8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
September 25/26th is scheduled for the debut of the HSBC Canada Sevens at Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton, AB.

Immediately following the Vancouver event, the competing national 7s teams will head Northeast for a second consecutive weekend of action in Canada! Alberta is in Stage 3 of their Open for Summer Plan, allowing for a planned stadium set-up that will accommodate just over 31,000 fans per day at Commonwealth Stadium. Ticket on-sale is scheduled for July 22nd and further information and pricing will be released next week.

Oh boy these could be marathons...
Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 9.15.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 9.15.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 9.15.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 9.15.40 PM.png

Unsure of the attendance (8-10k maybe) but it was the most fun I've had in a crowd at an event in a very long time. Rugby fans are fantastic!

Two days of entertainment for $99 was incredible value.

Unsure of the attendance (8-10k maybe) but it was the most fun I've had in a crowd at an event in a very long time. Rugby fans are fantastic!

Two days of entertainment for $99 was incredible value.
it might have been incredible value for those who were there but...

it's always interesting to read what was forecast vs what actually happens:

"It’s yet another outstanding opportunity to showcase the city, but unlike the NHL’s Hub City bubble Stanley Cup playoffs and IIHF world juniors and the coming World Triathlon Championships in August with no fans. But the Rugby Sevens event is expected to fill a significant percentage of the 56,302 seats in Commonwealth Stadium.

"The ultra-aggressive approach currently being taken by Edmonton Events, the strategic partnership between the City of Edmonton and Explore Edmonton, is producing results."

"The total attendance for the two-day Vancouver event involving two separate draw sessions per day has been, in order, 72,000, 76,116, 77,096, 73,819 and 74,560.

"That works out to a paid admission average of just under 20,000 per draw segment."

if 8 - 10,000 coming and going over the course of the day (are those discrete attendees or 2 - 2,500 coming and going per draw segment with how many of those being comped and not paid) is the result after edmonton events, the city of edmonton and explore edmonton took "an ultra-aggressive approach, perhaps we should give up purchasing and promoting one-off events and finding better places to invest that money.

Given what the Elks are drawing I felt this was reasonable given COVID19 protocols and the sport but yes, it would be interesting to see the ROI on this. We did receive some very good Global exposure and it a decent amount of people were clearly from out of town. We met people from Calgary, Victoria, Vancouver, Fort Mac, Saskatoon who came in specifically for the event. I'd be curious to know hotel room impact.

Back