News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

kyler

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hey All,

Just moved downtown and I'm looking to get some internet connected this weekend. I was wondering what people's thoughts were on their various providers, and if you have any recommendations for service.

Looking to not pay more than $50 a month, but of course cheaper is better. I need relatively high speeds, and I need a lot of bandwidth since I use a VPN for work and transfer design files which are several GB,

Let me have your thoughts!

I have been happy with Teksavvy @ around $30 / month (plus extra for static ip's).

Any of the DSL providers have to use Bell Techs to do the installation - which sometimes can be a hassle. I went with them for both internet and now Telephone. The long distance rates for them are very good. I actually found their accountants to be more technically competent than Rogers Tech support.

Now if I can only get Roger's to stop billing me for internet - it has been 6 months now and the internet keeps automatically being cancelled. Spent a total of around 2 hours on the phone with them twice getting the bills fixed and the cancellation applied as of March 20th again.

I've been using Acanac (DSL) since mid June and they are great. I have DSL and VOIP through them, and they offer dsl through dry loop (no need for a phone line). I paid for 12 months and had to buy the voip modem (~$60), but the net costs $18, VOIP $10 and $8 for the dry loop service. Total of $34 per month, taxes in. It's not quite turn-key easy to set up, but it's worth the massive savings (vs. 80-90+tax through Bell for inferior service).

Is there ISP that does not throttle P2P? Rogers throttles my uploads like crazy.

Acanac uses Bell, which throttles P2P, but they do offer access to a terminal server 'virtual PC'. There's a tutorial on their site that shows you how configure a connection through the terminal server. Not quite perfect, but it works pretty well for bittorrent.

If you're fortunate enough to live in a cityplace building, you can get Telus' blazing fast 100mbps internet. Fastest connection you can get anywhere in the country.:D

If you're fortunate enough to live in a cityplace building, you can get Telus' blazing fast 100mbps internet. Fastest connection you can get anywhere in the country.:D

how is it possible? and how much does it cost? any why only cityplace?

Is there ISP that does not throttle P2P? Rogers throttles my uploads like crazy.

Not in Toronto right now. Several DSL companies did not - so Bell decided to throttle for them.... the issue is before the CRTC now - Oct 31 is the date for handing down the ruling. If it is let to stand - competition in the ISP area will be greatly reduced (i.e. duopoly)

Forgot - the throttling on DSL is usually between the times of 4pm - 2am (approximately) - the rest of the time it is not throttled.

go with teksavvy.

if you want to get by the throttling you can do it by having a WRT54GL router w/ Tomato firmware.

there's lots of discussion about it on dslreports.

how is it possible? and how much does it cost? any why only cityplace?

Telus and Concord have partnered on this. Telus basically runs fibre from all the cityplace buildings to their hub just down the street on 151 front.

It's about $50 a month... so less than rogers extreme. But there are usually sign up deals for half-off for the first 6 months or so.

I'm a hardcore internet user and this internet access alone is a good reason to live here. No throttling and no bandwidth caps whatsoever.

I actually had to upgrade to a gigabit switch, because between two computers I had, I was saturating all the bandwidth on my 100mbps switch when downloading on both at full speeds.

^... Do they have different plans? A friend of mine lives there and I thought he told me its about $75/m

Telus and Concord have partnered on this. Telus basically runs fibre from all the cityplace buildings to their hub just down the street on 151 front.

It's about $50 a month... so less than rogers extreme. But there are usually sign up deals for half-off for the first 6 months or so.

I'm a hardcore internet user and this internet access alone is a good reason to live here. No throttling and no bandwidth caps whatsoever.

I actually had to upgrade to a gigabit switch, because between two computers I had, I was saturating all the bandwidth on my 100mbps switch when downloading on both at full speeds.

you're lucky!

i wish the other ISP's would update their infrastructure rather than impose limits.

^... Do they have different plans? A friend of mine lives there and I thought he told me its about $75/m

it's something like $35 a month for the first 6, and then $49.95 after.

http://www.mytelus.com/cityplace/internet.vm

What is a typical month's throughput for you?

honestly I have no idea. I do know I have downloaded several blu-ray images on a weekly basis sometimes. I would guess I download around 250gb per month

the only real bottleneck for my downloading now is my hard drive... i can have several parallel downloads going at around 10mbps... on a place like rapidshare for example. the only problem is that the files download relatively quickly and it takes a while to write them all to my hard drive... think I might have to go RAID 0 next.

to be honest telus+cityplace internet feels almost too good to be true.... i keep thinking there's gonna be a catch... but there hasnt been so far.. its been a year +

Back