News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Redroom Studios

Member Bio
Reaction score
Want a new urban model? Go west

Vancouver's approach to city-building is now a global export. We've distilled five lessons Toronto could learn from the left coast

The Star
Jun 14, 2008 04:30 AM
Christopher Hume
Urban Affairs Columnist

VANCOUVER–Even in this city of condos, The Beasley stands out. Not because of its height (33 storeys), the number of units (271) or its location (Yaletown). What makes it impossible to ignore is its name – The Beasley.

In this city, that can mean only one thing, Larry Beasley.

On the off chance you haven't heard of Beasley, he is Vancouver's former chief planner and creator of the famous "Vancouver model," which for all its flaws, now defines this city.

The point is that in a world obsessed with starchitects and celebrity designers, Vancouver is one of few cities to have grasped that the important issue isn't architecture, but planning. It's not so much buildings as the space between them that differentiates one city from another, that makes one city attractive, another unappealing.

In what other city would a condo be named for a planner? Certainly not in Toronto, where planning is conspicuous largely by its absence. It's easy for Torontonians to be unaware that planning can and should play a major role, that it can provide the logic, rationale and vision of a city and its future. Done properly, planning liberates architecture; done poorly, it traps design in a prison of contextual isolation and mediocrity.

Just look around.

Confronted with the Vancouver model, critics find much to carp about. And it's true the city remains a work in progress; but to wander the streets of Yaletown and Coal Harbour is to see, clearly and incontrovertibly, evidence of a city with rules, a city that knows where it's headed.

Little wonder, then, that "Vancouverism," as it's now called, is being copied around the globe. Beasley has even been hired by Abu Dhabi to create an urban plan for that fast-growing, oil-rich, green-wannabe emirate.

In Toronto, by contrast, it's every man for himself. This remains a place where developers and their hired guns routinely run roughshod over planning regulations. Aided and abetted by the Ontario Municipal Board, which has no equivalent in British Columbia, they are free to ignore the city and carry on regardless. The results can be seen at every turn; thus Toronto has become a place where things rarely add up. It is less than the sum of its parts.

Interesting, too, that Toronto has politicized the development process to the point where the tastes and attitudes of individual councillors matter more than any number of planning reports. In other words, Toronto's planning regime is a recipe for disaster.

In this respect, Toronto has much to learn from Vancouver. From the fact that it elects councillors-at-large, to the existence of the Design Review Board and the Development Permit Board, Vancouver manages for the most part to minimize connections between developers and politicians. The latter set the rules, the former play by them.

But perhaps this is the tip of the iceberg, indicative of the fundamental differences between the two cities. With its spectacular landscape of mountains and ocean, Vancouver as an institution is deeply aware of its responsibility to preserve at least some of that natural splendour. Not to say that the suburbs around the city aren't as dreary and depressing as any in Southern Ontario, but in the downtown core, planning is strict. The city sees itself as something special, and pays close attention to what happens within its borders.

There's no better example than the story of the Wall Centre. The hotel/condo tower was approved on the understanding that it would be clad in clear glass. When the developer used dark glass instead, the city issued a stop work order and insisted the material be changed. Some city councillors wanted to force the builder, Peter Wall, to remove the cladding and start from scratch. That didn't happen and the result is a two-toned tower that switches from dark to light about half way up.

That would simply never happen in Toronto, where we're ever so grateful that someone, anyone, is willing to invest in the city. It is this mixture of inferiority and greed that leads to a system unwilling to make demands of the development industry.

More than anything, this is why Toronto has grown famous for the mediocrity of its architecture. Recently, we have adopted elements of the Vancouver model and created two design review panels, one for the waterfront and one for downtown. The former is an acknowledged failure; the latter has had more success.

Of course, such measures need time to effect change. We'll have to wait and see how things play out.

"We've had a depoliticized system for so long it works," says Gordon Price, former Vancouver city councillor and now director of the City Program at Simon Fraser University. "Everyone has a stake in it – developers, politicians and residents. It dates back to the 1970s, and now we're 15 or 20 years ahead of where we thought we'd be. We're at the point where we can start to Europeanize the downtown. The car is no longer the dominant form of transportation."

And as for the OMB, Price makes it clear he thinks it's utterly wrong. "The last thing you want," he argues, "is a body like the OMB that allows decision-makers not to take their roles seriously."

It may seem ironic that a city renowned for its laid-back lifestyle turns out to be so much more serious about development than Toronto, known for its devotion to the bottom line. Yet there you have it. Perhaps that's why Vancouver so often places close to the top of the World's Most Liveable Cities lists, and Toronto doesn't.

There's a difference between being smart and being rich. Indeed, in the hands of some, wealth becomes just an excuse for stupidity.

Is it OK to not like Vancouver?

From this side of the mountains, we keep getting told how fabulous the Vancouver planning/metro/parks/whatever are in comparison. Unfortunately, I just don't like the place. The downtown 'business' core is crap. The point towers are fine housing, but they all look exactly the bloody same. Walking down Granville is boring as crap, and the restaurants are fine but, beyond sushi, offer nothing of the variety of Toronto.

I'm off to Vancouver in about three weeks for business, but this time my wife is joining me and we'll do a few more 'touristy' things, so hopefully I'll see the things which make it a great city in so many peoples' eyes (I do love the relaxed vibe and UBC's campus, and the Park). But the whole 'Vancouver's planning has made architecture there supercalifragilisticexpealadocious' does nothing for me. The point towers are boring.

Where should I go to get that opinion shaken out of me?

Hume doesnt seem to debate that point. He seems to acknowledge that Toronto has more interesting individual buildings, but that in an unplanned urban context they dont add up to a coherent whole. I can go either way on this issue... there is something in Toronto's messy urbanism that makes for an interesting an unexpected mix, but it doesnt quite match up with a consistent built form like San Francisco (or apparently Vancouver which I have never been to) I think the city continues to look better through this latest building boom... gentrification on a grand scale.

I loved Hume's characterization of the OMB "aiding and abetting" the developers !

And as for the OMB, Price makes it clear he thinks it's utterly wrong. "The last thing you want," he argues, "is a body like the OMB that allows decision-makers not to take their roles seriously."

That's such an important point. We won't get reasonable process for approving developments as long as the councillors can pander to local opposition and leave the unpopular decisions to the to the OMB.

Well, at the end of the day...the proof is always in the pudding. And despite whatever anybody might say about planning boards, Toronto ends up better in every way you want to slice it.

When talking about Vancouver, it inevitably ends up being about mountains and ocean...and I'm quite sure they had nothing to do with any planning departments.

I'm probably the wrong person to comment on this because I remember the years I lived in Vancouver as possibly the worst in my life and can't stand the city's smugness, even on visits. Though I do agree that Vancouver has a coherence to its built environment that Toronto does not, and that their planning regime is far better than ours, I don't think the result is better architecture, just more coherence. Vancouver produces few truly outstanding buildings, and there is a great deal of repetition in the city. What in their Olympic building program is exceptional, for instance?

And furthermore ... I have yet to see Hume comment critically on anything that happened in any other city, I think ever. For me, his credibility is very low when he comments on cities outside Toronto, because I've seen some of the same stuff he has and leave it unimpressed.

But perhaps this is the tip of the iceberg, indicative of the fundamental differences between the two cities. With its spectacular landscape of mountains and ocean, Vancouver as an institution is deeply aware of its responsibility to preserve at least some of that natural splendour. Not to say that the suburbs around the city aren't as dreary and depressing as any in Southern Ontario, but in the downtown core, planning is strict. The city sees itself as something special, and pays close attention to what happens within its borders.

Yes, the building regulations are so strict that all the buildings tend to look alike. Beyond that, yeah, you can see the mountains and the two-tone Wall Centre.

Honestly, Hume sometimes works just a little too hard at wanting people to feel shit about this city.

The point towers are boring.

Well, they're overrated, and Cityplace proves the perils of taking an overrated model at face value.

That said, it's weird how everyone gesticulates over the last 20 years of Vancouver point tower development, without paying the slightest regard to the *first* 20 years of Vancouver point tower development, even though all those 50s60s70s shafts overlooking English Bay must have their own distinctive archi-urban-historical appeal by now...

Vancouver is mountains and oceans....little else....when I visited a friend out there (as I did quite often) I'll never forget the dinner we had with transplanted Ontarians....when my friend who is from there discussed how unimpressed she was with the city....the Ontarians said "Oh, don't you find Vancouver is a beautiful city? " She replied....Vancouver is beautiful not because of itself, but INSPITE of itself.

Maybe it's time for this model, "liveable" Pacific paradise to address the explosion of property crime and gang executions (usually includes innocent victims in the mix) that make it one of the most dangerous urban regions in North America (not per capita either).

Hopefully the city-ratings/quality of life bean-counters will continue to ignore this reality.... would hate to see to Vancouver drop a notch or two, sending local inhabitants into a downward spiral of tears and denials ... "there's no crime here... and it's sunny most of the time".

That was one of the three reasons why I chose to move to Toronto rather than Vancouver. Yes, it's very scenic, but the housing prices are ridiculous, the crime rate is horrendous, and let's not forget that the lower west coast is overdue for an M8+ earthquake -- one that size is inevitable, the only question is exactly when, and when it does happen, the damage will be enormous, due to the likely sheer size of the earthquake, magnified by the alluvial soil comprising much of the Fraser delta, which would lose all strength in an earthquake of the expected size.

edit -- Hey, an 83-word sentence!

so many of you seem to be overly defensive of Toronto. Why not admit that much of Toronto has evolved without any overarching vision as to what the city (downtown & waterfront especially) should look like and function. More recently things are looking up. There are big plans for the eastern harbour and portlands. We have some unique architecture in the ROM and AGO. Also the refurbishing of the central stretch of Bloor St sounds promising.

Again, I would repeat that Hume's point about the OMB is indeed valid. Essentially they are a rubber stamping, developer freindly board that takes power away from elected councillors, stifling any attempts at contextual planning.

Perhaps Vancouver isnt the best example since it is plagued with acres of condo towers of simiilar height and style. Again I would raise the example of San Francisco where the majority of the city is made up of 3 - 6 storey Victorian row houses mixed in with a significant number of mid rise apartments. It does not hurt me to admit that Toronto falls far short of that aesthetic... which was created by having a plan!

1423838536_665d74d384_o.jpg

p.s. - I love Toronto. (my comments are not anti-Toronto!)

^interesting that you post a pic of SF, which used to be one of my fav cities in the world... a town that is increasingly becoming soul-less as all the bohos/artists et al that made the town unique, are being priced out of the city.

SF is unfortunately becoming much like Vancover.... pretty postcard but generic (gene-rich) hollowing core. Weather sucks much of the time too (those in the know will agree). BTW, no black folks please.

Back