switches from track 2 to 3 going eastbound.

Some of the midday trains are switching from track 3 to 1 at Norval (track 3 ends at Norval anyways) instead of at Georgetown. I find this saves about a minute, or at least it felt faster to me.

The afternoon trains that skip Etobicoke North are using track 3 at malton and then switching to track 4 at Wice. Right now Unikn Pearson express is using 30 minute head ways

Works are ongoing at Maple GO for an extension of Eagle Rock Way and the new elevator building
20211113_105006.jpg

I cant seem to find much info on this project other than this site plan from the adjacent condo plans:
1636988375066.png

As of today, trains can now travel just as fast down the middle of Kent Street in Guelph, as through the farmland between Stratford and St Marys. The speed limit through downtown Guelph is now 30 mph (48 km/h).

Capture2.JPG

The final speed limit of 45 mph (72 km/h) comes into effect on the 6th of December. At which point the speed through downtown Guelph will be 50% faster than the speed here:

14.4 km of dead straight track between Stratford and St Marys. Speed limit 30 mph (48 km/h).
Capture3.JPG

Works are ongoing at Maple GO for an extension of Eagle Rock Way and the new elevator building
View attachment 363006
I cant seem to find much info on this project other than this site plan from the adjacent condo plans:
Whoa... I haven't been through Maple GO in ages. I thought those were renderings. Didn't realize it's grown up so much!

does anyone know what is being built right next to Malton Go station ? big piece of land , they just did a demolition of a building , next to Magellan Aerospace

does anyone know what is being built right next to Malton Go station ? big piece of land , they just did a demolition of a building , next to Magellan Aerospace
I know the building that got demolished was the old Magellan Aerospace building but I have no idea what's being built there.

57 Midland​

The end-of-line location on 57 Midland will be changed from Midland Avenue and Steeles Avenue to the Redlea Avenue cul-de-sac. This change will mitigate service interruptions expected to occur during the upcoming Silver Star Boulevard closure for the Metrolinx Passmore Grade Separation project, and will provide a direct connection for customers to Milliken GO Station. Three new northbound stops will be introduced on Midland Avenue, at Copthorne Avenue, Truro Crescent walkway, and Steeles Avenue East. Service will be removed from Passmore Avenue and Silver Star Boulevard.
From TTC service changes. Don't know if it's a typo of Steeles vs. Passmore, but if it is true, then Metrolinx is really pushing ahead on Passmore Grade Separation on the Stouffville Line. But considering that they also seem to start building the Finch-Kennedy Smart track station to the south I think Passmore will be later.

could be. My understanding was that most of the Stouffville grade separations were bundled into the OnCorr package which hasn't closed yet, but they may be moving a few forward early for whatever reason.

Back