News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

@SeanTrans: that picture is from Sherman Ave. just north of the rail corridor. People are still living in those buildings (I heard music coming from one of them)!
I came across that block just in the past month or so. Really hardcore. Almost would rather leave well enough alone, in spite of itself.

And in the middle of it all, that vintage "Stanley" gateway...looks like the plant's still operational, too...

North Hamilton - Hard to believe it's a Canadian city!

Flar: Great pix of North Hamilton! I would never think that you would find a run-down area in a Canadian city-some of those rowhouse shots like #6 remind me of run-down areas of mid-Atlantic cities like Camden,NJ or Chester,PA. Are any of the pictured areas have high crime rates or are dangerous to be present in as an outsider? Smucky-Buffalo does NOT have rowhouses of these types or major quantities of brick construction. But it has its tough neighborhoods we all know... LI MIKE

Smucky-Buffalo does NOT have rowhouses of these types or major quantities of brick construction. But it has its tough neighborhoods we all know... LI MIKE
yeh thats kind of what i meant. i didnt mean that architecturally they were the same but more of the feel was the same when u looked at the pictures.

The crime rate in Hamilton is similar to other Ontario cities, that is to say it's relativley low and much lower than cities out west in Canada. Even neighbourhoods like these aren't particularly dangerous. There's property crime and drugs but violent crime is rare. Lots of social problems though: alcoholism, drugs, child neglect, poverty, etc.

Some people are scared because of the way it looks, but it wasn't dangerous for me to walk alone in this area with my camera. I certainly wouldn't walk around like this in a comparable neighbourhood in a US city.

North Hamilton pics...interesting!

Flar: Interesting info about North Hamilton! From further review,it looks like to me like some of the poor white neighborhoods in Philadelphia like Kensington in the lower NE. Chester or Camden are mainly minority populated cities that are far and away more dangerous than what is pictured-I did not see any burned-out buildings in the HML pics-but some are very much restorable in HML under the right circumstances! Much of that housing stock looks solid to me!
LI MIKE

North Hamilton pics-seen again

ST: You are right-the one pic looks like it could be right out of a US city-I surprisingly overlooked that one burned out building. That graffiti of the man with the caption Who's YO Daddy? is comical. But-for some reason from looking at the pics again I understand that it is poor and run down-but not dangerous crime-wise like it would probably be in the USA. LI MIKE

This pic is the bleakest I've seen Hamilton.

Parts of the far north end are pretty bleak - I recognize the old Westinghouse plant tower and a few other buildings, along with some Barton Street storefronts (Barton between James and Ottawa is something else). Downtown (which I am sure you'll get to) seems to be on a very slow revitalization trend - after bottoming out around 1995 or so.

The worst of it really reminds one of the US Rustbelt, which makes its mark in Ontario though Niagara Falls, St. Catharines, Hamilton, Brantford and Windsor.

Can you spot the Coca-Cola masonry shadow? :)

@flar: I'm interested in getting some of the uncompressed originals for use as backgrounds, close to 1680x1050, do you have them available?

There's a rusty turbine rotor there on a stand ...

like something you'd see in a ships's engine.

The pic says a few things, like they lost a contract, and the scrap metal value wasn't even worth it.

The crime rate in Hamilton is similar to other Ontario cities, that is to say it's relativley low and much lower than cities out west in Canada. Even neighbourhoods like these aren't particularly dangerous. There's property crime and drugs but violent crime is rare. Lots of social problems though: alcoholism, drugs, child neglect, poverty, etc.

Some people are scared because of the way it looks, but it wasn't dangerous for me to walk alone in this area with my camera. I certainly wouldn't walk around like this in a comparable neighbourhood in a US city.

Looking at pictures of nabes like this makes me indescribably sad. Sad that some people have fewer or no choice of where to live. I can only imagine the insides of some of those dwellings.

Back