Let’s be honest that the sight of transit is a blight on the Brampton communities world class streetscape.
I was in contact with someone in contact with the higherups at Brampton, and the reality is even sadder. Brampton has listed in their 2040 Vision that the transportation priority in their region is Pedestrians > Cycling > Transit > Cars, and they're following that as literally as they can. The options shortlisted for this extension are A) Surface Level in Mixed Traffic, or B) Underground. Why Mixed Traffic? Because if its in its own separate lanes, they can't reduce the number of lanes on Main Street from 4 to 3 to give cyclists their own dedicated lanes. In other words, transit is being completely thrown in the dirt in favour of cycling.

^ For context, the original HMLRT EPR had mixed running as well, from Nanwood to Wellington. This 2021 surface option is a shorter stretch of mixed running, from Wellington to Nelson St E for the turn into the terminal station next to the Brampton GO Station.

I was in contact with someone in contact with the higherups at Brampton, and the reality is even sadder. Brampton has listed in their 2040 Vision that the transportation priority in their region is Pedestrians > Cycling > Transit > Cars, and they're following that as literally as they can. The options shortlisted for this extension are A) Surface Level in Mixed Traffic, or B) Underground. Why Mixed Traffic? Because if its in its own separate lanes, they can't reduce the number of lanes on Main Street from 4 to 3 to give cyclists their own dedicated lanes. In other words, transit is being completely thrown in the dirt in favour of cycling.

It should be noted that the "2040 Vision" document is just that. A vision document. The City of Brampton is going through an Official Plan update and updating its Transit and Transportation Master Plan. Those two documents probably give a more comprehensive overview of the context. Have you seen in any staff report for any road/LRT/BRT/BRT lite project since the start of this term the literal use of "Pedestrians > Cycling > Transit > Cars"? Happy to read if you have.

Also, isn't the use of "completely thrown" a little bit of an exaggeration? Even with the two block portion of surface mixed running, there will be some advantages to the LRT on Main and Hurontario compared to today's existing condition.

It should be noted that the "2040 Vision" document is just that. A vision document. The City of Brampton is going through an Official Plan update and updating its Transit and Transportation Master Plan. Those two documents probably give a more comprehensive overview of the context. Have you seen in any staff report for any road/LRT/BRT/BRT lite project since the start of this term the literal use of "Pedestrians > Cycling > Transit > Cars"? Happy to read if you have.

Also, isn't the use of "completely thrown" a little bit of an exaggeration? Even with the two block portion of surface mixed running, there will be some advantages to the LRT on Main and Hurontario compared to today's existing condition.
This comes from a verbal confirmation with the head of Brampton's Official Plan Review Team, so unfortunately I do not have a written source. Take from that as you will.

I will add though that this prioritization of cycling > transit can be seen in other places as well. Bike lanes were installed along Main Street south, however council refuses the installation of bus lanes along the corridor, despite the fact that the bus lanes would carry 20k people per day, compared to the 750 people that would make use of the bike lanes. Part of that is allegedly because BT is concerned that bus lanes would prevent further upgrades, but in general the current council term has put the least amount of investment into transit compared to other modes like biking so far.

^ In terms of that so-called prioritization, what about Queen St and the BRT planned there? Are you concerned that bike lanes will be added as part of that project and there will be negative impacts to the proposed BRT service quality/operations? Are there any other transit routes where you are worried that cycling infrastructure will be prioritized over good and evidence-based transit?

Last edited:
^ In terms of that so-called prioritization, what about Queen St and the BRT planned there? Are you concerned that bike lanes will be added as part of that project and there will be negative impacts to the proposed BRT there? Are there any other transit routes where you are worried that cycling infrastructure will be prioritized over good and evidence-based transit?
Considering its a metrolinx project, probably not. Plus that corridor doesn't seem to struggle with space as much as Main Street, although the downtown segment near Main Street might be cut down. Its entirely possible that at least with the current city council, the BRT lanes in downtown Brampton might be cut in favour of bike lanes.

^ Exactly addresses my point about the concern regarding the so-called prioritization list ("Brampton has listed in their 2040 Vision that the transportation priority in their region" (emphasis added)) trumping on an Official Plan/Master Plan/Project level every transit project in Brampton with somehow cycling infrastructure diluting transit projects. It's more complex than that. Metrolinx has a significant role with the Queen BRT.

Last edited:
Dundas traffic lights are now working, but the concrete medium still needs to be remove. All existing fixtures gone.

Boy, they were going gang busters weeks ago placing poles at various intersections, but that it. Nothing strung for those poles as well being anchor down. No construction fencing up for the west side south of the 403 nor the bus platforms.

From today:

20210523_162840.jpg
20210523_162904.jpg
20210523_162949.jpg
20210523_162952.jpg
20210523_163129.jpg
20210523_163132.jpg

May 24
More up on site
Hurontario LRT Zone (2) Port Credit Station To South Service Rd
51206477340_420acf096f_b.jpg

51206477240_2dd0647502_b.jpg

Intersection to be remove including bridge and road.
51205410126_3a37160356_b.jpg

51204695407_11c30a4762_b.jpg

New intersection and road extension to the west
51206176619_072408c338_b.jpg

51205616618_a0545f7f59_b.jpg

51204695017_907214f14f_b.jpg

Hurontario LRT Zone (1) Port Credit Station
51206475265_db08dac49e_b.jpg

51205408271_206936a621_b.jpg

51206472255_409d719dd2_b.jpg

51205615228_17637a61f6_b.jpg

51205408006_a877b076a6_b.jpg

51206474845_a66c451098_b.jpg

51205407846_cc57350377_b.jpg

51205614753_99fc1405e5_b.jpg

51205407421_9a83edfa5d_b.jpg

I thought the telecom and other underground cables were moved already over the last two years.
I thought it was also as I saw all kinds of material stock pile for ducking. I know for sure the section north of CP track was done as that was one area I saw the most of all. Going south I saw very little of it yearly. The gas line work has taken a lot longer to the point extra work was done that wasn't originally plan or require, Still doing work at the Queensway and to be completed in a few months.

Back