News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

From the 'Member's Allowances and Services Manual'

Train: VIA Rail Canada provides Members with free rail pass privileges. VIA Rail also provides Members’ spouses and dependants with a preferred rate (50% discount) for any rail ticket fare. For more information, contact VIA Rail Canada.

Wow. That makes the use of flights particularly gross. Especially if those are east end MPs who have a shorter train ride.

Ah...........the life of a politician. With paying no taxes and perks like this, small wonder most are completely detached from the reality of 90% of Canadians.

I think you have this backwards. What are MPs from a government that is supposedly trying to lead greenwards doing riding an airplane (presumably at taxpayer expense also) when they could be setting an example and riding a train?

I am OK with my taxpayer dollars being used to educate MP’s about the value of good train service. Cheap at any cost.

- Paul

MPs have never paid income taxes
Never on their salary, they are subject to the same taxes as everyone on all other income, but this is not a difference of significance because if they had to pay taxes on their salary they would also be earning a higher salary that would be the exact same amount net of tax they get now.

There are a few dozen bad idiosyncrasies of thhe income tax system that are very impactful, unlike this one.

Last edited:
Huh. Did this change?

“ as frequently as every 15 minutes”

(Which implies an upper limit of 15 mins)

I swear there were sections with faster frequencies, but maybe I’ve confused off-the-cuff remarks with plans.

5 min represents a huge policy shift from GO. currently they are relying on huge double decker trainst to swoop up everyone in 1 shot.
with 5 min, they will most likely only need shorter single deck sets but with more frequency.
We've been saying this for years though, 15 mins would be the absolute minimum...

We've been saying this for years though, 15 mins would be the absolute minimum...

Its so poorly explained by Metrolinx that even the writers at Urban Toronto seem to think otherwise.

The new stations will now be part of the Metrolinx GO Expansion program, meaning that GO trains would likely only operate through the new stations about every 15 minutes during rush hours—a far cry from the subway-like frequency Mayor Tory originally promised.

But, this is about Smarttrack, so SMARTTRACK BAD GRRR

"Trains will operate every 5 minutes on the GO Expansion during rush hour, but only stop every 15 minutes on the Smarttrack stations. The new service levels are being called the F%*&% John Tory plan. GO Expansion trains that bypass the Smarttrack stations that otherwise could have stopped at the station, but won't, because Smarttrack bad, will advise all riders to flip the bird at the station as we pass by"

Back