News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The 401 gets up to about 18 lanes in the city. If the area is so rural, what's stopping it from getting wider? Also, you may have picked up re the UNESCO reference that it's not just about finding a literal gap in the escarpment.

There's one thing about a massive freeway through an urban area, quite another through rural areas. When an intercity freeway gets so busy that it needs to be built to a massive urban standard, it's time for a second highway. And like I said, widening the 401 does nothing for Georgetown and northern Brampton, not to mention vacationers from western ON wanting to go to cottage country. The urban GTA should have a bypass. Also, A nation should have sovereignty over the UN. I know that concept doesn't have much currency on this forum, but that's a fact

Last edited:
There's one thing about a massive freeway through an urban area, quite another through rural areas. When an intercity freeway gets so busy that it needs to be built to a massive urban standard, it's time for a second highway. And like I said, widening the 401 does nothing for Georgetown and northern Brampton, not to mention vacationers from western ON wanting to go to cottage country. The urban GTA should have a bypass. Also, A nation should have sovereignty over the UN. I know that concept doesn't have much currency on this forum, but that's a fact

Canada has complete sovereignty. It's not as if the UN can force Canada to do anything. But there's a certain effect on public opinion when UNESCO says that you're damaging a World Biosphere Reserve.

I do agree in general that it might make more sense to build a second route rather than endlessly widening a rural highway.

I cited UNESCO to emphasize that we should be trying to minimize the impact on the escarpment, and that the choice between widening and a new route was not simply a matter of finding physical gaps. That's all. I have no idea what you are trying to say about sovereignty. World Heritage Sites are selected by a list put forward by the country where they're located. The countries have to have signed on to the treaty to participate IIRC. I would think there could be issues with respect to federalism, but I don't think this is a case where the Feds were, decades ago, trying to screw over the residents of northern Brampton.

Back