News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

So the elevators will be in some sort of common space shared by the two stores? Is that legal?

I'm not sure that the elevators will be in a common space. They are towards the west end of the building and are likely to be part of the Hudson's Bay store. I speculated that Saks might get its own elevator(s) towards the east end, but I'm guessing not.

Remember, this isn't really two stores. It's two banners, same owner - people will have easy access from one end of the building to the other. The recent set of accessibility amendments to the Ontario Building Code require that there be elevator access to all floors in a building, but I don't know that they require that each tenant/space have separate elevators as long as people using any part of a floor have access to the building's elevators (which, from the descriptions of the Saks/Hudson's Bay build out, sounds like it will be the case). I'm no Building Code expert, though, and I also have no idea to what extent the Hudson's Bay building would be grandfathered (if at all). I don't know if the Building Code even contemplates a situation where a building's footprint is effectively an entire large city block, and the elevators are towards one end of that block. It's an interesting question you've asked.

Last edited:
Did anyone read this today? I certainly wasn't expecting such good results this quarter. I guess the Saks acquisition is paying off.

http://business.financialpost.com/i...-net-profit-four-times-higher-than-a-year-ago

Hudson’s Bay’s Saks luxury play pays off again: Net profit four times higher than a year ago

Hollie Shaw | April 7, 2015 | Last Updated: Apr 7 8:42 AM ET

Sales were up about 9%, rising to $2.632 billion from $2.407 billion.

TORONTO — Profit at Hudson’s Bay Co. rose strongly in the fourth quarter as the retailer benefited from the successful integration of U.S. luxury chain Saks Fifth Avenue.

The Toronto-based department store operator posted net profit from continuing operations of $111-million, or 61¢ per share, in the fourth quarter ended Jan. 31 compared with $37-million, or 21¢ per share, in the same period a year ago.

Sales climbed 9.3% to $2.63-billion. Same-store sales, an important retailing bellwether, rose 3.2% overall at its chains, with a climb of 2.3% at The Bay and Lord & Taylor, 2.6% at Saks, and a strong 12.1% at the discount banner Saks Off Fifth.

“We are pleased with our fourth quarter and full year operating and financial results,†said Richard Baker, HBC’s executive chairman.

“It was a strong conclusion to a successful year for our company. Sales growth, further progress with the Saks integration and continued strength at HBC Digital has us well-positioned to deliver on our fiscal 2015 strategic priorities and initiatives.â€

Digital commerce sales rose to $304-million in the fourth quarter, marking a robust year-over-year increase of 35.1% as the company aggressively expanded its digital retail presence.

I'm still not sure about the 5th floor men's dept. The trek alone has deterred me from going up there to shop. I actually enjoyed the ease of having men's located on the second floor. I wonder if they'd built some sort of express elevator/escalator. Or even better signage.

Past few visits the 5th floor appeared to be quiet.

I don’t disagree that having menswear on the second floor was more convenient. But, let’s face it, the big money makers are women’s wear, accessories, shoes and cosmetics – hence, their prominent placement on the first and second (and third) floors.

I don’t disagree that having menswear on the second floor was more convenient. But, let’s face it, the big money makers are women’s wear, accessories, shoes and cosmetics – hence, their prominent placement on the first and second (and third) floors.

I agree; however, at the same time, women WILL go up 5 floors to a women's dept. Men (gay or straight) on the other hand will begrudgingly go or not at all. If the men's dept was on the second floor with women's 3 and up it would've been better. But, hey, who knows how things will go when Sak's moves in. Could very well be a game-changer.

I agree; however, at the same time, women WILL go up 5 floors to a women's dept. Men (gay or straight) on the other hand will begrudgingly go or not at all. If the men's dept was on the second floor with women's 3 and up it would've been better. But, hey, who knows how things will go when Sak's moves in. Could very well be a game-changer.

I'd have agreed with you before they made the move, but every time I go up to 5, there are tons of guys there shopping happily.

It is pretty nice on the fifth floor and maybe nice enough that once guys go up once they won't mind the extra travel to get to it.

5th floor? Who comes up with these ideas? I don't like clothes shopping. It should be as quick and easy as possible. I've also found the Bay to be understaffed. Any clothing store should always have plenty of people around to find a size you can't locate or to open a fitting room if the store locks its fitting rooms (like the Bay). But at the Bay, that isn't always the case.

It strikes me as odd that at Nordstrom or Saks, a commissioned salesperson will walk around the store with you and suggest styles and find your size--an experience you can get at any ordinary corporate store like Banana Republic or Express--while at the Bay, it can be hard to find anyone to help you. Customer service shouldn't be a luxury.

The 6th floor menswear department in Vancouver is busy as well.

WRT customer service, there seems to be more staff nowadays than there used to be.

The locked changerooms are annoying, but not as annoying as Harry Rosen (Vancouver) or other stores where there are no mirrors in the changerooms, so you have to emerge to the public realm in ill-fitting clothes just to see if they are, in fact, ill-fitting clothes.

WRT being doted on by a commissioned salesperson, I don't like the pressure to buy.

I like a salesperson to be available to find sizes for me when something isn't on the rack, however, I don't like them doting on me either.

I agree; however, at the same time, women WILL go up 5 floors to a women's dept. Men (gay or straight) on the other hand will begrudgingly go or not at all. If the men's dept was on the second floor with women's 3 and up it would've been better.

It's not like they're making you climb up a rope. It's a few extra floors on an escalator! How is it that big a deal? Welcome to a big vertical city.

Back