8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Towered

Member Bio
Reaction score
Today: Didn't even know about this new main building being constructed. Oh and the historic building at Kipling and Lakeshore houses Humber's fashion department. Hopefully at some point they'll restore the exterior.

Attachments

• IMG_1119.jpg
    IMG_1119.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 662
  • IMG_1120.jpg
    IMG_1120.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 694
  • IMG_1121.jpg
    IMG_1121.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 618
Here's what Jasonzed is shooting, getting closer and closer. The multi-purpose building is designed by HOK Architects. It will include classrooms, labs, faculty offices, student project space, learning commons and a new media communications centre.

HumberLkOverall.jpg

HumberLkBuilding.jpg

HumberLkCloseUp.jpg

HumberLkAtrium.jpg

It's a pity the entire HC campuses weren't just built here--bonus for the economy of the area and the community feel of the college.

Perhaps this site is for student residences with retail-related stuff at the ground level and parking below?

Re: the new addition going up. Had I been the lead architect, I'd have created a negative space--a walkway--mimicking the shed-like building in the centre-front cutting through the middle of the new addition. I'd have used red brick and also feature stylized pitched roofs to match the older structures. I'd break up the mass of the site into three shapes, with narrow bricked alleys between them to ensure older buildings would easily be viewed from within the addition and keeping the historic scheme of the site intact. I do think perhaps I'd cantilever the buildings over the driveway for the Canadian reality of cold weather and to maximize the size of the plot.

Would I make a fantastic architect or just another dreamer?

Last edited:
It's a pity the entire HC campuses weren't just built here--bonus for the economy of the area and the community feel of the college.

Perhaps this site is for student residences with retail-related stuff at the ground level and parking below?

Re: the new addition going up. Had I been the lead architect, I'd have created a negative space--a walkway--mimicking the shed-like building in the centre-front cutting through the middle of the new addition. I'd have used red brick and also feature stylized pitched roofs to match the older structures. I'd break up the mass of the site into three shapes, with narrow bricked alleys between them to ensure older buildings would easily be viewed from within the addition and keeping the historic scheme of the site intact. I do think perhaps I'd cantilever the buildings over the driveway for the Canadian reality of cold weather and to maximize the size of the plot.

Would I make a fantastic architect or just another dreamer?

That could work, though this building looks like a major step up from Humber College's previous efforts. Many of their modern buildings are among the blandest institutional architecture in the city. The new building seen above is a huge improvement. Here's a taste of their efforts so far. There's a building fronting Lake Shore, but the arrangement of the contrasting sections of cladding seems so dry and dull. The way it meets the street--one with a streetcar line--is rather uninspiring. They should front the street with some student-oriented businesses and make the campus attractive. But instead there's some cheap lawn. The restoration and reuse of the asylum deserves credit, and the traditional red brick paths look good. However, the modern buildings leave a lot to be desired in terms of design and urban form, so this newest building is an exception that offers hope.

Last edited:

Though in the whole Peter-vs-Paul thing, that'd mean disenfranchising N Etobicoke, which may need even more of a bonus-to-the-economy (and I'm not talking about Woodbine Live!)

^ But the south campus is the one with any real urban potential. Screw Rexdale - you'd need to raze it to fix it at this point.

Back