8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Observer Walt

Member Bio
Reaction score
It looks like Humber College may have plans to expand their operation on Lake Shore Blvd. in south Etobicoke. Land Registry records are showing that they have purchased 3166 and 3170 Lake Shore Blvd. West, within the past two months.

3166 is a crummy older building on the northwest corner of Kipling Avenue. It has been occupied by a number of pubs and restaurants over the years, none of them successful for some reason. 3170 is immediately adjacent to it on the west. It is occupied by a three-storey medical building with retail on the ground level. It's maybe 20 years old. Together these two properties extend along the whole block from Kipling Avenue to 19th Street. The existing Humber campus is across the street.

Isn't the "crummy older building" deemed of heritage interest? I wouldn't be surprised if it's maintained and restored as a "gateway element".

Interesting, too, that its most recent, rather mysterious, incarnation was as "Club Hers"...a swingers' operation.

Isn't the "crummy older building" deemed of heritage interest? I wouldn't be surprised if it's maintained and restored as a "gateway element".

Interesting, too, that its most recent, rather mysterious, incarnation was as "Club Hers"...a swingers' operation.

It is indeed.

I hope there are NO plans to demolish it, because underneath it all exists this:

image002.jpg

http://www.newtorontohistorical.com/Almont Hotel.htm

Building today:

image005.jpg

Wow Jarrek, thanks for the historic photo, I didn't know the building went back that far. Makes its recent history that much more pitiful.

It will be interesting to see what Humber College intends to do with the property. In its present configuration, I can't believe it would be of that much use to the college, but perhaps they'll surprise me with some good adaptive use.

I'd adapt it with a bulldozer. Its present state doesn't merit the use of more delicate conservation methods.

I'd adapt it with a bulldozer. Its present state doesn't merit the use of more delicate conservation methods.

Much of the original building is intact, and the way that Humber College restored the Lakeshore Psychiatric Hospital buildings then this one should be a nice focal point for the intersection. I'd sooner demolish the buildings across the street on the north-east corner, than this one.

In fact, it was already "restored" after years of abandonment about 25 years ago--though not with the utmost sensitivity; and with one bomb tenant after another. Indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if Club Hers was the most *successful* use of the building in recent years...

Humber College does not seem to be finished on Lake Shore Boulevard. They have just acquired the property at 3180 Lake Shore Blvd West, which occupies the block just west of the previous purchases, extending from 19th Street to 20th Street. It's occupied by a one-storey plaza, with about 9 or 10 smallish occupants and parking at the front. Meanwhile, hoarding has gone up around the historic building mentioned previously, at the corner of Kipling. It looks to me like they are planning to renovate as opposed to demolish.

I still don't know what the plan is here, but they now have the streetfront along two full blocks on the north side of the street.

Before they start expanding, they need to get the other ex-asylum buildings occupied. Most of the southern half of the east campus is still empty. Not to mention some of the empty space on the west end of campus.

http://www.insidetoronto.com/news/l...e-outlines-futures-plans-for-lakeshore-campus

Humber College outlines futures plans for Lakeshore Campus

CYNTHIA REASON |Nov 18, 2011 - 8:57 AM

Humber College officials met with their Lakeshore Campus neighbours this week to discuss long-term revitalization plans to accommodate their ever-growing student population - including the construction of a Welcome Centre and a new 150,000-sq. ft. building.

Of Humber's current slate of 25,000 full-time students, 7,000 are currently attending the Lakeshore Campus and those numbers are only expected to increase in the years to come, said Humber president John Davies.

Davies estimated the student population at the Lakeshore Campus will eventually cap out at 10,000 - a 3,000-pupil increase from their current numbers - because "there isn't really any space in this area for much more than that."

"We are absolutely aware that we have a certain amount of land to work with and that we have a community that we have to be a part of," he added.

1. Post-2014, Humber plans to build a 150,000 sq. ft. building along the south end of Twenty-Third Street, developing the building so there's a two-storey street edge, stepping back to an additional three storeys. Also proposed is a multi-decked parking garage on the site, increasing parking from 650 to 1,500 parking spaces. The parking deck and new building would be accessed from Lake Shore Boulevard West at Twentieth Street.

2. Proposed plans for a Welcome Centre along Colonel Samuel Smith Park Drive (on the northwest corner at Lake Shore Boulevard West) are still "very conceptual" at this point, Valens said, but also very necessary. The plan is to develop the centre with short-term underground parking, which would allow visitors "to arrive, find out what the campus is all about, and basically find out where they need to go," Valens said, noting that the facility would also eventually house registration, test centres and counselling.

Back