It would be impossible to provide the level of local service you have with King streetcar using subway. I'm not saying King shouldn't get a subway eventually, just that when it does get a subway we may still want to have the streetcar for local service. Especially if it means we can have a less ruinously expensive line with deep stations every 500m.

LRT is a waste of money in the suburbs. Start with BRT. Once a BRT becomes saturated, it makes sense to use elevated rail with wide stop spacing (close to regional rail). We aren't going to be able to use freight corridors to play the role of regional rail in the suburbs as they don't always exist to serve travel patterns (particularly circumferential ones like Hurontario).

Thankfully, Metrolinx is starting to come around to this idea, and hopefully Finch and Hurontario will be the last time we splash out on LRT through suburbia. Most new projects on the books are BRT.

There is even a glimmer of hope that they are starting to see elevated rail to act as quasi-regional rail too. OL is a hybrid: relief line/subway downtown, perhaps transitioning to elevated more-regional rail north of Eglinton, if it is expanded that way? Seems like an elevated, 2km stop spacing is quite possible for a future extension to Don Mills/Sheppard, with stops at Lawrence, York Mills and Sheppard.
I think there is definitely a place for suburban lrt I just don't think we are doing it right in the gtha.do what Alberta does, with lrts running in their own right of ways through areas where maybe bus service is congested, but heavy rail is too expensive. Having a few grade crossing in areas like this while not ideal, is not the end of the world and can save a lot of money. Kitchener is also an example of how to do it right I feel. Have lrts run along streets in the densest areas, and then put them in their own right of way to connect to farther out destinations. Outside of downtowns both the Alberta systems and ion only put tracks down the median of streets (outside of downtowns) where there are long distances between intersections to minimize the impact car traffic has on the trains. I think we have to get rid of this notion that all applications of lrt, or subways or whatever technology can be bad in a certain kind of built environenemt, and start actually looking on how it can be made to work, and even if it's not the best option service wise, to look at how the price tag might make that justifiable.

In my entire post, only a single sentence, 12 words, was devoted to addressing the strawman, and I only did so to point out that you were addressing a point no one was making. Nobody, and I mean ABSOLUTELY NOBODY was begging for a Kitchener Subway. The rest of my post was devoted to talking about where I personally feel LRTs make sense, and where they don't. There are 2* places where LRTs make sense, dense downtown cores where everything is so closely packed together that the slow speed isn't a big deal (unlike suburbs where LRT speeds are often detrimental to the usability of system), or if you're building short feeder routes to other major RT lines. This is why I'm in favour of routes like Finch West, Scarborough-Malvern*, and Waterfront West/Bayfront East. The only stipulation on this front are linear transfers. If you constantly have to change trains to reach your destination, then that's just bad network design. This is why LRT lines such as Sheppard East and Don Mills were so problematic. Let's say you live in Scarborough along Sheppard. If we forget about GO (just like Transit City did), to reach downtown Toronto you had to A) Change to the Scarborough LRT, then change to Danforth, then Change to Yonge (these are of course assuming you didn't have to take a bus to reach Sheppard btw), or B) Change to the Sheppard Subway, then change to the Yonge Line, or C) Change to the Don Mills LRT, then change to DRL which was only going to reach Pape under Transit City and nothing more. This is also why I placed an asterisk with Scarborough-Malvern because in a way it could be considered to be a linear transfer, but if we went with Rob Ford's Eglinton Line plan which was to extend the Scarborough RT west along Eglinton (although hopefully elevated and not tunneled), I think that concern is basically addressed.

Here is where LRT doesn't work: 1) Large crosstown lines. The Eglinton Line has to be one of the worst LRT plans ever devised. Do you know what Toronto needs rn? A rapid east west lines that crosses the city. Do you know what does a bad job fulfilling this need? A median LRT line that doesn't even have ATC. The same could be said about the Hurontario Line. People like LRTs in suburbs because people believe that the low price is representative of the investment that is needed for the transit needs of suburbs. HERE IS THE PROBLEM: Suburbs are large, and well, sprawling. Effective transport in suburbs requires first and foremost high speeds, because otherwise your little transit project becomes poor people transport meanwhile everyone sticks to their cars. This is further compounded by the Toronto's idea of having the LRT lines act as a replacement for the local bus services, leaving projects like Finch West oversaturated with stops. The last thing you want for suburban transit are speeds where by the time you reach the major RT corridor you're connecting to, you could've driven to downtown and back. Currently in the middle of the day, GMaps says that it'll take 35 minutes to drive from Humber College to Downtown Toronto. That's the amount of time that's planned to get from Humber to Finch West. This is pathetic. This is exactly the type of project you build if you're hell bent on making transit look like poor people transit for decades to come. I never thought I'd say this, but do you know what transit agency seems to know how to build suburban LRT/BRT? YRT. Ignoring greenbelt areas, the average distance between viva blue stops is a little over a kilometer. This is especially useful for people who need to commute to Toronto every morning since the low amount of stops bundled with having its own ROW with TSP* (Well, York Region's Traffic Priority system, not exactly TSP) means that its still useful as a commuting method and fairly quick (outside of downtown Richmond Hill). Those who need to use the bus for local services still have access to the 98 or 99 depending on which side of Bernard Terminal you are (although the frequencies on those are a problem, but where isn't it on YRT).

Going back to Hurontario, everything I have just said about what doesn't work about LRT applies here as well. You have a large crosstown line that's eventually going to run between two GO stations running through suburbs with relatively frequent stops, travelling long distances and overall is going to push more people to use the car since even with reduced lanes, cars will still be king without high speeds and absolute priority. This is ultimately going to also affect ridership because people don't like sitting on slow moving LRVs as a method to travel around town unless they have.

As a closer, I would like to bring attention to two west coast cities, Portland, and Vancouver, both of which have roughly the same population in the metro area. Portland has a massive LRT network that they have built up over the years that is almost 100km long, meanwhile Vancouver's system is only 80km and has far fewer stations. However if you look at ridership numbers, a completely different story is told. Vancouver has a daily ridership of 526,000 meanwhile Portland's much larger network only serves 121,000. The reason for this is extremely simple, the ability to run fast automated trains that aren't impeded by traffic, pedestrians, or traffic lights are a far more compelling method of traversal especially if you're coming in from suburbs which is the market that both of these systems attract. If you live in Vancouver, even if the Skytrain isn't faster than the car, its fast enough that even on an off peak journey, a wealthy car owner might still consider taking the Skytrain instead of the car if they want to save on gas and maybe get some work done on the way to downtown. The same doesn't happen in Portland because nobody wants to use Max unless they need to. This is why Vancouver canned the Surrey LRT plan, a plan that on average would've saved a single minute in travel time compared to the bus route it was replacing, in favour of a Skytrain extension to Langley. This is why Montreal canned their tram systems in favour of having the CDPQ pay for automated Light Metros (which is what I've been advocating for on this forum). Sure they might be pricier, but the ridership is significantly larger, and average travel times are significantly faster. For a slightly larger cost (and when I say slightly, I mean they're not even 2x more expensive than LRT), you get exponentially larger ridership and you end up improving travel times tenfold.
Quite the rant you got there.

I think there is definitely a place for suburban lrt I just don't think we are doing it right in the gtha.do what Alberta does, with lrts running in their own right of ways through areas where maybe bus service is congested, but heavy rail is too expensive. Having a few grade crossing in areas like this while not ideal, is not the end of the world and can save a lot of money. Kitchener is also an example of how to do it right I feel. Have lrts run along streets in the densest areas, and then put them in their own right of way to connect to farther out destinations. Outside of downtowns both the Alberta systems and ion only put tracks down the median of streets (outside of downtowns) where there are long distances between intersections to minimize the impact car traffic has on the trains. I think we have to get rid of this notion that all applications of lrt, or subways or whatever technology can be bad in a certain kind of built environenemt, and start actually looking on how it can be made to work, and even if it's not the best option service wise, to look at how the price tag might make that justifiable.
The thing is that, at least personally when I talk about LRT, I'm specifically talking about what we're building which are these tramways. While the C-Train and the O-Train are technically LRTs, they operate in such a different ways that I'm more inclined to call them regional rail and light metro respectively. The only part of the C-Train that fails to deliver in that regard is the downtown transit mall section which frankly should be buried and turned into a subway similar to what Edmonton did with the Capital Line. Now it could be argued that the Scarborough LRT is quite similar to the former, a line that will operate in an exclusive ROW that is mostly grade separated and the extension might have some segments that are separated using boom gates, which is why on paper I don't actually have an issue with the Scarborough LRT. Most of my complaints, and most of the complaints I see around here come from the fact that its a replacement of a light metro line that only had issues due to neglect, a replacement that costs billions of dollars and doesn't have any practical improvements that would justify replacing the entire line, issues such as the strange corridor and the forced linear transfer at Kennedy, while also adding new issues such as lower capacity, poorer internal circulation, and using vehicles that are more expensive and difficult to maintain.
I think what you are describing as rant this poster would suggest is information to help us simpletons understand that their views are the correct views on transit. Look how informed this post is. This poster must be correct.
If you have a problem with what I'm saying, or a proper counter argument, feel free to say it. You wanted to learn about transit? I gave you several paragraphs of data and information. If you have a rebuttal, give your rebuttal. If you don't have a rebuttal, don't waste yours and everyone else's time calling people with different opinions members of Ford Nation as if its some major insult. "Hey guys, this guy is arguing against the Scarborough LRT, so this guy's favourite news source is the Ford Nation youtube channel, a channel that hasn't uploaded a video in 6 years, Gottem there". Also:
There’s a handful of people in here on separate sides arguing in circles. Then the few people on either side like the comments as if that approval is a signal of winning arguments and the thread continues. It’s silly because no one is actually open to changing their positions. There’s plenty of better articulating people on here or stevemunro himself which have explained why this makes no sense but the pro subway crowd deep down is just concerned they are getting a subway no matter the expense and or time line. What happened to the champion coffey1 and or onecity. You don’t write like him but maybe even he got tired of the circle debate. That or he changed his name again. Anyways have fun going in circles. There is no winners in here. We’re all losers for wasting our time.

Syn is was nice catching up and I’ll check back in 2022.
Glad to see 2021 is already over.

The thing is that, at least personally when I talk about LRT, I'm specifically talking about what we're building which are these tramways. While the C-Train and the O-Train are technically LRTs, they operate in such a different ways that I'm more inclined to call them regional rail and light metro respectively. The only part of the C-Train that fails to deliver in that regard is the downtown transit mall section which frankly should be buried and turned into a subway similar to what Edmonton did with the Capital Line. Now it could be argued that the Scarborough LRT is quite similar to the former, a line that will operate in an exclusive ROW that is mostly grade separated and the extension might have some segments that are separated using boom gates, which is why on paper I don't actually have an issue with the Scarborough LRT. Most of my complaints, and most of the complaints I see around here come from the fact that its a replacement of a light metro line that only had issues due to neglect, a replacement that costs billions of dollars and doesn't have any practical improvements that would justify replacing the entire line, issues such as the strange corridor and the forced linear transfer at Kennedy, while also adding new issues such as lower capacity, poorer internal circulation, and using vehicles that are more expensive and difficult to maintain.

If you have a problem with what I'm saying, or a proper counter argument, feel free to say it. You wanted to learn about transit? I gave you several paragraphs of data and information. If you have a rebuttal, give your rebuttal. If you don't have a rebuttal, don't waste yours and everyone else's time calling people with different opinions members of Ford Nation as if its some major insult. "Hey guys, this guy is arguing against the Scarborough LRT, so this guy's favourite news source is the Ford Nation youtube channel, a channel that hasn't uploaded a video in 6 years, Gottem there". Also:

Glad to see 2021 is already over.
You know what. You’re right. See you in 2022. Say hi to coffey1 and onecity for me.

Hurontario LRT MSF from today:

C94EAB36-E1E5-4560-B08B-C83EB25F274F.jpeg
78796A8C-09AA-4683-843C-265294DB0D9E.jpeg
40A0A083-CAE2-4E7D-9954-2F1486879CA7.jpeg
668DFBB9-70BF-478B-ADD9-29F89AB76B15.jpeg
FFD7981F-B19A-441E-833C-93439C177C5F.jpeg
E4CB9590-9137-421D-827F-773D4786193B.jpeg
8A8376B0-2A32-411F-8633-CB5A94F78DA1.jpeg

It would be impossible to provide the level of local service you have with King streetcar using subway. I'm not saying King shouldn't get a subway eventually, just that when it does get a subway we may still want to have the streetcar for local service. Especially if it means we can have a less ruinously expensive line with deep stations every 500m.

LRT is a waste of money in the suburbs. Start with BRT. Once a BRT becomes saturated, it makes sense to use elevated rail with wide stop spacing (close to regional rail). We aren't going to be able to use freight corridors to play the role of regional rail in the suburbs as they don't always exist to serve travel patterns (particularly circumferential ones like Hurontario).

Thankfully, Metrolinx is starting to come around to this idea, and hopefully Finch and Hurontario will be the last time we splash out on LRT through suburbia. Most new projects on the books are BRT.

There is even a glimmer of hope that they are starting to see elevated rail to act as quasi-regional rail too. OL is a hybrid: relief line/subway downtown, perhaps transitioning to elevated more-regional rail north of Eglinton, if it is expanded that way? Seems like an elevated, 2km stop spacing is quite possible for a future extension to Don Mills/Sheppard, with stops at Lawrence, York Mills and Sheppard.

I believe many if not most of the riders on the King Streetcar would disagree.

The improved speed, frequency and reliability would more than make up for the longer stop distances. We're talking about environments that are very walkable. Like virtually everyone else in the city, offer them a subway alternative and I'm sure they'd be all for it.

I'm not sure how you can argue for the utility of the King Streetcar and then argue that LRTs are a waste of money in the suburbs. If we're going to build suburbs in a sustainable way, then LRTs absolutely have a place - especially when they're grade separated like the Scarborough LRT was going to be.

On-street rail played a major role in Toronto's growth, yet for some reason we're convinced they can't play the same role in the suburbs.

I'd argue the real waste of money is suburban subway expansion, spending billions on infrastructure that will be underused for generations.

We're doing things backwards.

I believe many if not most of the riders on the King Streetcar would disagree.

The improved speed, frequency and reliability would more than make up for the longer stop distances. We're talking about environments that are very walkable. Like virtually everyone else in the city, offer them a subway alternative and I'm sure they'd be all for it.

I'm not sure how you can argue for the utility of the King Streetcar and then argue that LRTs are a waste of money in the suburbs. If we're going to build suburbs in a sustainable way, then LRTs absolutely have a place - especially when they're grade separated like the Scarborough LRT was going to be.

On-street rail played a major role in Toronto's growth, yet for some reason we're convinced they can't play the same role in the suburbs.

I'd argue the real waste of money is suburban subway expansion, spending billions on infrastructure that will be underused for generations.

We're doing things backwards.
The big issue is speed. The speed that is required to get people from point A to point B in downtown effectively is much smaller than in suburbs. In a large downtown core, everything is so packed and close together that the majority of trips are only a few blocks. This makes using the subway a bigger burden than taking the trams for most. Going down into a subway station only to ride for 1 to two stops isn't much faster than taking a streetcar, and requires the user to walk through the stations. This isn't the case in suburbs. When you're in the suburbs, your average trip will be in the double digits in km, since most places people have to travel kilometres to get to work or go to a specific centre. This makes LRTs incredibly ineffective in suburbs given their high cost. Sure BRT isn't any more effective than LRT, but BRT also costs a lot less, and as afronsen mentioned, are a good interim solution which can later be replaced by elevated rail when density grows.

And no, this isn't some cooky way of doing things, this is literally how transit construction is done all over the world. Take a look at cities like Melbourne, Sydney, Moscow, and Vienna. The metros are large radial lines whose primary purpose is to bring people into the downtown, and transport through downtown is handled by trams. None of these cities are building large crosstown LRT lines in lieu of rapid transit, and the only one that did (Moscow's Line 12 was a short Light Metro Line that was quite similar to the Scarborough RT) considers it to be one of the city's biggest mistakes and there is an effort to replace it with a proper metro extension, just like Toronto, and this is a city that knows how to build proper transit.

The improved speed, frequency and reliability would more than make up for the longer stop distances.
I kind of doubt it. If you are only riding a couple kms, it probably doesn't save you much time if you have to walk further to a subway station (no matter what, subway stops will be spread further apart), go down a few flights of stairs, go up a few flights of stairs/escalators and then walk further to your destination. If you are not going far, the average speed is not that important. What might be needed is to make frequency more reliable for the streetcar. Again, we could probably eventually justify subway on King, but the stations will likely be 700-1000m apart, just because they are going to be monumentally expensive.

Also should add that no one is really advocating 'subways' in the suburbs here. Just grade separated. In an ideal world we would have left ourselves ROWs for rail transportation that could be grade separated from cross-streets. Unfortunately we didn't. Our next cheapest solution is elevated rail. That can't be justified without a good base of ridership, which we should build with BRT. But any intensification along BRT corridors should be designed with planned elevated rail to be added eventually: reserving space for stations, ensuring appropriate setbacks, making it clear to everyone that it is coming eventually and design buildings accordingly.

I kind of doubt it. If you are only riding a couple kms, it probably doesn't save you much time if you have to walk further to a subway station (no matter what, subway stops will be spread further apart), go down a few flights of stairs, go up a few flights of stairs/escalators and then walk further to your destination. If you are not going far, the average speed is not that important. What might be needed is to make frequency more reliable for the streetcar. Again, we could probably eventually justify subway on King, but the stations will likely be 700-1000m apart, just because they are going to be monumentally expensive.

That doesn't really live up to the experience of riding the line. During rush hour a few KMs is a relatively long trip. Going from King & John to Liberty Village is probably around 20 minutes on a good day.

The same distance on the Bloor Line (say, Landsdowne to Bathurst) is about 4 minutes.

Going up and down a flight of stairs is a small price to pay, especially for people used to it. Things like transfers and moving above and below ground are not unusual for people who live in the city and use transit. It's expected.

Also should add that no one is really advocating 'subways' in the suburbs here. Just grade separated. In an ideal world we would have left ourselves ROWs for rail transportation that could be grade separated from cross-streets. Unfortunately we didn't. Our next cheapest solution is elevated rail. That can't be justified without a good base of ridership, which we should build with BRT. But any intensification along BRT corridors should be designed with planned elevated rail to be added eventually: reserving space for stations, ensuring appropriate setbacks, making it clear to everyone that it is coming eventually and design buildings accordingly.

Unfortunately, as a society we have a rather skewed idea of what transit is and what different modes of transit are for.

I agree with having more grade separated transit, but even that will require suburbs to grow in a way they've been resistant to for some time. Higher order transit used to be the result of greater density and higher ridership, not the other way around.

LRTs have a place in the suburbs. I think having an above ground portion of the Eglinton LRT along the Golden Mile was the right move.

What's fascinating about all of this is that the Scarborough LRT was grade separated and elevated yet it was still shot down. We've gone full circle. :p

Last edited:
Reactions: max
I think having an above ground portion of the Eglinton LRT along the Golden Mile was the right move.
Had we elevated instead of surface running, we could have avoided the inevitable issues with bunching and traffic disrupting operations, gone to full ATC, used high floor rolling stock, etc. Eglinton probably shouldn't have been low floor LRV, when 75% of it is going to be in a tunnel. Madness.

I agree with having more grade separated transit, but even that will require suburbs to grow in a way they've been resistant to for some time. Higher order transit used to be the result of greater density and higher ridership, not the other way around.
We get high ridership by having good higher order transit and using buses to funnel people into it. Trying to replace the bus with mediocre higher order transit is suboptimal. I think encouraging active transportation (bikes) to cut out the bus legs of those trips for many riders would also be a good idea.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, as a society we have a rather skewed idea of what transit is and what different modes of transit are for.
More like you have a skewed idea of what transit is for
Factually Untrue. When the Yonge Subway was built, it ran through what was at the time the middle of nowhere, now Bloor-Yonge and Midtown are all significantly built up. If you look at other cities you see the exact same thing. In London for instance, the Tube was built in areas that were 100% greenfield, and the advertisements for new extensions went along the lines of "Look at this beautiful green land, and this tube train could take you to downtown in 20 minutes. Buy this property now", and thus tons of greenfields turned into semi-dense suburbia. This is also the reason why the Northern Heights Plan was never completed because after the war the issue of sprawl became a major one, so they never finished the Northern Line to avoid having development reach too far out of London. The key point ultimately being that transit came first, development came second, NEVER the other way around.
LRTs have a place in the suburbs. I think having an above ground portion of the Eglinton LRT along the Golden Mile was the right move.
Above ground? Yes. In the median of the roadway? Absolutely not.
What's fascinating about all of this is that the Scarborough LRT was grade separated and elevated yet it was still shot down. We've gone full circle. :p
I find it funny that you never actually address the issues people have. Its not "Scarborough LRT bad because its Elevated LRT", but "Scarborough LRT bad because its a worse version of a refurbishment plan that was already on the table before Miller came in and changed it".

Had we elevated instead of surface running, we could have avoided the inevitable issues with bunching and traffic disrupting operations, gone to full ATC, used high floor rolling stock, etc. Eglinton probably shouldn't have been low floor LRV, when 75% of it is going to be in a tunnel. Madness.

It makes perfect sense when the plan is to add significant density to the area.

We get high ridership by having good higher order transit and using buses to funnel people into it. Trying to replace the bus with mediocre higher order transit is suboptimal. I think encouraging active transportation (bikes) to cut out the bus legs of those trips for many riders would also be a good idea.

When has building transit and hoping people would come ever worked? The Sheppard Line is a cautionary tale that we're all too willing to ignore.

Higher order transit used to be built in areas that have the density and ridership to justify it. That's exactly why Hurontario is getting an LRT.

Instead we've spent the past 50+ years doing the opposite. The results are obvious.

Higher order transit used to be built in areas that have the density and ridership to justify it. That's exactly why Hurontario is getting an LRT.
Either we should have spent a billion or so more (if that much) and built it elevated, or saved 80% and built it as BRT. I think a BRT would have been fine.

You get riders when transit is convenient and faster than a car in traffic.

Back