Brief mention about the Hudson's Bay Centre, although mainly just generic speculation:

Toronto 44 Bloor Street East: The future of the 340,000 square foot Hudson’s Bay store at the corner of Yonge and Bloor Streets in downtown Toronto is uncertain amid whispers of a redevelopment of the site. An investment surpassing a billion dollars will see upgrades to the subway interchange at the intersection (and below the store) and rumours include a partial demolition of the block including an office tower that could be replaced with a much taller building. Few details are available publicly at this time for the redevelopment of Brookfield-owned Hudson’s Bay Centre.

Brief mention about the Hudson's Bay Centre, although mainly just generic speculation:

It's no secret that Brookfield and the City are in discussions about a large scale redevelopment here. What is not known, of course, are the details; and whether the numbers will crunch the right way.

The question is whether they'll gut and re-configure the entire corner (tower, podium, and subway station) or take the whole thing down and start over. It would all have to happen while keeping both lines running so it's going to be hugely complicated and expensive which ever route they go.

Due to that, maybe it makes more sense to start over. Bloor/Yonge station's platforms got widened but the rest of the station is too small and cramped for the demands being placed on it.

The question is whether they'll gut and re-configure the entire corner (tower, podium, and subway station) or take the whole thing down and start over. It would all have to happen while keeping both lines running so it's going to be hugely complicated and expensive which ever route they go.

Due to that, maybe it makes more sense to start over. Bloor/Yonge station's platforms got widened but the rest of the station is too small and cramped for the demands being placed on it.

The current plans for Y+B will see a substantial increase in circulation space/routes - though the TTC also seem to suggest the existing footprint of the tower is unchanged (not that there is any reason for changes to show up in their materials).

The other interesting thing to note is that the TTC plans that have been made public does not show the changes - if any - to the mezzanine. Guess that is part of the bigger Brookfield project.

AoD

Last edited:
With the redevelopment of the Hotel being (almost mercifully) close to being finished, has there been any discussion around what happens to the tenants in the resident building attached to the hotel? I would imagine that if the City (and developers) were looking at a reset of the complex, the residential component would be included. To date, as a resident of this building, and by extension Larco, I have heard nothing.

I don't relish losing access to Bloor St for a long stretch as we don't have balconies and Asquith is sketchy at the best of times.

With the redevelopment of the Hotel being (almost mercifully) close to being finished, has there been any discussion around what happens to the tenants in the resident building attached to the hotel? I would imagine that if the City (and developers) were looking at a reset of the complex, the residential component would be included. To date, as a resident of this building, and by extension Larco, I have heard nothing.

I don't relish losing access to Bloor St for a long stretch as we don't have balconies and Asquith is sketchy at the best of times.

While Larco will naturally be impacted by the station project itself; and anything done on neighbouring portions of the site; I am not aware of their being involved in any discussions w/the City on this.

That does not mean it is not happening. But where there is (some) visibility w/Brookfield, Larco simply isn't on visible radar to me, at the moment.

The possibility of a major redevelopment came up both because the City is the owner of a portion of the Brookfield site (w/the latter being lessee) and because of the extent of disruption to the Brookfield property that will be required during work on the Station.

I'm not clear that impact is as large on the Larco portion of the site.

Personally, I would like to see the entire block planned holistically, including the Bell building on Asquith; and the currently proposed condo site at Asquith and Yonge.

But I'm not sure that is at all realistic.

I should add, I still find the property division here a bit confusing, and I have the diagrams!

Last edited:
The top left part of the B is gone now.
A4A60238-AF82-463D-8547-10B7F215369D.jpeg

Looking here there isn't a lot of space available in the tower:

I thought hudson bay had relocated it's HQ ages ago, so I wonder why the sign stayed, or may it's for the retail element

HBC's HQ is in the tower at Bay and Queen (401 Bay).

Their secondary office is way out at 8925 Torbram.

1623190517527.png

The Tower at Yonge/Bloor has 4 empty floors out of 35.

They are (last I saw) still actively seeking tenants.

It was fully reno'ed last in 2001 but got new windows more recently.

The Torbram and Queen office and warehouse were purchased by HBC when it purchased Kmart Canada (it was Kmart's HQ) and converted most of that chain's stores to Zellers. That in 1997-1998.

Back