I'm sure HB could negotiate quite an increase in coverage for their site should they choose to say add a tower or two. sitting atop such a
massive subway station - what an opportunity!

hbco2020.jpg

I've never quite understood the layout of this complex. The mall below ceilings are so low, it doesn't have much or any architectural attributes, the circulation throughout is painful, the exterior of the building is just plain awful and awfully plain, the food court is dreadful etc. However I do like that it's right on the subway line(s) and the potential is enormous! I can't wait for this to be redeveloped and the sooner the better. There you go... my two bits. Cheers.

One of the bigger issues would be where they could place support columns for a new tower.

Maybe they could add to the office tower like Pinnacle is doing at the Toronto Star building,
but they'd need adjacent sites.

Looks like 15 Asquith Ave. is some sort of Bell facility - one that probably can't be relocated.
Is a condo still planned for the corner of Asquith and Yonge?

Does anyone think one day Brookfield would probably put up a supertall etc on this property? Seeing that this is becoming like Toronto's millionaire row, now that there could passably be two already !

Does anyone think one day Brookfield would probably put up a supertall etc on this property? Seeing that this is becoming like Toronto's millionaire row, now that there could passably be two already !

Not a chance. You would need to dig deep to support such a structure and with the subway there it is just not possible.

You can't put an 80-100 story building on little to no foundations and hope it survives. I'm not an engineer but I'd guess that it wouldn't have much support without digging down at least a few stories.

Don't really care; Quality of design is far more important.

That said, you can be sure they are looking maximizing their overall opportunity here.

Not a chance. You would need to dig deep to support such a structure and with the subway there it is just not possible.

You can't put an 80-100 story building on little to no foundations and hope it survives. I'm not an engineer but I'd guess that it wouldn't have much support without digging down at least a few stories.

There is currently a 35-storey office tower, a bruting hulk of one, with a huge floor plate sitting right on top of the structure now.

The foundations for which surround and envelop the subway structure.

The subway here is not a limiting factor.

That is not to suggest we are getting a super tall.

That is to suggest if we do not, it will not be because of an engineering limitation related to the subway.

The subway does pose some limitations; but not really on height.

What may cause more issues is ground-water, though this can still be worked around......but is a known issue at this location.

Last edited:
Also keep in mind the 25 metre tower separation rule, and the site isn't that deep (it only reaches halfway into the block - 15 Asquith is on the other side)

AoD

Key here is simply that we don't know what Brookfield is proposing to remove.

That dictates what is plausible to a great degree.

Back