News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Metric expansion seems at a standstill in Canada, at least until the U.S. adopts, which probably means it is at a permanent standstill.

As Mexico further integrates into NAFTA, we might find them a useful ally on a number of fronts. Together we could fully implement metric without having to simply follow US practices.

I see there is a motion being discussed at the Executive Committee this morning (brought forward by Councillor Minnan-Wong) with regards to changing the name of Union Station to Sir John A McDonald Station

I see there is a motion being discussed at the Executive Committee this morning (brought forward by Councillor Minnan-Wong) with regards to changing the name of Union Station to Sir John A McDonald Station
The motion was adopted..

"The City Manager be requested to report on the renaming of Union Station to Sir John A. Macdonald Station on or before the July meeting of Executive Committee, it will give the public the opportunity to make their deputations on this matter."

The Skydome will always be the Skydome. Ditto for Union Station, regardless of whether it becomes Sir. John A MacDonald Station.

What's the point?

Because somehow we forgot to name anything after Sir John A?

Because other stations are called Union in other cities (for the same reason) and people regularly go to the wrong city because of it? Have other cities renamed their 'Central' stations for this reason?

Because DMW wants attention? Could that be it?

Sir. John A. had nothing to do with Union Station, in fact he died 24 years before ground was broken on the site. Richard Pryor has more to do with Union Station than Macdonald or pretty much any favourite Conservative hero.

Denzil Minnan-Washington would be better to get the formal name of Highway 401 restored - pretty much every trace of its status as the Macdonald-Cartier Freeway has been removed.

Firstly, no thanks.

Second, Denzil, dude... At least pick someone to honour that wouldn't outright hate you because of your skin colour if they were living today.

I don't often agree with Adam Vaughan but in this case I do.....there are plenty of new public spaces being created with the renovations to Union Station....he notes the plaza....so that could be "Sir John A. Macdonald Plaza at Union Station"....nothing wrong with that...but Sir John A Macdonald ("JAM") Station is a non-starter.

I don't often agree with Adam Vaughan but in this case I do.....there are plenty of new public spaces being created with the renovations to Union Station....he notes the plaza....so that could be "Sir John A. Macdonald Plaza at Union Station"....nothing wrong with that...but Sir John A Macdonald ("JAM") Station is a non-starter.

Yep. Name a plaza after Sir JAM, put up a statue that DMW can unveil and then move on to the next bullshit idea.

Yeah ummm no. I've never heard of anyone getting confused due to numerous train stations being called union... There are two Penn station in the NY area, one in Manhatten and one in Newark/NJ has it caused issues? If you think it does just name it Toronto Union Station.

Yeah ummm no. I've never heard of anyone getting confused due to numerous train stations being called union... There are two Penn station in the NY area, one in Manhatten and one in Newark/NJ has it caused issues? If you think it does just name it Toronto Union Station.

As much as I think the idea of renaming Union is dumb, I think we need to be clear on what DMW seems to be saying....I don't get that he is saying people are confusing one Union station for another....I think he is just saying that there is nothing unique to Toronto around the Union name and that replacing it would create a specialness/uniqueness.

I disagree with him but I don't think he is actually suggesting that people get confused over "which Union".

As much as I think the idea of renaming Union is dumb, I think we need to be clear on what DMW seems to be saying....I don't get that he is saying people are confusing one Union station for another....I think he is just saying that there is nothing unique to Toronto around the Union name and that replacing it would create a specialness/uniqueness.

Even so, there isn't another Union station anywhere else in Canada (is there?) and the destination is referred on tickets, in announcements, etc., as 'Toronto - Union Station', which is distinctive enough.

Back