News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Yeah... I've been in Hamilton more in these past two months since I started college than I have in my whole life and I can say I do have a better view of Hamilton now than I did before, but I still hold a high prejudice towards it and I do not see myself living there at all

I guess I'm just a Toronto oriented man

Like many others who live and work in this city, we've felt the pressure to look further away for a home to purchase. Driving around the clean, quiet, neighbourhoods in Milton (!) or north Whitby (!!), my wife and I start seriously contemplating the move. Convincing ourselves that it wouldn't be so bad. Hey, it's so clean and quiet. Hey, people seem nice. Hey, the commute could be spent reading or surfing the web on the GO. It would actually be productive time. Etc. (We haven't gotten as far as Hamilton yet, but its shadow looms.)

But then we ask ourselves one simple, honest question: If price wasn't a factor, would we still want to live here?

The "investment" side of housing isn't as important to us as the overall quality of life we would obtain by choosing to live in a particular location. Yes, location, location, location. I'm 45 years old, and don't have the time, nor the patience, to wait for an area or neighbourhood to "catch up".

Nothing against those who move into up-and-coming areas and ride it out to future profits or who adapt to their new surroundings like fish to water. But I would still rather rent and live here, where I want to be, where my wife's commute is only a 20 minute subway ride, where everything we need is within a 10 minute stroll, than move to a town or city that offers us no other incentive (key word "us") than a cheaper purchase price.

We've accepted the fact that home ownership in Toronto is probably beyond our reach. But in the pie of life, it is only one slice, and the city offers us so much more that it is a fair compromise. At least for today. :)

Are Hamilton's zoning bylaws as restrictive as Toronto's?

I take it as the Hamilton market becomes hotter and hotter developers will take more of a notice and begin instensification and revitalization of Hamilton's downtown, all those parking lots, and the more low-density streets like Cannon and Barton to the north?

Back