News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

If you control+find EMU in the EPR there are the following quotes from Metrolinx:

Thank you for your questions and interest in the GO Rail Network Electrification Addendum. We are currently reviewing the fleet strategy to determine the type(s) of vehicles we will procure. This work is looking at vehicle types from self-propelled electric multiple units (EMUs) to electric locomotives to a combination of both. The fleet strategy review is still on-going at this time.

Metrolinx will implement a number of source mitigation measures across the network, including:
• Where possible, using 6-car rather than 12-car trains during off-peak periods.
• Using EMUs along the Stouffville and Kitchener corridors
I think Steve Munro's word is taken with far too much weight.

Especially when he is a very biased induvidual with a passion for the TTC/city and a distaste for GO/province. Its severely obvious in any of his writings. Especially streetcars.

I think hes still pissed to this day that the Streetcar plan for the Scarborough RT got changed to ICTS tech.

Especially when Steve knows more about transit than the TTC commissioners or the Metrolinx/GO Transit board members or city councillors or MPPs?
I don't think that means much. Even in the realm of extremely knowledgeable people in this industry there are still a lot of people with differing opinions from Munro, folks like Jonathan English come to mind. Just because you're knowledgeable doesn't mean you're immune from personal biases or being stuck with an old school way of thinking about issues. This doesn't mean necessarily that no one should listen to Munro or that he's useless as a critic (idk what to call what he does), it just means that you shouldn't take what Munro says as gospel, and instead use his opinion as one of many ways to view the state of transport planning in the city.

Are they going to fully double-track the Barrie and Stouffville lines?

Hard to imagine 8 trains per hour in each direction managing with a single track, even with many sidings. And they can't do just one direction at peak, because there is no room to store so many trains near Union.

You should visit Switzerland

The difference really isn't as major as you claim it to be. You can easily have single level type of door placements on a dual level train, just have it all on the lower part of the train. Sydney's issue is that the door are placed on the mid level section near the end of each train so you have to crowd at these exits which can only exist in the mid level sections. A low floor door placement doesn't have these constraints. Also Melbourne has similar to capacity to Sydney because it runs far longer trains with way more cars. Most Sydney services run 4 car trains while Melbourne trains run 7 car sets.

The issue with using single level trains is that unless you want to run low floor trains (would absolutely be awful for GO RER), you have to rebuild all of the platforms to high floor standards, but doing so would make all of the stations incompatible with the old coaches, which Metrolinx still wants to use in conjunction with the new EMUs since we have a ton of them and they have plenty of life left in them.

Sydney has long run 8 car sets, Melbourne has long run 6. The new HCMT's in Melb are unique as they are 7 interconnected cars, the newer Sydney sets are 8 interconnected cars (used to be 2 4 car emus).

Yep, way too much - especially in the media, it sometimes feels like the only people they know to call about transit is Steve Munro and that Planning prof from Ryerson loool

e

Especially when Steve knows more about transit than the TTC commissioners or the Metrolinx/GO Transit board members or city councillors or MPPs?

Quite a false equivalence, the Councilors and MPPs aren't designing stuff

Yep, way too much - especially in the media, it sometimes feels like the only people they know to call about transit is Steve Munro and that Planning prof from Ryerson loool

Media has very few people they can get an honest knowledgeable quote from on transit issues; honest as in their own opinion. Nearly everyone else willing to provide a quote is either pushing specific product (Soberman with Bombardier LIMs for some reason; where any ICTS would do), has political motivations, works for one of those 2 groups, or simply doesn't have a depth of knowledge on the topic.

Steve certainly has strong preferences, but they're not driven by anything more than genuine belief they're a good long-term solution to the various technical and political constraints.

Last edited:
Especially when he is a very biased induvidual with a passion for the TTC/city and a distaste for GO/province. Its severely obvious in any of his writings. Especially streetcars.

I think hes still pissed to this day that the Streetcar plan for the Scarborough RT got changed to ICTS tech.

Yes this is very obvious from reading his blog. Everything GO/Metrolinx/Province bad, everything TTC/Toronto good. This is the same thing we see on this site with some people. I used to read his blog more often but after i realizing this I only occasionally check his blog.

^I’m very surprised that Steve is seen by some as pro TTC. He has been pointedly critical of how they manage service. He relies heavily on data and provides analysis that is far more detailed than any other source. He does not take their service plans as something Mosea laid down.
He’s not tolerant of evasion or deliberate avoidance of fact.... which sets him up oretty well to be anti-Metrolinx.

I don’t always agree with him, but I take his observations very seriously.

- Paul

I just don't understand the advantages of bi-level trains. Yes, they obviously carry more passengers per train but GO stations are massive so they can simply run longer single levels without the need for any station rehab. Due to dwell times they are markedly slower and this is multiplied enormously during rush hours. They are a far inferior choice for people with mobility issues, parents with strollers, and cyclists. They cause bunching at the stations as there are fewer entry doors. People want the fastest train possible to shorten their commutes and this includes wait times and single levels can run much more frequently than bi-levels and can match any subway frequency. If Toronto ever needs an underground relief corridor for Union, it will be vastly more expensive to build for bi-level trains.

I understand that they do consume less electrical power than single levels on a per-passenger basis but outside of that I really don't see any benefits to ML and absolutely none to the travelling public.

I understand that they do consume less electrical power than single levels on a per-passenger basis but outside of that I really don't see any benefits to ML and absolutely none to the travelling public.

The only reason for sticking with single level is if tunnel or other clearances demand it.

It’s you against AMT, NJT, Sunstar, Metrorail, Metrolink, Coaster, Metra, Roadrunner, ACE, Sounder, West Coast Express, NRTX, Amtrak Pacific, Salt Lake Express, TRE, Paris RER, TGV, NS, DB, Trenitalia, SBB, and a bunch of others. Do ya think maybe you’re missing something they know ?

- Paul

Last edited:

Back