8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

flar

Member Bio
Reaction score
Some of you will celebrate, others will miss it, but this is the end of the Hamilton Series.

00038.jpg

00256.jpg

00354a.jpg

00034.jpg

00088.jpg

00289.jpg

00086.jpg

00184.jpg

00194.jpg

00025.jpg

00191.jpg

00054.jpg

00259.jpg

00059.jpg

00204.jpg

00067.jpg

00200.jpg

00009.jpg

00033.jpg

00036.jpg

00240.jpg

00124.jpg

00046a.jpg

00184.jpg

00250.jpg

00224.jpg

00018.jpg

00015c.jpg

00261.jpg

100118.jpg

00286.jpg

00030-00032.jpg

00183.jpg

00200.jpg

100063.jpg

00317.jpg

00180-00184.jpg

00082.jpg

00041b.jpg

00112s.jpg

00004.jpg

00124.jpg

00192.jpg

00099.jpg

00102.jpg

00063.jpg

1.00038.jpg

00331.jpg

00145.jpg

00017.jpg

00106.jpg

00063.jpg

00162.jpg

00120.jpg

00039.jpg

tews_falls_2.jpg

00232.jpg

00262.jpg

00061.jpg

00008.jpg

00110.jpg

Hamilton Finale pics - New or previously posted pics?

Flar: Another great group of pics in your Hamilton Finale!

My only question is: Are these pics new or pics from your previous
tours? I do recognize a few you posted here...

In your travels you probably took enough pics to post new ones but
there are many good pics from your tours to choose from.

You should post a pic of yourself taking a bow to the applause from those
of us who really enjoyed your tours of Hamilton-like me!

If they are indeed new pics I would like to comment on them.
Thanks again-Long Island Mike

As a retrospective, most of these were posted before, but there are quite a few that have never been posted on UT. Similar to the Hamilton Series Interludes, I chose a wide variety of shots that show various aspects of Hamilton all in one place: nature, grit, housing, industry, people, and architecture.

Worthy Finale!

Great compilation, as per usual, Flar!

Hamilton really misses you -- specifically me!
Everytime I open up a new issue of View mag, I sigh a lil once I see your 'Civic Shots'.

NOW GET WORKIN ON A BOOK/CALENDAR ALREADY :p

ps: You're photos have actually been forwarded to dozens on my Non-Hamiltonian contacts over the years encouraging a vast majority of them to visit with or without me!
If you've managed to change my contacts' minds on Hamilton -- which is quite an accomplishment as most are in Toronto -- then I can only imagine how many hundreds more you've inspired to visit!

Thanks again for all your hard work! You have single-handidly done more to expose this City, selfLESSly, than any other Hamilton 'promoter' or 'philanthropist'.

Simply brilliant. A love for this difficult-to-love city shines through. You must get a publisher.

Flar: My comments on some of the Hamilton Finale pics...

Flar: After taking some notes here I will note these pics-I think for the most part they are new:
#4 and #34-Gotta love those Fall leaves-except if YOU have to rake 'em!
#14-What is this building-great architecture by the way?
#16-Perfect tidy brick houses-where?
#19-Interesting rowhouse block with a SE PA look!
#21-A block of "Hamilton-Style" homes-where?
#39-A good pic from above of the GO/TH&B Station with a train in.
#42-A good telephoto pic with some steel mills and Toronto in the background-would it be visible with the naked eye?
#43-Nice Brownstone block-where?
#50-Interesting twin brick row-type homes - where?
#55-HPD on the scene!
#56-Looking S in Downtown toward the GO/TH&B Station.
#59-This pic reminds me of Pittsburgh.
#71-Is this the former CN Station - it is quite a building!
#73-Reminds me of NYC...
#96-Corner neighborhood store-how common are they in Hamilton?
#99-Kids in run-down neighborhood-where?
#110-Neat rowhouses with garage in center-where?
Again thanks for the pics and take a bow-You have definitely earned it!
Long Island Mike

Flar, I'll echo the sentiments. You have posted a great number of good pictures, well composed and striking. I think I've mentioned before that I am a native of Hamilton, and I sort of like to think that I know the city pretty well, but you have certainly opened new perspectives to me.

Bring on the Ottawa series! :)

Hey LI Mike!

#14-What is this building-great architecture by the way?
This is the Pigott Bldg. Hamilton's 1st skyscraper, built in 1929.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pigott_Building
It helps to make the Gore Park area of Downtown the Gem of Downtown! (Well, that and the Fountain).

#16-Perfect tidy brick houses-where?
I'm guessing Durand? This is the 'Rosedale' of Hamilton, on the Southern most edge of Downtown nestled at the bottom of the Niagara Escarpment.

#21-A block of "Hamilton-Style" homes-where?
I can tell this is in the East End, around Sherman Ave North. I can tell b/c I can see Henderson Hospital at the top of the Mountain which is right by Upper Sherman Ave.

#42-A good telephoto pic with some steel mills and Toronto in the background-would it be visible with the naked eye?
Almost every day! The clearer it is, the larger the Toronto Skyline appears for some strange reason!?

#43-Nice Brownstone block-where?
Again, in Durand (Hamilton's 'Rosedale'). Old, ritzy neighbourhood Downtown.
I believe these townhomes are @ Duke/McNabb (S/W corner?)

#50-Interesting twin brick row-type homes - where?
Ahh, my specialty! This is for sure in Corktown --my hood-- which is near Durand (Southern Downtown), but just East (So around John St to Wellington, Main to the Escarpment).
I've lived in Corktown for about 5 years now, but will be moving to the North End this fall. Corktown is by far my favourite Hamilton hood!!

#59-This pic reminds me of Pittsburgh.
I've been to Pittsburgh, and yes, Hamilton and the Pitt are rediculously similar! Same topography, same type of people (friendly yet rough around the edges). Their downtown is much more dense, but about half the size of Hamilton's. Pitt also has way more (modern) skyscrapers !
ps: this photo was taken in the same area as #21 you like. Oddly enough, a lot of Toronto ex-pats have moved in this general area, but closer to the Escarpment between Sherman & Ottawa (near Gage Park).

#71-Is this the former CN Station - it is quite a building!
Yes, was used up until 1989 I think? Until GO Suspended service to Hamilton before reopening at the TH&B in 1996. The old CN Station is now a popular banquet hall called LIUNA Station. There is to be a GO Platform installed just west of this site for the Niagara Line.

#96-Corner neighborhood store-how common are they in Hamilton?
They were? They're dissapearing more-and-more as the original owners (usually immigrants) retire and their kids don't want to take up shop. I fear this will happen with a lot more shops, including one of my fave Chinese Food places, Pagoda, at King & John downtown.

#99-Kids in run-down neighborhood-where?
I'm guessing East End, again. Somewhere near Sherman/Ottawa? Flar? haha

#110-Neat rowhouses with garage in center-where?
I don't even have to look at the pic to knwo which one you mean... you meant the brown/yellow ones, right? hahaha
It's on McNab St N, just North of Barton St. This is literally around the corner from the old CN Station aka LIUNA Station.

Wow what a fun quiz!! Any more!? HAHAHA

DC83: it's been a while, good to see you're still in the Hammer.

DC83 nailed most of LI Mike's questions, a couple things I'll add:

#16: Durand indeed, Bruce St. specifically. These were houses for people who worked at all the nearby mansions.

#43: widely considered the finest building of its type in Canada outside Montreal (which blows away everywhere else in Canada in this department).

#50: Augusta St. which is in the heart of Corktown.

#55: a rare murder scene in Hamilton

#59: Sherman Ave looking south. Henderson Hospital on the escarpment.

#96: Still tons of neighbourhood corner stores, though some have closed as DC noted

#99: That alley scene is on Somerset east of Cannon and Sherman (North Stipley neighbourhood)

Observer Walt: the Ottawa series has begun in the World Photos section

I sent this thread to a friend of mine who lives in the Hammer and here's what he had to say...

...those photos actually brought a tear to my eye! That is the Hamilton I know and love!! I even knew a few of the people in the shots and some of my friends homes were in them as well. And my local convenience store that i was at just ten minutes ago. Thanks for forwarding that!

I sent this thread to a friend of mine who lives in the Hammer and here's what he had to say...

That kind of response is very common among people born and raised in the lower city. They often have a nostalgic love for the city combined with a sad apathy about its current state. I like showing the pictures to people from the lower city because they have such intimate knowledge of the streets, they know all the locations and it's hard to stump them. Younger people from the Mountain or other suburbs are usually surprised by what they see. Even many lifelong Dundas residents (where I lived) have little knowledge of the city beyond downtown.

DC83: it's been a while, good to see you're still in the Hammer.

Hey Flar! Yes, I was convinced by my brother to stay in Hamilton. He gave me an offer I couldn’t refuse.

I'm really enjoying your Ottawa & Area phototours, recently! I LOVED your Montreal tour. I went to Uni there (UDM), not too far from the top of Mont Royal Park where you got a couple shots.

I really like LI Mike’s ‘comments’ idea, so I decided to ‘borrow’ it! Here are my comments:

#7 Stinson Neighbourhood
I went High School in the area despite living in the suburbs. You can see my HS’s original Bldg – Cathedral Boys -- near the top left’ish, just right of Main St (the large street cutting through) Grey-brown gothic’esq structure.
*Flar, how come you’ve never posted photos of the NEW Cathedral on Wentworth, just N/ King? That’s where I attended HS.

#13 Locke Street
Was just here the other day, and I’m very sad to report it’s even more Yuppified than ever
Antique Shops being converted into yuppy Educational Toy Stores(!?) Bars into Chocolatiers and of course STARBUCKS! Locke St was becoming Hamilton’s Gay Village until the Yuppies discovered it!

#23 Beasley Park
That old warehouse/homeless shelter NEEDS to be converted into Lofts! Huge, open windows overlooking a nice urban Park (well… it could be nice)… HELLO!?

#48 OH NO! Toronto is sinking!!!

#69 Glowing Stelco
This is a site us Hamiltonians haven’t seen in a while, thanks to US Steel shutting down our mill. I miss seeing the ‘Hamilton Torch’ while sitting in Ivor Wynn watching the Ti-Cats beat the Argos with their own receiver (Arland Bruce III) ;)

#78 Olympia Tower
My old Bldg @ Christmas time!

#92 Red Brick Beasley Warehouse
The ‘front’ of that Warehouse that looks over Photo#23.

#93 Hess Village
Also a great urban setting ruined by Yuppies! Used to be pubs and restos for everyone… Now it’s posh clubs and snobs! Dress Codes everywhere, and beer? “Get yo’ ass to Augusta! We serve COSMOS here!â€

#96 Waterfront View
Can’t wait for these views come October! VERY excited to move into my new North-End --or the ‘West Harbour’ as the Torontonians like to call it-- House! I’m literally a 3 min walk from this exact spot!

#100 Queen’s Park!?
It’s amazing how much McMaster looks like UofT in this shot… or maybe even Queens Park (same thing).

#107 Tri-Towers
I see this shot used EVERYwhere, including the City’s Film Liason Office’s ‘Film Hamilton’ booklet… funny thing is, yours is the best!

#108 King & Wentworth
You were oh-so-close to Cathedral here! I especially love the hooker at the corner! This is what I dealt with on a day-to-day basis going to High School down there, but I LOVED it!

#110 Wow!
Probably the best shot of Hamilton EVER!

#132 Last Pic
Ummm, is this me!? I’ve seen you post this in several threads, Flar.
If this was taken under either the John /James/Catharine St bridge; then chances are it’s me. One of my favourite shots of yours, regardless, Flar!

Back