News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I always found job boards to be entirely useless. Hundreds, if not thousands of resumes sent, each of them individually tailored to meet the demands of the job, with absolutely zero response. I would not bother with this and try to do the networking bit as much as possible
I disagree. My current employer, now of five years, found me on Workopolis. I wasn't even in the same industry. My profile simply said I had marketing and sales expertise in the food/agricultural sector, and now I work for a Fortune 200 firm in a marketing role I absolutely love, with opportunities to travel and one-day relocate globally, defined benefit pension, low MER TSFA with employer contribution, good benefits, and for the private sector good job security. I get to build products and then see them on sale on Canadian retailer shelves.

My very first job out of school (Poly Sci BA (Hons), plus one year Int'l Trade diploma from GBC) was found in the Toronto Star classified ads in 1996. I stayed there for four years as their export sales and marketing manager, travelling around the world selling food products. It was a great job, and fantastic stepping stone to new and good opportunities and positions.

My next job was found on Workopolis, where a recruiter found me and got me an offer in Fredericton, NB as a export sales guy in the food biz. I had the fortune of travelling to Europe, Israel, China, throughout New England and east coast USA to sell and market their products.

So, I'd say never disregard the job boards. If you're not getting call backs, maybe it's not them (i.e. employers), but you that needs to work on your profile and offering.

I always found job boards to be entirely useless. Hundreds, if not thousands of resumes sent, each of them individually tailored to meet the demands of the job, with absolutely zero response. I would not bother with this and try to do the networking bit as much as possible

If I could add, I don't believe the job boards are entirely useless. For a recent grad or for someone without a lot of experience, yes, I find the job boards are a shot in the dark. Without specific experience requirements, precise knowledge of a certain operation, or a track record of successful project management, it's difficult for employers to distinguish between one candidate to another. If you have 5+ years experience in a specific industry or field, you'll find the job boards much easier as far as identifying positions where you're an obvious candidate match.

I just graduated from the University of Toronto studying English, History and Art History.
Eight years too late, but this article about an art history student discovering a famous artist's painting were copies of others' work sounds the beginning of a good career in auction houses and risk management.

Definitely get on LinkedIn. For one thing, recruiter algos comb it for their searches. For another, you’ll probably find you know a lot of people there already and you can develop a network for further connections and advice. A lot of jobs are posted there as well.

Back