News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

flar

Member Bio
Reaction score
South Kirkendall
Hamilton, Ontario

A journey through some early to mid 20th Century house styles

At the turn of the 20th Century, industry flourished in Hamilton. Hundreds of manufacturing industries were established in the
city, causing Hamilton's population to nearly quadruple between 1900 and 1940. The economic prosperity brought with it a
burgeoning white collar and professional class which lived in neighbourhoods like this one.

Hamilton's position as “Canada's manufacturing metropolis†echoed the situation in North America more generally. As the rising
industrial juggernaut led to more and more products being produced outside the home, a new consumer society emerged. This
led to changes in lifestyle which were reflected in the types of homes being built. These dramatic changes in the North American
way of life partly explain why styles and tastes changed so quickly around the turn of the century. Victorian homes only a decade
or two old were now regarded as hideous monstrosities, too complex and fragile. Families longed for more practical homes better
suited to modern lifestyles.

Like the mass manufactured goods and consumer lifestyle that inspired these house styles, this marks the beginning of the time
when housing became less identifiable with specific cities or regions. This neighbourhood is fairly representative of the type of
middle and upper middle class suburbs that flourished in Canada's larger cities at the time.

Suburban Canadian homes were heavily influenced by the British Arts and Crafts movement, sometimes called the "English Cottage"
style. These homes are meant to have a picturesque and rustic look and often incorporate Tudor half timbering.
00181.jpg

00187.jpg

00134.jpg

00060.jpg

The influence of a more American Arts and Crafts style is also apparent.
00205.jpg

00009.jpg

Here are some more conventional low and sprawling but deceptively large Craftsman homes:
00119.jpg

00115.jpg

00135.jpg

This basic bungalow design is plentiful in virtually every North American city, though these are the only ones in this particular
neighbourhood.
00030.jpg

Variations on the foursquare make up the basic shape of the streets. Canadian architecture books refer to this general style as
"Edwardian Classicism."
00201.jpg

Some are plain, but many have stylistic details added to give them more character.
p1.jpg

Not quite sure what to make of the strange bay window/dormer with semi-octagonal roof, but it is repeated on many houses in
this neighbourhood.
00157.jpg

00153.jpg

The ever popular Tudor Revival. This style dominates in the adjacent neighbourhood of [Chedoke Park[/, as well as in several other
Hamilton neighbourhoods such as Westdale and St. Clair.
00056.jpg

00114.jpg

00124.jpg

00193.jpg

During this period, apartment buildings were stylistically integrated.
00151.jpg

00190.jpg

The Prairie style is relatively rare in Ontario, but features of the Prairie style were often added to variations on the ubiquitous
foursquare. You can see the Prairie influence mostly on the front poches, with their horizontal emphasis and bulky support columns.
00192.jpg

00164.jpg

00166.jpg

00061.jpg

00064.jpg

Back to earlier parts of the neighbourhood. A foursquare and a couple Edwardian townhouses.
00196.jpg

00216.jpg

00077.jpg

00223.jpg

00176.jpg

A wooden misfit
00203.jpg

And even older parts, vestiges of Victoriana:
00178.jpg

00180.jpg

00200.jpg

These houses straddle the line between the Victorian and Edwardian eras
00074.jpg

00078.jpg

Total Edwardian Classicism:
00075.jpg

00230.jpg

00133.jpg

00159.jpg

Some more streetscapes. Suburbia built during this period was still very walkable.
00019.jpg

00080.jpg

beth Jacob synagogue
00209.jpg

A little cottage like the ones found throughout North Kirkendall
00036.jpg

Colonial Revival styles were also popular in this era
00058.jpg

00086.jpg

00088.jpg

00102.jpg

00059.jpg

I haven't noticed that many Dutch Colonial houses in Hamilton outside this neighbourhood, but I'm sure they're out there.
00143.jpg

00214.jpg

00215.jpg

00073.jpg

00120.jpg

More daring modern and contemporary styles are found as the neighbourhood approaches the foothills of the escarpment:
00048.jpg

The visible steel beams in this one are appropriate for Hamilton.
00100.jpg

00028.jpg

00050.jpg

00092.jpg

00032.jpg

00097.jpg

Larger homes are interspersed throughout the neighbourhood.
00188.jpg

00185.jpg

00128.jpg

00084.jpg

There's that semi-octagonal bay/dormer "witch's hat" thing again
00136.jpg

00072.jpg

00108.jpg

00186.jpg

00125.jpg

kirkendall3.jpg

I can visit Hamilton, see all the interesting houses and still stick it to the gas companies by not needing to drive. Thanks flar.:)

Thanks for those great pics as always, flar.

Are you familiar with Walter Peace at McMaster? I'm taking a planning class with him and he seems very well versed in Hamilton architecture.

^^I haven't really delved into mid and later 20th century housing yet, but I occasionally see some interesting examples.

Thanks for those great pics as always, flar.

Are you familiar with Walter Peace at McMaster? I'm taking a planning class with him and he seems very well versed in Hamilton architecture.

I know of him, and also Richard Harris I think teaches a course on Hamilton housing. I have read some of their work, I should swing by their offices sometime.

A good Wintertime look at early Hamilton suburbia...

Flar: Again more good pics of well built brick and stone architecture here mostly-so many good pics here but I will note these:
#10-Note license plate "LE GNOME" on VW Bug in foreground.
#11-Nice brick house block.
#16-Great stone work on this house.
LI MIKE

Flar, you have taken us on many good tours of Hamilton, which happens to be my original home area. I follow each of your threads with interest. Thank you for the pictures and the explanations.

Thanks for the great tour. The architecture notes are very interesting too. It is so much more interesting to understand what one is looking at. Flar, have you ever considered hosting an UT walk-about of Hamilton?

^^you guys are welcome :)

Thanks for the great tour. The architecture notes are very interesting too. It is so much more interesting to understand what one is looking at. Flar, have you ever considered hosting an UT walk-about of Hamilton?

I would be happy to show people around. If anyone is interested, send me a PM or reply here.

^^you guys are welcome :)

I would be happy to show people around. If anyone is interested, send me a PM or reply here.

I'm definitely up for joining a UT walk... I'm in Westdale most of the time so its not much of a jaunt.

Back