News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

smuncky

Member Bio
Reaction score
gwanggyo2.JPG

Rotterdam-based architects MVRDV recently won the Gwanggyo City Centre Competition with their design of this incredible new city just south of Seoul, South Korea. Envisioned as a verdant acropolis of organic ‘hill’ structures, the proposed complex is a fully self-sufficient city for up to 77,000 inhabitants. Similar nodes, common in South Korea, concentrate residences, work and play all in one interactive center, reducing dependency on auto or train travel and building a strong sense of community.

mvrdv-ed01.jpg

MVRDV’s masterplan provides space for housing, offices, shops, and educational facilities. Designed as a cluster of structures rising up in concentric rings, each floor in the city is lined with lush box hedges that improve ventilation while reducing energy and water usage. An internal irrigation system stores extra water from the buildings and uses it to sustain these green facades. MVRDV states: “This diverse program has different needs for phasing, positioning and size. To facilitate this all elements are designed as rings. By pushing these rings outwards, every part of the program receives a terrace for outdoor life.â€

The concept is currently being reviewed for development and feasibility at Gyeonggi provincial authority’s Urban Innovation Corporation. Development is to be completed in 2011 and construction will start shortly after.

mvrdv-ed02.jpg

gwanggyo4.JPG

gwanggyo5.JPG

gwanggyo6.JPG

gwanggyo7.JPG

gwanggyo-power-centre-by-mvrdv-080709-final-booklet-90.jpg

http://www.inhabitat.com/2008/12/08/gwanggyo-city-center-by-mvrdv/#more-17223

http://www.dezeen.com/2008/12/03/gwanggyo-power-centre-by-mvrdv/

How lovely. The encircling terraces of box hedge could be shaped into topiary animals a la Edward Scissorhands, or clipped to echo the saucily-shaped buildings themselves.

i feel sorry for the guy that has to trim all those bushes.

for some reason the project looks like some sort of strange growth or assortment of green dildos or butt plugs. must be the flared bases with rounded tips. actually, they kinda look like cactus. these views are all the more reason to build them. it can be something different to everyone. man, those things are freaky! the buildings look like they're alive!

re:

The buzz in Korea seems to be that this is something of a pipedream. I have no doubt that the Korea is on the cutting edge of technology and is certainly a prime candidate for a paradigm shifting design/building along these lines though. They're really building up Incheon (it's to Seoul what Mississauga is to Toronto) and have planned out a CBD and skyline that would put Toronto (and Seoul) to shame, I'm excited to see it grow...

Only Dr. Ganja knows for sure. He's building a faux Villi By The Ganges with stupendous attention to detail and quality finishes called Villi By The Ganja.

Those are healthy looking villi... I don't think that development has coeliac disease.

And contrary to rumours, I am not developing a 'Villi by the Ganja". I am not in favour of goofy developments meant to shock and awe. I'm a traditionalist who believes in the tried and true concepts of pre-WWII city building. You know, people-scaled blocks, walkable neighbourhoods, vibrant streetscapes, all that jazz. This termite colony looks like an incredibly dull place to live. You are correct about attention to detail though. Unpainted undersides of balconies would be banned. Concrete as a cladding material would be banned. Exceptions for its use in small quantities would have to be approved by the Office of GQC (Ganja Quality Control), and violators would be asked to leave the village and relocate down the river to Usmu City (Urban Shocker's Modernist Utopia) where they could drive the wide boulevards around all day and all night, unbothered by pedestrians, to admire the grey boxy landscape.

006.jpg

A man recently ousted from Ganja City for not cladding the concrete pillars of his condominium tower arrives at the gates of Usmu City where he wonders what kind of new life awaits him.

Back