Maybe had Brampton had their act together, the Federal government would have made it rain on their LRT extension today.

Further on this, there was a Council workshop on downtown Brampton on Friday and the materials reference LRT on Main.

If you notice on the Downtown plan that they are calling for 4 tracks west of the Brampton Station and 3 tracks short turn for the station and east of the station.

I am assuming they are looking at 4 tracks in place of the 3 before moving the corridor to 4 tracks 100% something I have been calling for close to 20 years. One hopes the new Brampton Terminal allows for this 4th track that will most likely be on the north side.

^Which presumably means the heritage-designated train station will be removed or relocated eventually.

- Paul

make-a-wish-and-it-comes-true-72574213.png

From link.

so the platforms are only being built for single length LRVs? I had in my head that platforms would be able to accommodate double length.
The light rail vehicles will be approximately 30m in length. The platforms will be approximately 90 m in length, or about three LRV's. However, they will be able to shorten the platforms based on ridership, starting with two vehicle lengths.

The light rail vehicles will be approximately 30m in length. The platforms will be approximately 90 m in length, or about three LRV's. However, they will be able to shorten the platforms based on ridership, starting with two vehicle lengths.
The Hurontario LRT will be using Alstom Citadis Spirit, which is 48 m long.

During today's Council meeting there was a motion moved by Mayor Brown about replacing watermains, utilities, and doing streetscaping on Main Street, the LRT situation was mentioned by members of Council and staff. At one point, Councillor Doug Whillans tried to move the first motion to STOP the LRT on Main Street (the C325-2015 resolution I believe was the October 2015 motion to stop any LRT on Main Street), but then also implied he only wanted the tunnel motion, even though that's not what the motion said. The Clerk said that it would be a reconsideration motion and require 2/3rds. The Councillor then said he'd be okay with the tunnel, but the second motion below was passed so his motion became redundant and wasn't voted on. At one point, it sounded like Mayor Brown was/is leaning to the tunnel option, and indicated the preference by the current party in power at Queen's Park for underground transit (he's probably thinking of Eglinton West LRT and SSE). Of course, the Province just provided $1.7B for the Hamilton LRT, the OL has an above ground portion, and the YNSE has an above-ground portion.

Side note: I believe the 2018-522T motion from the previous term of Council and was for the Downtown Reimagined contract. It excluded surface or tunnel LRT. One media publication's take on this is here.

First motion:

1621445826862.png

Staff later on noted that the results of the EA aren't done, and the EA has to follow due process and seemed to imply there would be legal risks to the City if the a decision was made before the EA results were done and the latest PIC results were known.

In response to a question, the GM of Brampton Transit (who is one of the LRT study point-people), said that staff hope to bring the next Main LRT report to Council at the end of June. Maybe the 23rd or 26th. It sounds like that will be the next opportunity for staff to comment on the two options (surface and tunnel) and to summarize the feedback from PIC No. 2. I think it's fairly predictable what the feedback will be and who had the time to participate.

The adopted (second) motion passed 11-0 and is here (screencapture of part of it):

1621445722825.png

Last edited:
During today's Council meeting there was a motion moved by Mayor Brown about replacing watermains, utilities, and doing streetscaping on Main Street, the LRT situation was mentioned by members of Council and staff. At one point, Councillor Doug Whillans tried to move the first motion to STOP the LRT on Main Street (the C325-2015 resolution I believe was the October 2015 motion to stop any LRT on Main Street), but then also implied he only wanted the tunnel motion, even though that's not what the motion said. The Clerk said that it would be a reconsideration motion and require 2/3rds. The Councillor then said he'd be okay with the tunnel, but the second motion below was passed so his motion became redundant and wasn't voted on. At one point, it sounded like Mayor Brown was/is leaning to the tunnel option, and indicated the preference by the current party in power at Queen's Park for underground transit (he's probably thinking of Eglinton West LRT and SSE). Of course, the Province just provided $1.7B for the Hamilton LRT, the OL has an above ground portion, and the YNSE has an above-ground portion.

Side note: I believe the 2018-522T motion from the previous term of Council and was for the Downtown Reimagined contract. It excluded surface or tunnel LRT. One media publication's take on this is here.

First motion:

View attachment 320888

Staff later on noted that the results of the EA aren't done, and the EA has to follow due process and seemed to imply there would be legal risks to the City if the a decision was made before the EA results were done and the latest PIC results were known.

In response to a question, the GM of Brampton Transit (who is one of the LRT study point-people), said that staff hope to bring the next Main LRT report to Council at the end of June. Maybe the 23rd or 26th. It sounds like that will be the next opportunity for staff to comment on the two options (surface and tunnel) and to summarize the feedback from PIC No. 2. I think it's fairly predictable what the feedback will be and who had the time to participate.

The adopted (second) motion passed 11-0 and is here (screencapture of part of it):

View attachment 320886
Let’s be honest that the sight of transit is a blight on the Brampton communities world class streetscape.

Back