News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Yeah there's no point in fully double tracking west of Georgetown until the rail-to-rail grade separation and additional tracks are in place between Georgetown and Bramalea.

That said, based on this announcement, there will already be a pretty decent amount of double track between Kitchener and Guelph.

In a distance of 23km (west end of Kitchener Central platform to east end of Guelph Central platform) there will be:

4.2 km existing double track from Kitchener Central to just east of Shirley Yard
2.6 km under construction in Breslau per this contract
0.6 km existing double track at Guelph Central, second platform under construction per this contract
2.0 km westward extension of the Guelph siding, under construction per a separate contract.

(Subtotal 9.4 km by the end of this contract)

And then, according to the article, another contract will extend the Breslau second track eastward across Shantz Station Road by some unspecified distance.

All told, we're looking at nearly 50% double track through that segment, which would provide quite good flexibility for operations. That means less chance of cascading delays, and more opportunities for express service.

Existing double-track in green, under construction in amber, planned in purple:
1.JPG.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah there's no point in fully double tracking west of Georgetown until the rail-to-rail grade separation and additional tracks are in place between Georgetown amd Bramalea.
Is there any news on that front? It seems that the 2WAD service past Bramalea is contingent on a full third track and periodic fourth passing tracks on the Halton Sub according to the 2021 Business Plan, but I haven't heard anything on that front while they seem to be otherwise progressing on sections west of Mount Pleasant.

1652133898455.png

Rutherford - The West Platform opened today and so the project is now mostly complete. The new bus loop and PPUDO opened last week allowing the final parking lot piece in the NW corner of the site to be demo'd. A few more finishes and cleanup across the Site as well ongoing.

The East Platform and overhead bridge are now closed again - we'll see how long this lasts - it technically isn't needed for several years until we get better 2WAD service. Maybe this could be an initial install/testing area for electrification?

Latest advocacy from this group. It's not clear to me if Metrolinx has send not to any of their asks (now that the group has appeared to move away from their suggestion for the fourth track. I can't remember the technical name of what they wanted but Metrolinx said it would be technically challenging and have a greater impact). cc @Northern Light

Latest advocacy from this group. It's not clear to me if Metrolinx has send not to any of their asks (now that the group has appeared to move away from their suggestion for the fourth track. I can't remember the technical name of what they wanted but Metrolinx said it would be technically challenging and have a greater impact). cc @Northern Light

see this is good advocacy. how can we make the area after the project better
i like the ideas, turning it into a nice little park

Lots of progress at Agincourt. My guess is they will have the double tracking completed by the 28th when weekend service resumes. I decided to take the drone for a flight on Saturday and post a video instead of photos.
Enjoy!

All those SFHs around a key transit stop.

With such huge backyards.

What a waste of prime Canadian real estate

I will die owning nothing.

Oh Canada.

Oh Canada.

I empathize with your despair about the housing market, but I’m not sure anyone is promoting that video as “the way of the future”. A better description would be “play the ball where it lies, and build it so they will come”.

I’d take the longer view and consider it an image of transition - the “Before shot”.. The SFH housing stock in that video is all 60 years or older. The video shows plenty of newer housing built in a more dense form…(Personally I hate hirises, seems to be the only form of more dense housing this city can imagine, and that’s lamentable also. There are other ways to increase density).

Tuck the file away somewhere and come back in ten years…. there will be change.

- Paul

Last edited:
Lots of progress at Agincourt. My guess is they will have the double tracking completed by the 28th when weekend service resumes. I decided to take the drone for a flight on Saturday and post a video instead of photos.
Enjoy!
There's no way that the double-tracking will be done by the 28th. First off, we're talking about a Metrolinx-managed project here. Second, the bridge over Highland Creek still isn't complete, and the double-crossovers are located immediately south of it.

Dan

Oh Canada.

This is a bad example imo. These were useless freight lines for the longest time, and set to be abandoned until GO took them over in the 80s. Those houses existed long before then. Expropriation and even buying them up is not an easy process. Once this line is electrified with 5-15 minute service all day, you will see a change in the areas along the line, as the value of the property will become so lucrative only an idiot with a spite house agenda would keep their property.

This isn't a housing failure its a transit failure. GO sat on these single track lines for 40+ years and did barely anything to improve them when they owned them and had no competitors or freight to contend with. The work that's being done now should have been done decades ago.

This is a bad example imo. These were useless freight lines for the longest time, and set to be abandoned until GO took them over in the 80s. Those houses existed long before then. Expropriation and even buying them up is not an easy process. Once this line is electrified with 5-15 minute service all day, you will see a change in the areas along the line, as the value of the property will become so lucrative only an idiot with a spite house agenda would keep their property.

This isn't a housing failure its a transit failure. GO sat on these single track lines for 40+ years and did barely anything to improve them when they owned them and had no competitors or freight to contend with. The work that's being done now should have been done decades ago.
hear hear.
ML is marketing this and electrification all as great awakening but really they are just playing catchup to what the rest of the world had already done long ago. The so called developing nations like India and Thailand all have
better passenger rail than we do.

There's no way that the double-tracking will be done by the 28th. First off, we're talking about a Metrolinx-managed project here. Second, the bridge over Highland Creek still isn't complete, and the double-crossovers are located immediately south of it.

Dan
I meant double tracking the station.

I have another video coming showing the state of the tracks at the West Highland Creek bridge.

Back