News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

The ivy is dead, I'm pretty sure.

The question then becomes: how do I prevent it from drying out in the winter? Surely I can't be watering the planter all winter.

Ditch the ivy? But I love it! (So much I smothered it to death)

The ivy is dead, I'm pretty sure.

The question then becomes: how do I prevent it from drying out in the winter? Surely I can't be watering the planter all winter.

Ditch the ivy? But I love it! (So much I smothered it to death)

Option 1) Bring it indoors for the winter.

Option 2) Put in a much larger soil container where the soil is less likely to freeze.

Option 3) (in combination with 2 if desired) set up a windscreen on the side of the plant most vulnerable to high winds.

Any which way, do not water beyond the 1st week of November.

No more water til late March at the earliest.

Protecting roots from drying out...........is sometimes done by letting snow settle on the soil.......barring that..........consider an inch of mulch on top in late fall (not on the leaves, just over the soil.

Won't help if the pot freezes solid; but will if the freezing is at the surface.

Any way to keep orchids from developing flowers again after initial bloom? I can keep them alive for years with no more flowers.

I mean, I'll take any greenery, but another round of flowers would be cool.

Any ideas?

I bought a rose bush for my balcony. Am I able to keep this thing outside in its pot for the winter or do I have to bring it in?

Nope, deffo just killed a new growth.

Jumped up and turnt to my orchid after reading that article and snipped it off, as told......and noticed a new growth.

I guess...with my hunting history, I'm meant for death.

For those who have an actual yard...........a worthwhile graphic showing why many native meadow plants are a good alternative to conventional sod, particularly in full-sun/dry spaces. These have much deeper roots which can access and store water during dry times.

Graphic courtesy of The Meadoway.

1592838538119.png

If you like seeing Black Swallowtail Butterflies............and you see some this summer in Toronto, I may take the credit.

I almost always lose my parsley to them for awhile each year.............and once again........there are 3 caterpillars chomping away.

But this year, they are also on my dill, which is in a different planter, almost 3M away.

And there are 3 on that plant as well.

So assuming they don't get eaten by anyone.....(not me!) .....at least six butterflies will originate from my balcony this year.

I hadn't even had any of the dill yet! Damn it!

We have a fairly successful butterfly garden going. I had a black swallow tail caterpillar as well last year but my parsley died and I haven’t made it to a garden centre yet this year. I couldn’t figure out where (assuming it survived) the chrysalis would be.

2019 was an exceptional monarch butterfly year for us. We observed several butterflies from egg to butterfly all within our little patch. Milkweed is actually an amazing plant that hosts a vibrant community of insects we observed unlike many of our non-native plants. I’m concerned this year because we haven’t seen a single Monarch and we have no eggs as of yet. I read their overwintering in Mexico this year was very poor.
6B8B3B04-6371-4A96-B8E1-757C82C79350.jpeg

Think I'll stick this sign of spring here:

1649432646815.png

The Chives on my balcony have returned for another year.

They're adding about 2cm per day, and should be harvestable by Monday!

Back