News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

ganjavih

Member Bio
Reaction score
Historic subway cars vandalized

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/292821

d988e3b44e018ce45c22146e9e4c.jpeg

Vintage Toronto subway cars were spraypainted by vandals at the Ontario Electric Railway Historical Association museum in Milton.

Jan 10, 2008 11:35 AM
Curtis Rush
STAFF REPORTER

Halton police are investigating after two historic Toronto subway cars were vandalized at a railway museum in Milton.

The cars were on display outside the Halton County Radial Railway Museum on Guelph Line, about 60 kilometres northwest of Toronto, when they were defaced.

"This is extremely frustrating and disheartening for the museum," said Jim Borland, president of the Ontario Electric Railway Historical Association, which owns and operates the museum, in a statement.

"Not only are these cars important in transportation history, but also central artifacts in our collection."

The cars were used when the Toronto subway was opened in 1954. They were retired in 1990, and donated to the museum in 1991.

The Ontario Electric Railway Historical Association, which celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2004, said it needs a new display barn to protect the many cars sitting outside from the weather and vandalism.

Along with its railway car collection, the museum offers visitors streetcar rides, tours and access to its railway station.

The museum is open to the public from May to October and attracts about 15,000 visitors a year.

What is the penalty in Egypt for defacing antiquities? Could those laws be used here?

Wow. I can't picture this being the handiwork of Rockwood locals. That really seems like a long way to go out of your way in order to graffiti some subway cars.

I would bet that whoever did this has a very esoteric interest in the New York City graffiti scene of the late 1970s/early 1980s romanticized in PBS documentaries such as Henry Chalfant's "Style Wars" (1982).

The bubble and arrow style of the letters and their placement across the bottom of a transit vehicle seems like a throwback to the NY graffiti culture from back then.

I'm no detective, but I am a transit fan, I have an interest in subculture art documentaries and I follow early 80s New York hip hop culture. I would imagine that there are not many people who could be possible suspects, and judging by the level of work, I would say they were planning to do this for a long time and worked as a group.

bastards. i hope this isn't one of those stunts that will be called "art" if the people who did this ever get caught.

fiendish:

In an ideal world, if they were caught...

Waste of bullets. I am sure the third rail makes for a much cleaner solution.

Beyond that, maybe we can get some budding, 3rd rate tattoo artist to mark their skin for the sake of "art", without their permission of course. Preferably on their private parts.

AoD

that last photo from the archives is amazing.

I would bet that whoever did this has a very esoteric interest in the New York City graffiti scene of the late 1970s/early 1980s romanticized in PBS documentaries such as Henry Chalfant's "Style Wars" (1982).

I thought the graffitti gave it a "Redbird" look myself as well. It can't just be the work of bored Rockwood or Acton youth. I hope they're nabbed. They've better pray that the police get to them before Fiendish does (good to see you back, BTW)

I also see Tom Twit-Molecey is no longer the contact person at the HCRY. Perhaps 2008 will be the year I pay another visit.

Beyond that, maybe we can get some budding, 3rd rate tattoo artist to mark their skin for the sake of "art", without their permission of course. Preferably on their private parts.

How about on the forehead? Then the whole world can see.

what a bunch of assholes. i have an idea with what they can do with the paint cans when they catch the guys. they should also be forced to clean all the subway rail & streetcar rails in toronto with their tongues - every square inch.

Back