39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

SunriseChampion

Member Bio
Reaction score
So, plants are cool.

I especially like trees and flowers.

Anyway, I thought we might have some place for expert opinion and advice. I know some of you know what's what in the realm of potted and planted things, don't lie. ;)

I have two potted spruce trees on my balcony and I was wondering when a good time to transplant them to bigger pots would be. I've had one for over a year and the second one since Christmas. Is it better to do soon, before they start budding or in the fall, just before they go dormant for winter?

So, plants are cool.

I especially like trees and flowers.

Anyway, I thought we might have some place for expert opinion and advice. I know some of you know what's what in the realm of potted and planted things, don't lie. ;)

I have two potted spruce trees on my balcony and I was wondering when a good time to transplant them to bigger pots would be. I've had one for over a year and the second one since Christmas. Is it better to do soon, before they start budding or in the fall, just before they go dormant for winter?

Now.

You always want to transplant during the dormant period as much as is possible.

Full spring is high energy expenditure for plants as they push hard to grow and for trees to store energy for fall.

Full summer has some of the same growth issues, but is also a high-stress period due to heat and need for moisture.

Fall early/winter would be choice #2. The downside w/fall is that the roots will not grow into the pot/new soil over winter, and if the ground freezes quickly there's greater risk of air pockets/water pockets which when cold/frozen can damage or kill the tree.

Conifers and any nut-bearing tree are higher risk in fall relative to other species.

Try to keep the bulk of the roots, but do give a number a small trim as this stimulates new root growth.

You may also wish to get some conifer specific-fertilizer; though if your planting into good soil, it shouldn't be necessary.

Do water, don't over-water. You can easily drown a Spruce.

Last edited:
Perfect, cheers.

Now only if I hadn't stayed up til 8 this morning, drinking IPAs, I could have got it done today. ?

Also, I may have killed my ivy. I left it outside in winter and I thought it was good on low water. It dried out in winter, but it's not as if I could have watered it. What's the deal with that? Any idea?

Perfect, cheers.

Now only if I hadn't stayed up til 8 this morning, drinking IPAs, I could have got it done today. ?

Also, I may have killed my ivy. I left it outside in winter and I thought it was good on low water. It dried out in winter, but it's not as if I could have watered it. What's the deal with that? Any idea?

What species of Ivy?

English Ivy is typically winter tolerant.

You're suppose to prune it back to about 3 to 6 inches long in late fall, give it one good water, (well before the ground freezes) and then let'er go til spring.

If the pot is quite tiny it is possible the entire soil volume froze.

Having said that, its early in the season, if you haven't thrown it out, give it a water, put it in full full sun, see if it re-sprouts.

It does do that sometimes.

Last edited:
Damn, so it is dead.

It's on the floor of my balcony in a long pot. There are three plants and the soil deffo froze through entirely. Sun eh? I understood ivy to be shade-loving. Or is that just shade tolerant?

So I should put it in the sun? It's blocked from sun by my tinted glass balcony veil.

Damn, so it is dead.

It's on the floor of my balcony in a long pot. There are three plants and the soil deffo froze through entirely. Sun eh? I understood ivy to be shade-loving. Or is that just shade tolerant?

So I should put it in the sun? It's blocked from sun by my tinted glass balcony veil.

Shade Tolerant. Wouldn't want 100% full sun all the time.........but can definitely handle and indeed needs, some sun.

Unlikely your balcony tint blocks the relevant light qualities, but can't say for sure.

In terms of its ability to sprout leaves along its length, if the vine is dried through, its dead.

Easy enough to check, just cut off the outer tip to start.

If its brittle.........its done.

If its green and flexible, its alive.

In-between.........iffy.

If brittle, keep cutting back til it isn't.

But not to less than 3 inches.

After that, if there's any life in the roots, it needs some material above surface to feed energy down. (though if brittle all the way through at 3 inches........its 99% that its dead as a door nail)

Ok, will do all the gardening work on the balcony tomorrow, cheers.

Just noticed today that my trees are starting to sprout new growth so I pretty well have to do it tomorrow.

So, I cut back the ivy to about 3 inches. The stem is green but dry at this point along the vine which I'm guess from the above means its recovery is iffy. Well, I put it on my table on the balcony which will give it full sun for about 3-4 hours currently every day.

I transferred the trees to massive planters today as well so they should be good to go for life. Each planter has ~75L volume. :D

Will now need to control height at some point in the future. I'm assuming pruning them down will force them to grow bushier and to the sides as opposed to vertically, yes?

So, I cut back the ivy to about 3 inches. The stem is green but dry at this point along the vine which I'm guess from the above means its recovery is iffy. Well, I put it on my table on the balcony which will give it full sun for about 3-4 hours currently every day.

I transferred the trees to massive planters today as well so they should be good to go for life. Each planter has ~75L volume. :D

Will now need to control height at some point in the future. I'm assuming pruning them down will force them to grow bushier and to the sides as opposed to vertically, yes?

Yes, Spruce trees are trimmable that way. Best to do so in early spring, about this time.

Brush up on your Bonsai, LOL.....

Tree will look a bit naked on top if you trim off its leader.....(the needles that are vertical to the sky at the top)

But it can be made to look nice.

Generally, the tree will try to form another leader, but you can re-prune as required.

Looks like NorthernLight beat me to it. But was going to say instead of transferring to bigger pots, consider downsizing to smaller. It's easy to make a tree grow large; a bit more a challenge to miniaturize it.

I don't want to miniaturise it. I live in South Parkdale, right above the train corridor/highway/big road.
The air is disgusting here. You should see the 1980s communist Europe filth that is deposited on my windows.

Why we have permanently scarred our waterfront with a highway and why we still use diesel trains is beyond me. I guess I'm too dumb to know how great both those things are. ;)

Anyway, I'm trying to go as big as possible, but will have to trim at some point once they reach the balcony ceiling...though, it'd be interesting to see their contortions if I just let them be at that point.

Ah yeah you got a minutely tsunami of pollutants washing over your place. Spruce is a slow grower though. Maybe consider white pine. Grows super fast, and not prickly. And for inside get some spider plants. Dirt easy to grow, and I'm certain clean the air quite well.

Also maybe consider a wall of green that can be achieved by mid summer right to the soffit. Some pole beans and morning glory, Then come Fall leave the dead foliage just to muffle the dull roar from the expwy and rail corridor.

Yeah, spider plants are awesome. I used to have a beauty that I named after a mate. I somehow eventually managed to kill it after a decade of moving it around southern Ontario with me. ?

Morning Glory sounds perfect actually.....probably better than the ivy that I may or may not have killed.

Pine also sounds great.

Thanks for the ideas!

Back