DavidCapizzano

Member Bio
Reaction score
New 12 storey student residence developed by Knightstone Capital & McMaster University, designed by Diamond Schmitt. The building is immediately east of the campus and is replacing several houses.

161017-1190-Main-Street-Compiled-2-11.png

161017-1190-Main-Street-Compiled-2-12.png

161017-1190-Main-Street-Compiled-2-1.png

ZRx2dj0.jpg

Looks like the latest news on this was from November 2020:

And January 2021:

This is now approved, and appears to be moving to construction soon:

FGp_riqXEAY2jOh

https://www.thepublicrecord.ca/2022...-to-olt-over-1190-main-street-west-site-plan/

McMaster/Knightstone Going Back to OLT Over 1190 Main Street West Site Plan

Lawyers for McMaster University and Knightstone Capital Management are asking the Ontario Land Tribunal to hold a hearing on their site plan submission for 1190 Main Street West.

McMaster/Knightstone reached a settlement agreement with the City of Hamilton in late 2021 to permit the building of the 1,379-bed residence. The building will be 15 storeys closest to the rest of campus on its west site, and 10 storeys or below as it transitions to the east side of the property bound by Dalewood Avenue.

In a notice of hearing issued Wednesday, the Tribunal states the hearing is requested by David Bronskill of Goodmans LLP who is representing McMaster and Knightstone.

“A site plan appeal for this matter remains before the Tribunal. Good progress has been made towards resolution of the site plan matters,” wrote Bronskill in the request for a hearing date. “After speaking with City legal about different options for implementation of approval of the site plan application, and considering different timing options and other matters, our client believes that asking the Tribunal to approve the plans/drawings and conditions of approval would be the preferred route forward.”

The hearing is scheduled for Wednesday, August 3, 2022.

McMaster University is presently short thousands of residence beds which is impacting the institution’s recruitment efforts for both undergraduate and graduate students.

An OLT approval of the Site Plan application will enable McMaster to get construction permits.

Desperately needed residence space, glad to see this is going along.

If the situation at McMaster is desprate as I know it to be, I can only imagine how bad it is for Toronto Metropolitan University who we've just found out cancelled plans for their new residence building.

I have to assume McMaster is putting all its effort and money into the downtown student residence and that's why this one hasn't even seen a permit application yet?

Anyone know anything? It's a sad stretch of Main right now, mind you so it the rest since LRT led to the demolition of various buildings along the corridor.

I have to assume McMaster is putting all its effort and money into the downtown student residence and that's why this one hasn't even seen a permit application yet?

Anyone know anything? It's a sad stretch of Main right now, mind you so it the rest since LRT led to the demolition of various buildings along the corridor.
There has been a permit application:

1692973389278.png

There has been a permit application:

View attachment 502227
Oh! That's great news! I wish the permit applications had a date on them, I'm curious how recent they are, I know 23 at the start means "2023" but I know these typically take a couple of months. That means we could see construction start soon, likely early next year!

I'm very happy to see the building named after Lincoln Alexander.

Unfortunately, I find the renderings quite drab. I think it should contrast with the bigger (and nicer) McMaster Health Sciences Centre next door, which has a similar grey palette.

Construction is set to begin on McMaster’s 15th residence building Lincoln Alexander Hall. Construction is expected to start on November 1st, 2023 and welcome students to their new home in the Fall of 2026.

Located on Main Street West between Dalewood Avenue and Forsyth Avenue, the 1,366-bed building should allow McMaster to guarantee all first-year students a space in residence.

As of Monday, October 16th, 2023, the sidewalk surrounding the construction site on Dalewood Avenue, Traymore Avenue, and Forsyth Avenue will be closed for the duration of the construction project. Signs will direct pedestrians to other sidewalks, while the Main Street West sidewalk remains open.

McMaster is working closely with the construction partners to prioritize safety and ensure minimal disruptions to the neighbourhood. This includes careful consideration of noise, dust, construction traffic and the safety of pedestrians near the site.

McMaster is providing letters to homes and establishments near the site. An updated construction project web page is also available for more information.

Back