8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

vistaway

Member Bio
Reaction score
Del Ridge Homes is building a new condo in Downtown Milton on Main Street, near Centre St. They are marketing it as Canada's Greenest Condos, with zero condo fees and zero carbon emissions.

The building isn't impressive to look at, but it is making use of an awkward site that is set somewhat back from the street. It's industrial/commercial right now, so this is a (rare) brownfield development for Milton. It's an unattractive site by any definition, wedged between railway tracks and strip plazas. This is a good step to increase the density of this area. The approx. location is http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=43.517237,-79.879813&spn=0.002879,0.004823&t=h&z=18. The b

greenlife.jpg

Here's a link to the floorplans: http://www.greenlifecondominiums.com/_pdf/GLM-HTMLPREVIEW.pdf

Del Ridge Homes is building a new condo in Downtown Milton on Main Street, near Centre St. They are marketing it as Canada's Greenest Condos, with zero condo fees and zero carbon emissions.

Originally I read that there were to be ZERO condo fees, which confused me (posted it on my blog in July)...

Their website now says "next to nothing in condo fees"...

I still do not understand "next to nothing in condo fees", does that mean they will have no amenities? No elevator?

Maybe it is geothermal?

Looking forward to more information on this..

Hmm, this looks interesting.

Perhaps they intend to make money off carbon credits? If the condo is actually 100% green and emissions-free, they could potentially make a lot of money selling carbon credits in the future.

Their website now says "next to nothing in condo fees"...

I still do not understand "next to nothing in condo fees", does that mean they will have no amenities? No elevator?

Sounds like simply advertising hype. Fees may indeed be low (but compared to what?), but they certainly can't be nothing. Common area elements like elevators (at least two) and the underground garage, and ongoing things like snow clearing etc. do cost some money.

The building does look OK, nothing spectacular, but density in this generally low-rise community should certainly be encouraged. I'm guessing it will be well received in the market, if only because there is little else to compete with it.

Edit: Somehow in my initial look I missed the solar panels on the roof. This may add substantially to energy efficiency.

Last edited:
Sounds like simply advertising hype. Fees may indeed be low (but compared to what?), but they certainly can't be nothing. Common area elements like elevators (at least two) and the underground garage, and ongoing things like snow clearing etc. do cost some money.

The building does look OK, nothing spectacular, but density in this generally low-rise community should certainly be encouraged. I'm guessing it will be well received in the market, if only because there is little else to compete with it.

Edit: Somehow in my initial look I missed the solar panels on the roof. This may add substantially to energy efficiency.

My comments were more of the sarcastic nature! I guess I should learn what a sarcastic emoticon looks like......

But, of course, thanks for the information!

Interesting that they changed their zero fee pitch. I missed that.

Back in the summer, they stated:

"GreenLife will deliver zero carbon emissions through energy saving
measures, energy conservation techniques and energy producing measures such as ground source heating and cooling, on-grid electricity from wind turbines, and on-grid electricity from roof solar arrays. "The green energy income stream will produce enough revenue to cover the condo fees of every resident on a yearly basis." added Dave de Sylva."

I have a feeling this will sell very well. Similar sized-condos on Main St E sold out quite quickly (5 buildings in all) and they are building another 6 near that site. From this location, it's a not-unreasonable walk to pretty much everything, and an easy bike ride to anywhere in town within minutes.

Interesting that they changed their zero fee pitch. I missed that.

Back in the summer, they stated:

"GreenLife will deliver zero carbon emissions through energy saving
measures, energy conservation techniques and energy producing measures such as ground source heating and cooling, on-grid electricity from wind turbines, and on-grid electricity from roof solar arrays. "The green energy income stream will produce enough revenue to cover the condo fees of every resident on a yearly basis." added Dave de Sylva."

I have a feeling this will sell very well. Similar sized-condos on Main St E sold out quite quickly (5 buildings in all) and they are building another 6 near that site. From this location, it's a not-unreasonable walk to pretty much everything, and an easy bike ride to anywhere in town within minutes.

Yup! I knew I wasn't going crazy! I was sure I saw zero maintenance fees. I am also pretty sure I saw that in some adverts.

Very cool idea. I think it is amazing, even if it doesn't cover ALL the fees.

Tridel and Delridge are seperate entities but one may also think they are the same people because DMS (Del Management Solutions inc) is another of Tridel's company and they are the ones that are going to manage the low-income housing project in markham at Kennedy/407 now called the TONY WONG PLACE (which was built) by Del Ridge.

Tridel - Del Zotto Family
Del Ridge - George Le Donne and Dave De Sylva

Any updates on this project?

The site has been cleared and I believe they are either sold out, or nearly there (they were at 90% shortly after going on sale). So I would expect construction soon.

Back