News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

That reminds me of the Save On and the associated strip mall by 102nd Ave and 109 St. The grocery store is nice, and I'm not sure if something of that size could fit into a tower like the Oliver Safeway, but the rest of the businesses would have been so much better as part of mixed-use developments. So much parking lot. So much empty space above them. And all at the heart of Jasper Ave. Even 3-6 storey buildings would be better than what's there.
View attachment 422470
The Save On could very well fit in a podium if they were the only tenant in there. Imagine if Oliver Safeway was to take the CWB side of that podium as well. I could very well picture a full size grocery store, with the deli on the second level of the CWB branch (which has some pretty neat west views, btw).

We should've had something like this for the Save On and the whole Canterra, tbh. Some underground parking, a bunch of 6-10 mixed used buildings with all of these businesses on the podiums and a little park/courtyard in the middle where the parking lot is, with the businesses having some patios there, would've been perfect for the area, give off a very urban vibe and probably be one of the most coveted residential units in Edmonton.

The Canterra Centre (the strip mall with Save-On at Jasper/109 St) was built sometime in the late 1990s during the days of "gud enuff fer lil ol Edmonton".

New West has something similar of a development on Columbia Street even though it’s much more dense than downtown Edmonton. These kinds of places serve a certain demographic well.

Not trying to be contrarian today but I actually love that area. Great place to park and go for a beer across 109th then get my groceries/burger priest and head home. It used to be kinda convenient when I lived there!

New West has something similar of a development on Columbia Street even though it’s much more dense than downtown Edmonton. These kinds of places serve a certain demographic well.

Not trying to be contrarian today but I actually love that area. Great place to park and go for a beer across 109th then get my groceries/burger priest and head home. It used to be kinda convenient when I lived there!
I don't think Columbia Street is denser than Downtown Edmonton, let alone much denser. Especially if you consider Oliver right beside it. My biggest beed with Canterra is that the parking lot is hardy ever more than half full.

The kind of business mix they have is indeed good and I do go there quite frequently, but it would be much more befitting of a downtown core of a major metro area if it was fully developed into mixed used or residential, with all of the same businesses around.

I don't think Columbia Street is denser than Downtown Edmonton, let alone much denser. Especially if you consider Oliver right beside it. My biggest beed with Canterra is that the parking lot is hardy ever more than half full.

The kind of business mix they have is indeed good and I do go there quite frequently, but it would be much more befitting of a downtown core of a major metro area if it was fully developed into mixed used or residential, with all of the same businesses around.
I stand corrected and retract my statement. I went and googled the population densities of various different cities and somehow downtown New West is about equal to downtown Edmonton. This is somewhat surprising considering downtown New Wests high population and small footprint compared to Edmontons large foot print and assumed population of 11,000. I’m too lazy to dig on my phone tho lol.

Personally, I still think there’s several areas that are higher priority for redevelopment than this straddling development and I think it serves a valuable purpose to the community. If land constraints ever become an issue in the next 100 years or so, I could certainly see it being prime for development considering that corner’s potential. But for now I like parking muh Fiesta there and not getting a ticket as I do my errands and exploring. :p

Super frustrating to have this DT, but I suspect it’ll be a mega development one day. Once valley line is done and we’ve urbanized more with warehouse park, etc, I could see this getting a big 4+ tower project in the mid 2030s.

Super frustrating to have this DT, but I suspect it’ll be a mega development one day. Once valley line is done and we’ve urbanized more with warehouse park, etc, I could see this getting a big 4+ tower project in the mid 2030s.
My big dream is to make that the spot of our Central intercity train station, with tunnels connecting to CN’s lines to the north, and a line south over a reinforced HLB (or a replacement). I would love to see it incorporate some mixed use towers. They would be highly desirable. Go downstairs and you could grab a 20-minute service to the airport, a high speed train to Calgary, or maybe a day trip to Jasper. One can dream….

I stand corrected and retract my statement. I went and googled the population densities of various different cities and somehow downtown New West is about equal to downtown Edmonton. This is somewhat surprising considering downtown New Wests high population and small footprint compared to Edmontons large foot print and assumed population of 11,000. I’m too lazy to dig on my phone tho lol.

Personally, I still think there’s several areas that are higher priority for redevelopment than this straddling development and I think it serves a valuable purpose to the community. If land constraints ever become an issue in the next 100 years or so, I could certainly see it being prime for development considering that corner’s potential. But for now I like parking muh Fiesta there and not getting a ticket as I do my errands and exploring. :p
I think the population depends on how you define downtown - there seem to be a lot of differing opinions on that. With a number of high rises and condominiums built in the last decade, I would think that the population has increased and will continue to do so. However, the lower mainland is a special case with severe restrictions on development (mountains, water, etc...), so it wouldn't be surprising of even the outlying areas have more density in some areas than most other places.

I think the population depends on how you define downtown - there seem to be a lot of differing opinions on that. With a number of high rises and condominiums built in the last decade, I would think that the population has increased and will continue to do so. However, the lower mainland is a special case with severe restrictions on development (mountains, water, etc...), so it wouldn't be surprising of even the outlying areas have more density in some areas than most other places.
There's also an Agricultural Land Reserve that severely restricts greenfield development. I would love it if the Edmonton region had that, but I suppose it's not realistic in Alberta

There's also an Agricultural Land Reserve that severely restricts greenfield development. I would love it if the Edmonton region had that, but I suppose it's not realistic in Alberta
I agree you are on to something - some of the very best agricultural land in Alberta borders Edmonton and we are losing that for suburban sprawl.

However, in general terms no shortage of agricultural land in Alberta, unlike BC which is mostly mountains, so I don't sense much political will or public desire to preserve it, even though we maybe should.

Back