8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

ceaz40

Member Bio
Reaction score
Sorry guys....not computer savvy enough to figure out how to post the column from the Saturday Toronto Star. Hume had great things to say about Robert Watson Lofts and gave it an A+.

Remembering the place in its artist-studio days, I'd have to approach the A+ with a little lump in the throat and a "die yuppie scum" slogan in the pocket...

ceaz40 isn't yuppie scum, though - he's lovely and talented.

There used to be a framer there, used by several of the galleries, who did a nice job with my Matsubara woodblocks - acid-free mounts and all - in '98. Don't know where they moved to.

lol...thanks for the vote of confidence Urban Shocker.....you're lovely and talented as well!

Just "die yuppie scum" in principle; not directed against individuals. Just channeling the rabble-rousing left-anarchist pro-squatter in me...

I bought in the Robert Watson lofts way back in 2005. Waited 3 years for it to be converted (the old building) it was only supposed to take 18 months. I loved the look of the building and the raw timber beams and 14 foot ceilings were gorgeous as were the original brick walls. But the sound issues inside were ultimately unbearable. The walls were minimum code two sheets of dry wall, fiberglass and two sheets of drywall. You could lean on the walls between units and bend them. You could have kicked and punched your way into your neighbours apartment if you'd wanted to. And the sealing between the walls and the floor/ceiling was so poor that you could actually see light shining through from your neighbour's apartment at night with your lights out. The builder high-tailed it out of there as soon as it was done and it didn't qualify for Tarion as it was a conversion. No conceirge just a management company up in Concord ON that never returned your calls. Only lived their 1.5 years in the end. Couldn't wait to be out. It was a shame, I was sooooo looking forward to being in there and it was a very cool neighbourhood. Oh well. Live and learn.

Back