News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

You know I just realized something, will GO be able to get these new locos by 2024/2025? I mean we don't even know if the manufacturer was decided, and the timeframe for the first 8 locos is already less than 2 years.

I'd guess then maybe 25-30% of the diesels would be retired.
Is there any reason we might not expect spared-out MP40s to be sold on, such as mileage or other intensity of use, or engine weight? There are some pretty old F40s and so on rattling around North American transit agencies.

You know I just realized something, will GO be able to get these new locos by 2024/2025? I mean we don't even know if the manufacturer was decided, and the timeframe for the first 8 locos is already less than 2 years.
It’s going to be a tight turnaround. The contract bidding closed in September, so MX should be in the process of deciding on a winner now. I have no idea who bid, but I can’t see someone like Siemens being able to turn around an order this fast considering how busy their plant is.

It’s going to be a tight turnaround. The contract bidding closed in September, so MX should be in the process of deciding on a winner now. I have no idea who bid, but I can’t see someone like Siemens being able to turn around an order this fast considering how busy their plant is.
Maybe Siemens can build another facility in Canada? They may get another VIA rail order for their legacy fleet. If the Northlander comes back they may need 4 locos.

Anything else on the horizon in Canada? Are the F59PH's for west coast express going to need replacement?

Maybe Siemens can build another facility in Canada? They may get another VIA rail order for their legacy fleet. If the Northlander comes back they may need 4 locos.

Anything else on the horizon in Canada? Are the F59PH's for west coast express going to need replacement?
maybe they could negotiate a slot into the existing production backlog with Amtrak. They have large orders so they could afford to have a dozen locos come slightly later than planned in exchange for some
cash incentives.

Oct 9
It been 11 years since I last shot this locomotive pushing an Westbound Train A Port Credit

GOT 647 was a hell lot quitter than 671 that was real loud arriving at PC and became quitter after starting to move again. Have never heard 671 been this loud every time I have seen it to date.
133A3007.JPG
133A3008.JPG
133A3010.JPG

Considering how it was just 3-4 years back that MX wrapped up with the order of 16 MP54ACs, I doubt they’d suddenly opt for refurbished freight locos over something new.
Unless they're using it as a short term stopgap until they can get electric locos...

Unless they're using it as a short term stopgap until they can get electric locos...
I don't understand what you mean. Are you saying that maybe the locomotives will only be temporary and then once the electric locomotives arrive they'll be taken off the roster? Because in that case it doesn't really matter what locomotives they get as long as they preform reliably.

Well Metra in Chicago just got “like-new” commuter rail locomotives which ended up being refurbished freight locomotives. Metrolinx/GO PLEASE don’t do this.
Different agencies have different needs and financial realities

In 2018, Metra acquired 24 FP59PHI passenger locomotives from Amtrak California at a price of $1.3 million each, which reduced the percentage of its 147-unit fleet in “marginal or poor condition” from around 70% to around 45%. The arrival of the SD70MACH fleet expected to reduce the figure to 14% by 2023.
16-710 power, AC traction, 4000hp, Tier 3. It's Metra so I'm guessing top speed isn't going to trouble the model's 70mph capability. A model and power which likely has a substantial parts availability nearby. They could have done worse, I think?

Different agencies have different needs and financial realities

16-710 power, AC traction, 4000hp. It's Metra so I'm guessing top speed isn't going to trouble the model's 70mph capability. A model and power which likely has a substantial parts availability nearby. They could have done worse, I think?
And you can find those who would say buying used locomotives instead of making new ones is a 'Green" option.
The calculations these days about what you "should" buy are quite politically complex.

Back