Girders are arriving.

FB_IMG_1635546179597.jpg

I know it was mentioned earlier so forgive me as I can't find it, but how many supports (or sets) are being built?

I know it was mentioned earlier so forgive me as I can't find it, but how many supports (or sets) are being built?

According to this document, there are 29 piers being constructed. I'm not sure if #29 is a golf tee pair or the south/north pier of the bridge over the CP line.

Edit: a subsequent document says 27 pier sets. I guess the 29 figure included the pier abutments at either end.

- Paul

According to this document, there are 29 piers being constructed. I'm not sure if #29 is a golf tee pair or the south/north pier of the bridge over the CP line.

Edit: a subsequent document says 27 pier sets. I guess the 29 figure included the pier abutments at either end.

- Paul

but then this image shows Pier Set 1 and Pier Set 29 before the abutments:

1635780906776.png

so ... there is either 54 or 58 total piers, depending what part of the document you read.

I was really curious what it was like too. There's still a pedestrian underpass under the line on Dunraven Drive to Bert Robinson Park, though the design is different.

I think I posted some of these photos earlier in the thread, but here they are collected on Twitter as well. I've only ever seen the inside of the tunnel via the Tales From The Triangle doc, and by sticking my phone through the cracks to take photos.

For others (such as myself) who weren't aware of the Paton Road tunnel, here are some screenshots from Streetview for context:

East portal:
b.jpg

West portal in 2009:
c.jpg

West portal in 2019, prior to start of construction:
d.JPG

Kind of sad to see that the old Paton Rd. underpass that has been sealed off for decades has finally been filled in. Mostly because I never had a chance to go through it. 🙂 The future at-grade tunnel under the tracks will be much nicer though.

I suspect it has been filled in for a while given that the east portal seems to have had a tree growing in it:

a.jpg

Back