8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Johnny Crash

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm sure we're all familiar with the cliche of the haunted house, often seen in cartoons when the main characters have inherited a haunted house conditional on their spending one night in it, and which often sits atop a narrow and jagged hill.

Are there any places in Toronto that remind you of this? Or any other houses that look as if they may be haunted?

That's also where Glen Stewart park is, right?

(I've never been in this area before, I just looked it up on Mapquest).

No "house," nor any specific reports of "haunting," but this is something I came across recently which I thought might be of vague interest to some here.

Excerpt from an article in The Globe (Toronto), Nov. 21, 1868, p. 1, c. 8-9; as transcribed by Pleasance Crawford:

PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH-YARD.

But, besides St. James’ and St. Paul’s, there were in olden times two other burying places in Toronto. One of them was exclusively for the use of Presbyterians. It was situated in Duchess-street, and occupies the space between that and Britain street. It was granted by Government, about 50 years ago, to the first Presbyterian church in Toronto, which was presided over by the venerable Mr. Harris; and a romantic little nook it is. About a dozen moss-grown stones are scattered over it; a solitary cow crops the grass which covers the still visible mounds, and altogether it has more the appearance of an old country church-yard than anything in the city. And yet the work of resurrection has been busily carried on in it also. During the last twenty years, no bodies have been interred here; but many have been dug up, and conveyed to other cemeteries. The map of the place has somehow got all into confusion, so much so that many parties desirous of removing the remains of their relations cannot, since they know not where they lie. But worse than all, if some of the old residenters [sic] are to be credited, when Britain street was being built, numerous coffins were ruthlessly dug up and their contents scattered, and some of the bodies were even so little decayed that the hair remained on their heads. If true it was a piece of human vandalism, and it would seem as if the consequences attached to Britain street still, for a very little Britain it is, and scarcely anybody seems to live in it. At the time of the disruption in Scotland, which showed its effects here, the property passed into the possession of Knox’s Church and remains in their hands still. What may be the ultimate doom of this little landmark in our history we cannot tell. Probably in a few years, it will be built over and the old Presbyterian burying ground will be amongst the things that were.

Attachments

• 1858b2.jpg
    1858b2.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 272
  • 1858b.jpg
    1858b.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 277
A lot of older houses were deemed haunted back when their occupants - the witnesses to these "paranormal" activities - were suffering from low grade, prolonged carbon monoxide poisoning. In short, there's no such thing as a haunted house, regardless of what the amateur, doo-hickey toting "scientists" might have you believe.

Just for the record, I don't believe in ghosts. I've been told two "real" ghost stories in recent memory; one involving a house in Cabbagetown and one involving a business in Scarborough. The former, I chalk up to sleepwalking; the latter, to playful security personnel.

But I thought, hey, it's Halloween... ;)

Just in time for Halloween again. Now Toronto with their Top 10 spookiest places in the city, with a nice collection of photos to go along with it as well:

Spacing.ca with a piece on the former Christie Mansion at Wellesley & Queen's Park which is reportedly also haunted. It is now the Jesuits' Regis College:

Back