News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Can we please let actual transit riders worry about usability (of which the name is hardly an issue) and concentrate on the bigger issue of transit funding and expansion please?

In New York City, a real world city, poulation 8.3 million, mayors and councillors are selected after a gruelling 1 year long primary process. The current mayor, Bill de Blasio, who was selected among a slate of equally experienced candidates and comes from a background as NYC's former, elected ombudsman, has made the following items part of his agenda: dealing with income inequality and housing affordability, improving transit service, and improving city-wide education programs from Kindergarten through postsecondary institutions, including rolling out apprenticeship programs to help pair local entrepreneurs with students.

In Toronto, which fancies itself a world city, population 2.6 million, all you have to do to run for election as mayor or councillor is register. The current mayor, Rob Ford, was elected among a slate of candidates who were not as flawed, but all flawed in serious ways. Apart from nepotism guaranteeing him a job at his father's label business, he has no prior professional experience, and chooses to spend his days cavorting with known criminals and abusing illegal narcotic substances. He has no agenda other than to spout platitudes to get himself reelected. City council has made the following items part of the agenda: banning shark fin soup; mulling the idea of renaming Union station after the first prime minister, whose name already graces many public buildings, landmarks and geographical features across Canada.

It should be noted that, like NYC, Toronto also has issues with income inequality, transit accessibility, housing affordability and education. None of these situations are as dire as in NY (except transit, which is more urgently needed here), but they are real problems and may be getting worse.

Last edited:
Yes it does. Toronto Union station handles 65 million passengers annually, it's the busiest passenger transportation hub in Canada. Why should it not have a unique name? I don't think Sir John A. MacDonald is the right name though.

5718.jpg

In New York City, a real world city, poulation 8.3 million, mayors and councillors are selected after a gruelling 1 year long primary process. The current mayor, Bill de Blasio, who was selected among a slate of equally experienced candidates and comes from a background as NYC's former, elected ombudsman, has made the following items part of his agenda: dealing with income inequality and housing affordability, improving transit service, and improving city-wide education programs from Kindergarten through postsecondary institutions, including rolling out apprenticeship programs to help pair local entrepreneurs with students.

In Toronto, which fancies itself a world city, population 2.6 million, all you have to do to run for election as mayor or councillor is register. The current mayor, Rob Ford, was elected among a slate of candidates who were not as flawed, but all flawed in serious ways. Apart from nepotism guaranteeing him a job at his father's label business, he has no prior professional experience, and chooses to spend his days cavorting with known criminals and abusing illegal narcotic substances. He has no agenda other than to spout platitudes to get himself reelected. City council has made the following items part of the agenda: banning shark fin soup; mulling the idea of renaming Union station after the first prime minister, whose name already graces many public buildings, landmarks and geographical features across Canada.

It should be noted that, like NYC, Toronto also has issues with income inequality, transit accessibility, housing affordability and education. None of these situations are as dire as in NY (except transit, which is more urgently needed here), but they are real problems and may be getting worse.

While you're right, I give minus points due to you adding to my already intolerable dose of Rob Ford oriented news for the day. And the fact that your comparison isn't even close to the reality. One is a platform another is a look back at what has been achieved.

Where's McDonald's Station?

I think Union Station has a pretty generic name, but I'm thinking this might be a bad choice.

While you're right, I give minus points due to you adding to my already intolerable dose of Rob Ford oriented news for the day. And the fact that your comparison isn't even close to the reality. One is a platform another is a look back at what has been achieved.

Okay, even without mentioning Rob Ford, you have to admit that - for a city of our size and stature - we have one of the most pathetic collection of municipal politicians gracing our city council. There are a few good people, yes, but the system itself is a complete shambles and it's no wonder people tune out of municipal politics.

It's a pipe dream and probably a severe abuse of power, but I long for the day that the province basically "cleans house" and completely rebuilds council and the mayor system from top to bottom. Toronto is a very progressive city with great thinkers and committed leaders, but somehow, out of the 2.6 million of us, we end up with this, and I think it's because our system leads us to this.

It's a pipe dream and probably a severe abuse of power, but I long for the day that the province basically "cleans house" and completely rebuilds council and the mayor system from top to bottom.
Isn't that how we ended up in this mess? I don't recall Alan Tonks smoking crack.

Another sign that we have way more threads then necessary - People are talking about the exact same thing on the "Union Station (GO/VIA): Station Building Revitalization (City of TO, U/C, NORR)" thread.

Its high time that all construction related to Union station be merged into one thread. That being; the shed, the track work, the underground concourse and the subway station.

Another sign that we have way more threads then necessary - People are talking about the exact same thing on the "Union Station (GO/VIA): Station Building Revitalization (City of TO, U/C, NORR)" thread.

Its high time that all construction related to Union station be merged into one thread. That being; the shed, the track work, the underground concourse and the subway station.

Or better yet, people stay on topic =) I don't venture into those parts of the forums but I suspect there are places to discuss Rob Ford and renaming union station.

Shed Shot

March 10 as seen from TELUS House

UPX_UnionStation_20140310_03.jpg

Attachments

• UPX_UnionStation_20140310_03.jpg
    UPX_UnionStation_20140310_03.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 903
First sections of steel pieces for the north roof "overhang" (over platform 3) are in place.

Back