News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Also the system would need to be well upgraded to make good use of EMUs, such as more infill stops and renovated facilities.

And BiLevels would still be needed on the non electrified portions of the network.

What possible reason would they have for phasing out the BiLevels? The newest ones were only built two years ago!
I said EVENTUALLY. What's the point of electrification if your not eventually going to use EMUs, like every electrified line in Europe and Asia?

What is the timeframe for "eventually"? The Series I BiLevels have been around since the late 1970s and underwent their most recent refurbishments a few years ago. A coach is basically a shell and is much easier to keep going for decades than a locomotive or transit vehicle.

As for what's the point... eliminating diesel emissions is not enough? Why replace perfectly functional rolling stock that you can get decades of use out of? If you want to purchase EMUs for service expansions, by all means, but making what we have last as long as possible in addition to buying new equipment would be the best decision.

Which is why I don't expect Metrolinx to do it.

What is the timeframe for "eventually"? The Series I BiLevels have been around since the late 1970s and underwent their most recent refurbishments a few years ago. A coach is basically a shell and is much easier to keep going for decades than a locomotive or transit vehicle.

As for what's the point... eliminating diesel emissions is not enough? Why replace perfectly functional rolling stock that you can get decades of use out of? If you want to purchase EMUs for service expansions, by all means, but making what we have last as long as possible in addition to buying new equipment would be the best decision.

Which is why I don't expect Metrolinx to do it.
Quicker accel and decel.
Never mind the marketing material that feature EMUs. I did not say throw them out or whatever. The bi modes (assuming we get bi modes) can pull the bi-levels. But I would hope we stop buying any more.
1659193875487.png

But I would hope we stop buying any more.
I think that is the case, since GO isn’t ordering any more from Alstom. I think now they are focusing on getting the BiLevels refurbished so that they can continue to be used when electrification arrives.

Quicker accel and decel.
Never mind the marketing material that feature EMUs. I did not say throw them out or whatever. The bi modes (assuming we get bi modes) can pull the bi-levels. But I would hope we stop buying any more. View attachment 417029
FYI guys MX has said they are 100% not touching EMUS's theyre taking the bi-levels with electric locomotives.
BI levels are here to stay for decades

FYI guys MX has said they are 100% not touching EMUS's theyre taking the bi-levels with electric locomotives.
BI levels are here to stay for decades
I doubt this. There will eventually come a point where the system will be more integrated for EMU use, and the majority of the BiLevels would be past their service life.

When that time is and whether MX can get it done on time is a different story, but I doubt they’ll never use EMUs.

I doubt this. There will eventually come a point where the system will be more integrated for EMU use, and the majority of the BiLevels would be past their service life.

When that time is and whether MX can get it done on time is a different story, but I doubt they’ll never use EMUs.

I agree that BiLevels will eventually be replaced but I'm not expecting that to occur during this 25-year operations contract. This contract has a very large construction component; every section of every GO corridor will be touched in some way.

An operations/manitenance contract starting in 2050 will likely include a rolling stock refresh, driverless operations, and higher frequencies but significantly less track construction.

Last edited:
Technically, 12 bi-levels with 2 electric locomotives set up one on each end is an EMU. So never say never.
That's push pull operation. Emus is where you have electric motors on multiple cars along the consist hence its name

An operations/manitenance contract starting in 2050 will likely include a rolling stock refresh, driverless operations, and higher frequencies but significantly less track construction.
Can GO even become driverless? I thought with heavy rail trains you couldn’t have driverless operations.

Can GO even become driverless? I thought with heavy rail trains you couldn’t have driverless operations.

In 2050? Absolutely. Any tech that can drive a car, truck, or bus through crowded streets (manufacturing is largely the issue for Cruise and Waymo now, not the tech itself) will be able to safely drive a passenger train too. A combination of lidars/cameras on the train, at level crossings, and moving block signalling will enable it.

The current ~185 level crossings will be mostly grade separated by that point as well.

Last edited:
IIRC, driverless train tech was tested out in Australia (mining). The company said there is no point as the labour cost for their trains was negligible compared to the total cost of running the train.

Back