News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The NJT dual mode locos are not necessarily NJT’s favourites, but they are a necessary evil given that the trains they haul go places where running diesels is not possible.

GO might not be so eager to accept the added hassle of dual modes, considering that there is nowhere on the GO system where diesels aren’t permitted. Simpler and cheaper to just retain diesel power and run them through all the way.

But the NJT model is certainly proof of concept, and I’m sure other models may come along.

- Paul

Infrastructure costs are soaring worldwide and thus many systems are having to scale back their once ambitious plans and/or go way over budget. Lack of supply, lack of labour, and soaring commodity prices are a deadly combo for mass infrastructure projects.

This is all the more reason why all the trains should have some ability to travel catenary free via battery. All the trains should have the ability to travel at LEAST 20km catenary-free. Not only does it make the system more reliable but also helps get rid of the problem of ever rising infrastructure costs. The extra amount/weight of the batteries themselves will actually be quite small. You already have battery trains that can travel 200 km at 160km/hr catenary free..........20 km is nothing. What's more as the trains begin to get manufactured and delivered, those battery sizes, weight, and performance will all improve as battery technology for all forms of transport is growing at an exponential rate.

I hate to say I told you so but.........
Please not again...

This is supposed to be a discussion forum, not a "repeat your opinion incessantly, ignoring all counterarguments" forum.

Doesn't NJ Transit use dual mode trains with battery and pantograph? Do they just extend/lower the panto at a station and how long does it take? @smallspy @crs1026
The Class 80x series bi-mode multiple unit trains in the UK can switch between overhead and their underfloor diesel engines while on the move, even at high speed. It's perfectly possible.
Realistically, any GO bi-mode locomotive will do the switch at stations - easy while people are boarding the train.

I'm still expecting a mix of EMUs and bi-mode locos - given the improvement to acceleration and therefore journey times that electrification delivers.

1.6 billion? wasnt it supposed to be like 10 billion?
I think it’s because: 1) they’re staging the work and 2) the funding and cost hasn’t been agreed to by the government or project partner.

From the article the funding seems only to cover development work, signal upgrades, Hydro one upgrades, some crossing rebuilds (maybe those we know of already?)

EDIT: Actually - this sounds like a partial rebranding of some the contracts handed out already.

Last edited:

Thanks @generalcanada!

From the links:

“Before the project’s contractual schedule and price can be finalized, the parties will enter a Development Phase – a multi-stage design process, whereby Metrolinx as project owner, and ONxpress as contracting partner, work closely together to finalize the scope, risk allocation and pricing of various elements of the project. The magnitude of On-Corridor Works requires a two-year Development Phase to progress the design and construction of any early works for the project. Contract cost and schedule will be shared publicly once this phase is completed in 2024.”

Back