News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

OMK:

The renderings suggests the use of frosted glass - which means the lattice will be visible as silhouettes.

AoD

And here it is. (I think I would have preferred clear glass. But it's all good with this project.)

7895914482_f2b5ec1bb5_c.jpg

Speaking of The Canadian, and this may not be the best thread to bring this up in, the search for more platform capacity brings up an interesting question. Since VIA Rail has no ownership stake in the Union Station complex, has there been talk of GO sending them packing to a new station instead of sending some GO routes to Bathurst? I'd hate to see it happen, and it likely wouldn't make much of a difference, but it would open up a few platforms during the rush hour.

Isn't part of the Union reno money Federal funding? I wonder if there was some kind of condition in there that VIA has to have continued use of the station after the reno.

VIA may not have a stake in Union, but I think there's no flying pigs' chance in hell of VIA leaving the station, so it's not even worth contemplating. just imho though

I must say I do not like the look of the addition to the train shed from above. However, from street and platform level, I can see this looking very impressive.

The gap in the roof really lets a lot of light in.

I also like how the southern wall is coming together. Really airy.

The construction really is driving home how much more pleasant Union station track level would be without the Bush trainshed.

Right now it feels like we're preserving a dank basement, even if it is historic.

The VIA 1 lounge was the first project completed as part of this renovation, no? Surely that's a sign they aren't going anywhere.

The VIA 1 lounge was the first project completed as part of this renovation, no? Surely that's a sign they aren't going anywhere.

While I totally agree with the idea that as long as there is a VIA they will operate out of Union....the completion of the new VIA 1 lounge has nothing to do with that. All that that indicates is that they operate there now, and since that is true they need a lounge for their higher paying passengers. The old lounge had to be removed....so they moved.

Are you guys referring to the blue material at the northwest corner? If so, that is not Tyvek, it is Blueskin, and I would seriously hope that it is not part of the finished roof assembly! Many metal roof systems do have an underlayment membrane installed beneath the metal panels, however Blueskin is not the way to go. It has a relatively low melting point, and as such should never be installed directly beneath metal roof panels which reach extreme temperatures in the sunlight. Hopefully it's just there to provide temporary watertightness until a new copper roof is possibly installed.

I have noticed more sunlight coming into the platforms. I am curious to know when the sun hits down on that thing, how hot the platforms are gonna get. During most of those hot days, its like a sauna standing on the platform. Will this make it worse or better?

Will the long, outdoor platforms (pictured above) that extend out of the train shed be "touched up" or renovated in any capacity? I know they don't really serve much purpose anymore in terms of passenger loading (aside from The Canadian?) but it would seem a bit off to put all this great effort and time into the station and then leave the platforms as crumbly old asphalt n' wood beams.

Does anyone know what exists below these outdoor platforms? I assume some portion of the Station 7, and Goodlife (or Extreme Fitness) health clubs are there, as well as some of the MTCC underground conference rooms. I ask because I always felt that part of the dig down at Union should have included a Westward extension of the station under York to as far as Simcoe st. It would make passenger flows a lot smoother, especially if GO is planning on using them as Nfitz has said.

Does anyone know what exists below these outdoor platforms? I assume some portion of the Station 7, and Goodlife (or Extreme Fitness) health clubs are there, as well as some of the MTCC underground conference rooms. I ask because I always felt that part of the dig down at Union should have included a Westward extension of the station under York to as far as Simcoe st. It would make passenger flows a lot smoother, especially if GO is planning on using them as Nfitz has said.

I would guess that's unexcavated fill dating back to the initial construction of the rail corridor into the city. I think the fitness club is fully within the Skywalk building and the MTCC starts west of Simcoe. I'm not even sure if the MTCC has anything under the tracks or if the north and south facilities are disconnected underground.

I'm not even sure if the MTCC has anything under the tracks or if the north and south facilities are disconnected underground.

There is certainly no PUBLIC underground link link between the two parts of MTCC and I doubt there is any significant link apart from the bridge. Excavating for more than cables under a working and busy rail corridor is very expensive - look how long it took to get the Simcoe tunnel built.

There is one maintenance/utility tunnel connecting the south and north MTCC buildings under the tracks, its about wide enough for 2 golf carts to pass through side by side.

Back