News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

^^ Very cool and looks like a really affordable way to electrify a system.

Metrolinx better prepare themselves for a MUCH higher bill to put up 200km of catenary. Prices are going thru the roof worldwide due to parts shortages and shortages of skilled labour. Prices on the new London area and CalTrain electrifications are soaring and are blowing a hole in their respective budgets. Such a system is great in that it not only reduces raw material costs but probably more importantly, greatly reduces labour time. Probably won't happen as it's too "new tech" for Toronto.

I still think, now more than ever, Toronto should build it's catenary but employ battery trains. It greatly reduces initial infrastructure costs and time to build and offers more flexibility. It also reduces electric costs as the batteries can be recharged overnight when hydro rates are at their lowest.

^^ Very cool and looks like a really affordable way to electrify a system.

Metrolinx better prepare themselves for a MUCH higher bill to put up 200km of catenary. Prices are going thru the roof worldwide due to parts shortages and shortages of skilled labour. Prices on the new London area and CalTrain electrifications are soaring and are blowing a hole in their respective budgets. Such a system is great in that it not only reduces raw material costs but probably more importantly, greatly reduces labour time. Probably won't happen as it's too "new tech" for Toronto.

I still think, now more than ever, Toronto should build it's catenary but employ battery trains. It greatly reduces initial infrastructure costs and time to build and offers more flexibility. It also reduces electric costs as the batteries can be recharged overnight when hydro rates are at their lowest.

Noooo! Not again pleassssse

ALL battery trains are catenary trains. Battery trains have been around for well over a 100 years. Why some think it's some form of new technology is simply beyond me.

Full catenary for core parts of RER certainly but ALL the new trains should also be able to travel a decent distance {at least 20km } on strictly battery. This makes the extension of any electrified rail absolutely free of any new expensive and time consuming infrastructure. If ML wanted to bring RER to Hamilton it could be implemented immediately free of charge. Also battery is a great back up when there is a power outage in a specific area whether due to extreme weather or damage to the wires. With pure catenary such an event brings the whole line to a screeching halt while such an eventuality has no effect on battery. Battery also allows periotic wire upgrades/repairs yet still allows for full operation of the line.

If you want to have 100% of RER catenary then fine but ordering any trains without some decent battery back-up system would be incredibly short sighted because catenary has no back-up system.

For some reason I thought electrification was going all the way up to Barrie?

1649885243035.png

Other feedback:

For some reason I thought electrification was going all the way up to Barrie?

View attachment 392695

Other feedback:

It likely only considers "phase 1".

The key to point out here is that beyond Bradford and Unionville is where they're only planning to run 2TPH (or even rush hours only in the case of Stouffville/Old Elm), as such electrifying these sections is probably considered "low priority".

Two things.

1. I really do hope that they plan to electrify the Barrie/Old Elm segments immediately after the core sections are done - not getting all diesel trains off those lines ASAP would be a huge missed opportunity.
2. Since when are they only doing 2 tph from Unionville to Mount Joy?? I would have thought that a line going right through the heart of Markham would be getting more frequent off-peak service than that.

Electrification will stop at an arbitrary point between Milton and Bramalea?? That makes no sense. I have a hard time imagining that they will not electrify into Bramalea station. Surely they can do something like Lakeshore East where the CN owned tracks and Metrolinx tracks are next to each other but owned independently. Move the weave past the station, move the tracks further south a bit, etc. There is room under the 407, and Bramalea Road bridges to keep tracks apart.

Back